Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3D-= MKF random trek thread =-

1686970717274»

• ViperViper1187 Posts: 677Administrator
    I just use this script: http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/vertex-cleaner

It removes all extra vertices produced by the booleans. Cleanup is much faster this way.

Do you leave the panels modeled? Or do you eventually transfer them to textures?
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish3497 Right in the plumsPosts: 4,514Member
    All modeled as I dislike textured details and how max manages textures. Not to mention I hate unwrapping. This model will be mostly modeled as it is being done for cross platform compatibility and I am not sure how much UVW unwrapping will translate over in a FBX export.
    Not to mention much if this wont be stenciled detail in the end but extruded paneling.
    BolianAdmiralWarp Propulsion Laboratory
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
    MadKoiFish wrote: »
    All modeled as I dislike textured details and how max manages textures. Not to mention I hate unwrapping. This model will be mostly modeled as it is being done for cross platform compatibility and I am not sure how much UVW unwrapping will translate over in a FBX export.
    Not to mention much if this wont be stenciled detail in the end but extruded paneling.

UV transfers just fine these days. I do it all the time. Unwrapping is awesome :tongue: It opens a ton of possibilities these days. What's wrong with how max manages textures btw? Never had a problem.

As for extruded detail, I just build the panels in a separate object and conform. Ain't got time to fiddle with cutting and extruding.
    edited February 21 #2195
    Textures at oblique angles look like crap. I am not going into detail on this. I choose to texture something based on what I want out of it.

In my experience UVW does not transfer, least not enough to risk spending hours unwrapping and all the headache it entails to have it all fail at the end.

To me conform and that method is fiddling and wasting my time on something I can accomplish much faster by cutting and extruding.

Post edited by MadKoiFish on
  • VALKYRIE013VALKYRIE013439 Posts: 1,433Member
    Looks good Koi!
    Yeah, I just switched to some star wars stuff because I was spining my wheels on a voyager refit idea. Sometimes just go take a break and build something quick helps clean out the cobwebs!

As always, looking forward to more!
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral713 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,074Member
    Aye... always excited for updates, lol.
    Here is work form a few days ago. Altered pattern and grids. I might hold off and get to the rest of the ship to see if what I have here properly works and fits with the rest. That whole isolation thing heh. Maybe Ill rig it up later and do a full render. ATM the nacelle is a master with the ones on the ship clones.

emissary-0127.jpg

emissary-0128.jpg
    GestaltlewisnivenWarp Propulsion LaboratoryLizzy777srspicer
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral713 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,074Member
    I like it!
    Well, I can't deny that your results are fantastic. Really clean job.
    Bit of messing around with the hdri and some of the materials. Just not been happy with the hdri. I have been using sphere but tried mirrored ball. Heck I might not even be doing it right in vray lol. It is applied to a dome light and under texture I have the vrayhdri shader. >_>
    emissary-0130.jpg
    emissary-0131.jpg

Also goofing off with the idea of replacing asphyxiated alice II. That and messing about with the assets. Needs a lot of welding in and gloss/lum maps (apparently those were not released) Oddly the dev release these with each game update, guess more people do with them the more promotion they get. Dunno. They are all toon shaded and I haven't looked much into that in vray. They came with rigs but the rigs do not mesh I guess with 2019. I see the gizmos but it is "skinned" and it seems 2019 wont allow this? shrug lol. I know most are bringing these in with mmd and blender.

it is really odd how they do the face as it is a lot of detached parts and strange shapes. and I am guessing eye blinks and expressions are related to "stuff" floating in her head. >_> An organics animator I am not.

Real stink is I have to reapply the maps, there SORTA is texture IDs but it really does not match up so it is a slow selection of bits here and there. Real issue is anything hard edged is detached. So to get corners there is a seam. This means she is a pile of detached bits. Hair alone is like 40 parts. YUCK. you can see the seam running across the bridge of the nose and down the cheeks.

I would love to import at least all my faves and rig them but bleah, not to mention I have not the foggiest idea how to do the face with the teeth tongue and all those floaty bits.

xinyan-01.jpg

probably a lot of replication of others work as I saw some steam lib has them but I have no idea what is needed to gain access to those assets. Likely it is for some posing app on steam and well I do not use front ends. I should some day get into it as loads of silly games for cheap on there.
    BolianAdmiralLizzy777