Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3D-= MKF random trek thread =-

• MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9796 Posts: 5,323Member
    Capped strips and layout of others. Also started blocking in details to see where everything fits.

tsukuru-nx-0278.jpg

tsukuru-nx-0279.jpg

tsukuru-nx-0280.jpg

Clearly some of these have not been cut down yet as surrounding details are unknown atm. Large red/brown area is where the cutout would be it would resemble the one on the linerunner or contain a possible shuttle bay but primary purpose is a long distance deflection field while the main deflector is used to shape the warp field and "quantum tunnel" Ship registry is something I am unsure about. I did not like the idea of such high numbers in the original estimate but Other ships like the onimaru and linerunner are a bit too close. As for canon ships I thought to look for they seem OK. I doubt 3 or 4 thousand ships were registered since late TNG.

Linerunner/Loegaire sample: she was designed as a fast support ship for the dominion war but was late to the party ( I forget the rest of the hogwash I made up for this) ship is intended as a larger defiant, a ship derived from lessons learned from as such.
    linerunner-v4-update-020.jpg

linerunner-v4-179a.jpg

Onimaru: ship was intended to fall between the Galaxy and SOV classes for more non diplomatic missions and more of a large deep space science vessel. Later geared up as a warboat like the SOV to defend from the borg as it had adapted warp fields to remove the warp/subspace barrier imposed on older designs.
    nebulae-class-d2-1280.jpg

sotl2014-003-web.jpg

I should probably dig up some of these older models and update them to current settings and render off some scenes. I guess by the time I am done with them I am sick of seeing them HEH.
    JES
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
  • HelotHelot391 Posts: 164Member
    Path extruded splines = crap work. Never got the hang of how MAX does that so I don't do it. I love this ship.

Those oldies but goodies are fantastic.
    Not really spline extrusion more like warping a object along a path. Just path orientation and results never match.

Stuff from last night just didn't post as renders were taking too long.

Well not much progress today/night. Just some panels and a lot of undone work on the shuttle bays. I guess I should figure out what to do with that hump thing and what sort of pattern for those rear windows on the backside of the superstructure. I might be doing some simplifying. Also since I am not putting the phaser strips in that gray area it looks a bit lost. Maybe I should put in some huge windowed skylight room there instead. Heck most of the windows on the saucer are nearly skylights anyhow.

tsukuru-nx-0283.jpg

tsukuru-nx-0284.jpg
    JES
    Another day of meh progress.

tsukuru-nx-0287.jpg

tsukuru-nx-0288.jpg
    JES
  • CreativeZollerCreativeZoller61 Posts: 0Member
    i really would like some videos or post from you where you're showing how to make those lightning materials for deflector, busard scope, warp grill, etc. amazing works, keep it up ^^
    It is just arch design with self lighting or lum shaders in the additional color slot. Do nto know how it would work for other apps than max though. Blender I think refers to such materials as emissions shaders. All of my lighting and materials are reality based. IE how would I create an effect as a physical modeler. So bussards warp grids etc all have objects that reflect bounce or filter the light. There are no "3d" tricks to it like when using scanline you have to "fake" effects to get a visually proper result. There should be some tuts in the discreet database on these features in max. Again search for info on self illumination and LUM/glow shaders and then fool around as how the glow appears is affected by your render settings how much FG is shooting in photons etc.

As for videos I do not bother with them as the views vs time/effort/cost did not balance the views. Not to mention the BS google pulls with changing stuff around for the worst. (none of my videos is "unscaled" anymore meaning you are forced to look at LQ resampled videos) 1920X1200 is sampled down to 1080p.
    Could almost kick myself for the lack of poly density in this area. Ignore the groove size I have to redo it used the wrong measurements for it.

tsukuru-nx-0290.jpg

tsukuru-nx-0291.jpg
    Not much change just some panels on nacelles and elsewhere. Mostly a test to see how much detail will be needed inside those larger rooms. I will later on go back and fully fill them out, maybe. lol

tsukuru-nx-0295.jpg

tsukuru-nx-0296.jpg

There is a render of it next to the linerunner but sadly that is of a differing gamma setting. I will be looking at this tomorrow as I want to make sure I am set with the gamma as it is now or if I want to revert it. (1.8 vs 2.2 I think) I have found some of the lum glows on hidden objects is looking a bit washed out. It was part of a linear workflow thing but I have found over time it is just more of a headache as I have to consider that most people wont work with it so if I use someone elses objects and whatnot they often are all a mess.

Add in I seem to be finding some of MAX's tools just do not like the gamma being set to anything not default. One thing I had real issue with the default stuff was med gray looking whites and nasty black clipping. Anyhow It is kind of interesting having close timeframe ships in universe but distant in modeling. I think the linerunner originated sometime back in 2006 but the current version is more like 2009-10. I clearly would do a lot of things differently now EXP in how shapes inter-mesh as it does suffer that bits stuck on and it is lacking some of the style hints of latter trek like pennants and at one time of all silly things it lacked right of way lighting. Anyhow that ship is not of importance now lol.

I should be back onto the wedge trek in a month or so.

Oh another thing I have been debating on is this things color. Seems much of anything after TNG tv run was leaning towards flat gray vs the eggshell blue/green. I sort of liked the not more gray but dunno it would fit in better if it was.
    JES
    Interior for the aft room decor stolen from the Onimaru for now. The key colors are temp right now as I am not sure yet what theme I want to use. One thing I forgot is a replicator or two. But heh probably wont see in there too often to tell.

tsukuru-nx-0297.jpg

Boy it took forever to render this heh. 3.5freaking hours!
    JES
  • I14R10I14R1070 Posts: 140Member
    That's nothing. Blender's cycles would render that 35 hours to get that low noise. Or maybe I'm doing something wrong with it.
    Dunno, look about for interpolation and or photon multipliers etc. Im sure I could set max up to take 60hras with that render exp if I set the couch materials and floors to not be such low sampling. Anyhow with my general rig 3.5 hours is forever. EXP for a wip render. If I could only afford one of those server procs and boards, have like 4times or more the cores working on this would make renders be a simple 5min affair. MAX is utter crap when it comes to using a gpu so least cycles you can make up with filling available pcie slots with gpus. AFAIK you do not even need matching cards sli for gpu compute on a render designed for it.

Food for thought if you have a compatible mobo and some gups laying about.
  • I14R10I14R1070 Posts: 140Member
    It seems that GPU rendering is as slow as CPU rendering. I don't have a very powerful graphic card though.
    Ah I was just thinking maybe you might have old ones laying about. Granted CUDA multi gpu render might be like multi system render on max. If you have say 4 of the same pc each added to the farm is about half as powerful as the one before it. Anyhow I have tonnes of gpu laying about none of which are top raking cards anymore. The 3 most powerful are 2 460gtx oc and a 770gtx (some asus tube thing) So if your mobo supports at least 3 8X pcie it might improve your performance.

Anyhow prior to last week I always thought CUDA or other gpu compute if SLI was involved it required typical game behavior in needing matched cards or families. Finding out if I just crammed old gpu in to add performance left me wishing MAX had gpu compute. Even better would be a cpu/gpu blending. ATM I think that is not done at all. Even Adobe some buts are cpu others are gpu only.
    Here is a quick update showing junk in the rooms. There are some odd reflections off some of the tables in the forward lower room that looks like lights. I guess I should make the tabletops a matte gray.

tsukuru-nx-0300.jpg
    JES
    Mostly clearing up intersecting polies within a few of the interior rooms and messing about with those dark panels. I am thinking of removing the rooms just above the impulse deck on the saucer area (one window on each side) They are far enough back that the drive elements themselves clear it is just exterior details make it look like it goes further back.

tsukuru-nx-0307.jpg
    Replaced that hump thing with a control room. Dunno if it is any more purposeful than the hump though.

tsukuru-nx-0308.jpg
    JES
  • SeanPSeanP218 Posts: 256Member
    It's looking really good MKF. Pretty cool having the interiors behind the windows like that. :thumb: :D
  • rojrenrojren2304 Louisville, Kentucky USAPosts: 1,971Member
    I like the number of big windows. That's one complaint I have against most Federation designs - most of the windows are tiny compared to the rest of the ship.
    Thanks guys, many of the holes on canon ships were fairly large 4X7ft or more, though they did shrink in voyager etc. probably more of a case of annoyance to float dental acrylic or other resin into thousands of holes. :D (d was fiber but you couldn't see through those unlike many of the ones in the E where they actually had some furnishings in the larger rooms.)

cimg1628.jpg

More changing things around.

tsukuru-nx-0312.jpg
    JES
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1115 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,567Member
    I always love the design of your ships, and the mad detail you put into them.
  • SaquistSaquist1 Posts: 0Member
    I like the top and rear and of course your usual amazing greebling but the bottom and front have a strange awkwardness. The disproportions are both disconcerting and fresh.
    Mostly small detail work, some of which does not really show up at this rez and in the lighting I have. I was testing out the surfacing and found I need to make it more subtle.

tsukuru-nx-0319.jpg
    JES
    MadKoiFish wrote: »
    Mostly small detail work, some of which does not really show up at this rez and in the lighting I have. I was testing out the surfacing and found I need to make it more subtle.

tsukuru-nx-0319.jpg

It's a unique lighting arrangement. If possible I like to see it with less ambient light and these soft glows.
  • Wishbone_AshWishbone_Ash325 Posts: 250Member
    This ship makes me think of a dog squatting to take a dump...
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann631 Posts: 1,287Member
    Aww! I stepped on a shuttlecraft!
    Well it is mid nov and as promised wedge trek is back.

Changes all around, adjusted both hulls messed with the butt some and changed out the bridge for something more traditional. Again I kept much of the old stuff just in case I change my mind. I think so far these changes are for the better in less clutter and more inline with a TOS era ship. Or rather a slightly updated TOS styling.

wedge-trek-081.jpg

wedge-trek-082.jpg

wedge-trek-083.jpg

wedge-trek-084.jpg
    JES
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972321 Posts: 1,202Member
    Nice to see this back. Looking awesome.
    I keep fooling with things. Altered the secondary hull again. I think it is almost to the point I should start collapsing all these subdiv bits.

wedge-trek-094.jpg

wedge-trek-095.jpg

wedge-trek-096.jpg

wedge-trek-097.jpg
    JES
    A better Discovery perhaps.
    Saquist wrote: »
    A better Discovery perhaps.

This probably won't be the first time Madkoifish's design appears on Trekyards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMb8wamzQG4