Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3D-= MKF random trek thread =-

• FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    I have only seen fan stuff for that station, unfortunately.
    It was always in the background, so I don't think there are any good refs.
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9786 Posts: 5,321Member
    Yeah found a image Doug posted ages ago and is much cleaner than the jpged up pile of $hit that is floating around the net now and it is the object from that I guess is a book cover? Not found any other angles and sadly both images that upper ring set is a bit meh and the bits on the ends are not clear what it is doing. I might give Doug a ring and see if he has anything for it. Not that it will be prominent in my use but hey if I have the asset it might appear in other images. Really dragging not having all my assets in Vray.

The one thing I need to do is decide what I am looking at. The rim things with big white bits with blue glows in do not look like windows but more like textures to hint at bays? It is the same texture stretched across all those areas on all the smaller discs as well as the large end bits. Thinking open bays for workbees or multiple replicator bays??? lol

galaxy-0461.jpg

galaxy-0462.jpg

Image shows it scaled to the galaxy based on windows and those what look like runabout landing pads from DS9. Render also shows the rings as the same object when clearly the upper one is smaller. Just temp. Being lazy and using the Galaxy's hull mat but will probably go a flat gray as I am guessing these are more likely from the Ambassador era or earlier. And yes likely a lot will be done with textures. I wont be modeling all the windows with rooms etc. Least I do not plan to for now.
    ashleytingerLizzy777BolianAdmiral
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    edited June 2020 #1864
    I looked for this a few years back and as you indicate - the references are slim to none. These are the two best (likely canon) I have - the others questionable. At the time, I assumed that someone (Doug Drexler?) drew up something fast for a background image in a quick shot of Utopia Planetia. You can tell it was rapidly done because the tiny windows on the dumb bell ends and core of the station appear to be applied as a texture and not cut in. All in vain, because you can't see them in the shot anyway. I may be wrong but I think it was used in Voyager. It's interesting to see what looks like an Excelsior Class in a TMP Enterprise Drydock. Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't that a scale problem?
    9e18k57n9p3n.jpg
    kaffw2hyiips.jpg
    Post edited by Brandenberg on
    ashleytingerLizzy777BolianAdmiral
    Quickie update. Imported in a shuttle and a lame danube (yeah still using these ugly green things) and well if those flat areas are for runabouts they are quite large for them. Though the yellow outlines could just be a low grav area with the red bit the actual elevator. If so then I might need to scale it up a bit to fit the danube nose in.
    galaxy-0464.jpg
    galaxy-0465.jpg

Clearly I will be taking liberties with the station as well.
    Found this after someone linked me a smaller image.
    latest?cb=20120327193510
    It sort of helps see some things better. Clearly the model is super low rez considering I think it is the 3d model used in voy and was only 5 to 8 pixels high. lol

I have considered maybe I should look at older stations like the tmp office complex as this is a pre tng period. Dunno opinions?
    LoopholeFreakRekkertLizzy777BolianAdmiral
  • count23count23361 Posts: 781Member
    Don't use the book model, they're inaccurate and hastily put together. Not the original studio model.

there isn't an eaglemoss version out there? That'd be based off screen evidence and the Voy CG model.
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
    What evidence do you have for this?

The model above on that book cover is the exact same model as the one Doug Drexler posted and is pictured in other references. Look at the textures and faceting EG the evidence of the polygons it matches these following images as well as that fuzzy Voyager screen cap. Only thing missing and always is with some of the assets is lighting. Given the track record of Doug posting images of show assets give more credence that this IS the studio model. If not it is based on it.

https://forums.scifi-meshes.com/uploads/editor/m7/kaffw2hyiips.jpg
    https://forums.scifi-meshes.com/uploads/editor/tk/9e18k57n9p3n.jpg
    https://www.neutralzone.de/database/Federation/Station/Yards/UtopiaPlanitiaFleetYards37.jpg

I have found some fan models but almost all have bits here and there that are wrong. The game models are not even worth mentioning as they do not even match the fuzzy voy screen cap.

Could probably clear it up by asking Doug himself.
    Ok shot Doug a email, as it is like 2am.

here is where it sits atm as I mess with scale and ratios of parts. I think my lower platform domes are all wrong. Dunno heh. Likely though I might redo the scale of the thing.

Ignore the dark stripe as that keeps moving all over as I readjust parts.
    galaxy-0471.jpg
    galaxy-0472.jpg
    galaxy-0473.jpg

Plans, windows on the large domes, small domes and central pillars would be offices or quarters/living spaces. The large white and cyan glow parts are either open replicator bays or open bays for cargo construction craft. The large blue doors on all the domes are shuttle bays with cargo or supplies/large elements like prefabbed generators weapons units etc. Reasoning on this is basically scale of the parts. Heck they could be huge tractor emitters to move things around and "anchor" the station. Shrug lol.

Oh also I plan to weld those 3 columns into one mass so it would be round until near where they touch then bridge.

ashleytingerLizzy777BrandenbergBolianAdmiralLeoBerlin
    I make comments about size but heh that speck to the right is a 5'10" figure. Heck I can dock those shuttles in those braces in the pylons.
    galaxy-0475.jpg
    ashleytingerLizzy777BrandenbergBolianAdmiral
    Some temp windows for the heck of it. I will be doing proper ones later. This was just to test how they light up etc. They are I think close to the right size, just need spacing and a bump frame that accounts for windows that are off, and use a proper map to randomize on and off vs misc blurry stuff.
    up-station-0003.jpg
    up-station-0004.jpg

Anyhow mix mat in diffuse for hull vs windows. Self ilum (emissive) with a mix mat with the windows as a mask and a blurry photoset for the color. And the window map for the bump. Probably could do a complicated mask composite for gloss so the windows are glossy with the hull at the default. And then uvw it all with channels so the windows and hull textures are separate. Think I did a tut on this sort of crap but with clear glass to avoid modeling the frame etc. Think it was posted here. . . . . lol.

Also confirmation the book model is the show model.
    BrandenbergWarp Propulsion LaboratoryLizzy777BolianAdmiralLeoBerlinFreak
    MadKoiFish wrote: »
    Also confirmation the book model is the show model.

Doug answered you? Cool.
    edited June 2020 #1872
    Yeah was kinda shocked he was up at like 5am. (well this is assuming he is in LA atm.) I tend to avoid bugging him about things though. Working cons, I remember in the 90s how some people were with some of the actors or guests.

I should have some more info on it later on I think.

up-station-0005.jpg

Post edited by MadKoiFish on
    Lizzy777Warp Propulsion LaboratoryRekkertBolianAdmiralFreakBrandenberg
    edited June 2020 #1873
    You know, for the book, there was all that added scaffolding and the separated sections for the "under construction" motif. Since Doug was aware of the image and could answer, it implies he was the original artist and must have taken his original 3D mesh and added the changes for the cover.

On another note, I did this station years ago and if I remember correctly I used four pillars at the center of the station, not three. As I look at even my own reference pictures, I wonder how I got the impression it was four. Just lost my mind for a minute I guess.
    MadKoiFish
  • lewisnivenlewisniven2492 UKPosts: 463Member
    Looking great, not sure I've seen that station model before. I like how we both seem to have stopped at exactly the same point on the D, I really need to get back in the groove with that one.
    MadKoiFish
    edited June 2020 #1875
    lewisniven wrote: »
    I like how we both seem to have stopped at exactly the same point on the D, I really need to get back in the groove with that one.
    This makes me smile and almost makes me laugh. I had the exact same experience. Trying to do all the windows and other things on the Enterprise D is just simply TEDIOUS. Ya burn out after a while. I think mine is stopped a little short of where you guys are but.... tabled, it is.

Course, the number of windows on that station....
    Hey @MadKoiFish if you happen to get more angles on this station from Doug - feel free to post them unless he forbids you.
    edited June 2020 #1877
    Yeah I hit that secondary hull and SCREEEEECH. partly I have also had a hard time just sitting back here at the computers. But yeah, once I start thinking of collapsing it and making the topology permanent the "oh it looks good" turns to fuk no it is just that not right or it has to be off somewhere, etc.

Doug usually only checks email for a window in the morning so it'll be a few days. I dunno if he has more renders and if he is willing to let me to share. Generally I keep things mum between us as I just do not know. Though i do hate the super secret ref thing, this case it is work related for him and that's a whole nother kettle vs some guy who happened to sneak photos while on the job or had the chance to have access to a studio model. But it cannot hurt to ask.

Windows on that station heh, those are definitely being textured in. Bumps in vray and even in the newer mental ray are much better than in the past so I am willing to go that route on something I wont get right up on and have the ability to see into those windows. I would not want to do windows on these domes though that 3 way curvature and the mesh density needed to get them to lay flat without smoothing errors, eugh. Again this is something newer software and renderers have made less of a concern. I remember in 2006 or so you had to do all sorts of stupid crap to get windows in a 2 directional curved surface, even a single curve was enough to cause issues.

Anyhow I will if not mentioned earlier be taking liberties with the station. Windows are a example as I will try to align the sizes so they are all generally the same across the model. I might also make them more regional say on those columns, vs a all over appearance. The one thing I am unsure about are those white and cyan lit up surfaces. Just cannot tell what it is suppose to be.
    edited June 2020 #1878
    You know, for the book, there was all that added scaffolding and the separated sections for the "under construction" motif. Since Doug was aware of the image and could answer, it implies he was the original artist and must have taken his original 3D mesh and added the changes for the cover.

On another note, I did this station years ago and if I remember correctly I used four pillars at the center of the station, not three. As I look at even my own reference pictures, I wonder how I got the impression it was four. Just lost my mind for a minute I guess.

heh missed a post, yeah it is interesting how some see one thing or another. There are builds with just one column there with vertical stripes. I think it might be what you have for refs and what one you take a liking to and refer to most. The one with the blue planet behind it can be seen as 4 columns. Heck that one had me thinking there was a brace running alongside with lights on. Like a canada arm gantry sort of thing.

I dunno if Doug made the original model or not as it was I think first seen in a latter Voyager season. (another thing to ask I guess) If memory serves he was doing mostly the "backlights" and set work in TNG. It does sound like he did that cover though as he mentions adding domes as the idea was that the things are modular and could grow additional platforms. I am guessing up and down that trunk and branching out like the alterations of the office complex from TMP.
    SB42.JPG

though I always preferred it in the TMP config with the cores pointing up.

Also just noticed the thing has phaser nipples near those landing pads. While it is a texture it should help me scale thing as well. Least for right now.

HAH I think i see why you might have had 4 central bits as the game models look to have it.
    Utopia_Planitia_Main_Station.jpg
    BolianAdmiral
    Ok redid my own window template vs pinching one. Applied them to the domes as a test and dawns on me I used the wrong hull material clone so they do not match with the existing ones. BOO but render as example while I go back and redo the window material. The central pillars though I think I will build a separate window texture as the originals were more long wise vs vertical. I also have to build up a "room" texture that only has the blurry images vs any borders. (blurred all over)

up-station-0008.jpg

I am debating if I will put windows on the pylons as the original does not have them. What I thought were window holes can be seen as aztec patters on the book cover.
    BrandenbergLizzy777publiusrBolianAdmiralFreak
    Well new windows in and new back lights installed. I think I have them tuned. I tried to set up the lights and windows to be different enough of a tiling to allow more randomness in what windows are lit and unlit.
    up-station-0012.jpg
    What is sad is the temp image I was using even with bars and window blinds looked better. Anyhow large dumbells will get that horz window texture later on as for now it is just the same map all over.
    BrandenbergLizzy777BolianAdmiralFreak
    A quickie to see how it looks with a low rez comp.
    up-station-0013a.jpg
    delayed spent time fixing fans and doing forgotten laundry. OOPS.
    BrandenbergashleytingerLizzy777BolianAdmiralRekkert
    Oh yeah. You're doing a really nice job on that (an understatement). :+1: :+1:
    Started plating the upper platform "discs" and added phaser nipple where they appear on the model. Size is scaled to the ones on the larger domes as it appears textures are reused and well those are part of that. Dunno if it is intended to have them all over as they appear but it makes sense to me to have them, though I would have rotated them by 45deg so none point directly at the core. Makes for more coverage outward. KIM one of the platforms will be rotated 45deg in the final set up. I am keeping them square to the world right now for ease of working on them.
    Would have had this uploaded hours ago but loads of wasted time as I make one goof after another. Phaser bits just pinched from my older meshes and updated with current mats. And yes, I probably should have reverted back and extruded a opening between the plating. But then again I am debating on rotating them 45deg to the central hull so the one does not point inward. Wont be canon but eh.

up-station-0017.jpg
    up-station-0018.jpg

Might loose all this work later as I have not heard back from Doug yet on refs/model. He probably has to dig around for them.
    BolianAdmiralFreakLizzy777BrandenbergRekkert
    The Station is looking great.
    I noticed you put a ring of phaser turrets on top the module.
    I would re move the one pointing towards the station. It just asking for troubles. ;)
    if you read what I wrote that is what I was commenting on, they are positioned like this in the refs. Guessing that it is because the maps are reused across the model.

Did not get anything done after I posted that had to cook dinner then shopping for a new grill as mine has about had it. Well it had had it when the drip pan ritted out in the second season. Lower pan now is a thin wire grill grate covered in foil to keep the heat from melting the regulator hose and setting the tank on fire. That and covering it all with goop and meat snot. BLEH.

Planned to go Weber but Napoleon seems a better deal. Most of the stuff you see at home depot or lowes are china garbage and will rot out in no time. I do not want to buy something and think about getting a new one in 4yrs. by then they will be even crappier. Likely made of resin coated cardboard. . . . . . sigh
    Ahhhh. Father's day weekend... :)
    MadKoiFish wrote: »
    if you read what I wrote that is what I was commenting on, they are positioned like this in the refs. Guessing that it is because the maps are reused across the model.

Sorry I was half asleep when I saw the post.
    edited June 2020 #1888
    Have not heard back from Doug yet so he might be having trouble finding stuff or just busy. So I will just continue on. Adding some more things to detail it up. I will continue the idea of these being able to be fitted together.

Still not sure if I should retain these windows on the arms. There sorta is space there and I think I could do a whole deck hallway on top and bottom of each arm with a small hallway down the inner side for all those rooms. Original object did not have windows. so eh. dunno.

Also found some refs for the game STO where they show a Sovereign in a interior space I am guessing the main domes but the scale would be so large even if the smallest windows are 10ftX20ft they would just be pin pricks on the hull. So I think I will dismiss anything not from the mesh that Doug has.

Guessing at some point I will have to address those white and cyan markings. I cannot fix down any idea wtf they are.

up-station-0019.jpg

up-station-0020.jpg
    A render without the windows in.
    up-station-0021.jpg
    guess I could put nipples on the bottom of each of the platforms too.

hrm seems f3d is down unless my isp has done something or FF is using some stupid blacklist thing. Earlier their cert was expired and ff refused to connect.
    BolianAdmiralWarp Propulsion LaboratoryLizzy777Freak
    edited June 2020 #1889
    I like the windows on the arms and so am torn. I imagine Doug might have put them in if there were time. However, they weren't put on the original model. Tough call. Perhaps if you put less windows on the arms, say 3 at the beginning of the arm and 2 at the far end and one in the middle. Then subtle access panels between. Love the under detail on the arms at the origin.
    Yeah maybe look at altering the mapping. ATM the windows are mapped onto a plane so I am sorta stuck with what I have set for them as it is a generic pattern for the whole station atm. I did think of having them only on the inner die of the brackets/struts so they could light each other up as they do emit light.

Adjusted things so I can have 8 platforms per ring. not that I will but least the mechanics work. Added some insert faces so the struts appear to socket in. Though really they would probably have a flange over this and some silly looking magnetic pins not that those would be the only thing holding all the bits together but visuals and all. I do have a inner square cut between the pylons/stuts or whatever so I can do a window set or some feature between them. Thinking it over I should remove the upper and lower clamp things (they are part of those bulkheads vs being lazy and making them separate UGH. Anyhow they make little sense in a construction angle as a track with drop clamps that are not visible would work better than something on the rung clamping downward exp as unoccupied areas would need those clamps. UGH brain is just not working well lately.
    up-station-0022.jpg
    Also a bit irked as I am seeing backdrop through objects. More so as I forget what the blasted fix was for this. (note the gray area) OK more of the stupid scroll wheel near things screwing up flyout selections as I try to scroll the tabs contents. Really hate some of the stupid UI crap they changed. Clicking view move tools is still a struggle as you have to click them multiple time to select the damned things I dunno how people can deal with it and I know it is not just me as this has carried through 5 pcs and 3 oses.

BolianAdmiralLizzy777BrandenbergFreak
    Some more detail stuff and more recon of prior work. Readjusted the lower platforms to better match refs.

up-station-0025.jpg

up-station-0026.jpg

up-station-0027.jpg
    lewisnivenWarp Propulsion LaboratoryLizzy777BrandenbergFreak