Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3D-= MKF random trek thread =-

• Billynom8Billynom8186 Posts: 44Member
    Also, the Saucer is made with 4 circles and is not a true oval.

ng25zy9nkz79.jpg
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9712 Posts: 5,302Member
    Some of the "sag" is from being filmed like that. You can see the damage rather stress of it in the christies photos. I dunno what stage Probert's drawing is from so it could be a early draft. I could probably probe someone to find out, or at least ask if he could poke for an answer. It would make some sense as it does sort of mirror the lower curvature of the saucer.
    You can see the wider curve in this shot. Ignore the downward slope as that is from the break in the struts as well as angle.
    img_1979.jpg

Another area I am having issues with is the deflector area, the plans show a hugely steep and deep inset and a strongly curved dish that is way too small. So atm it is being fudged visually. The dish is curved a bit and the opening is sorta there. I do not look forward to creating the ribs YUCK.
    galaxy-0032.jpg
    Still arguing with the struts as I have been concerning myself with top and bottom geo. Sorta bouncing around to bits here and there. One of the things I have not addressed is the corners on the struts on the front. They round off to a half circle but I need the inset loops for the secondary hull. Which is currently too tight. If you picture the sensor groove in there I need about twice the radius that I have right now. I am also missing the convex curve to the lower lip. Not enough geo in there atm to do it.
    galaxy-0033.jpg
    Lizzy777
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
    I used the photo of this plan view to determine the Nav cut.

ALGCQTC.jpg

• lewisnivenlewisniven2491 UKPosts: 462Member
    To me it looks as if the neck flows quite smoothly into the deflector area, especially at the top, I've given mine a very soft blended transition on that bit. It's of those areas that looks different depending on the engle though so is a real pain.

duf8gu8k3he0.jpg
    v87m5fs4axrb.jpg
    tfe7yq2ftsdb.jpg
    edited March 2020 #1566
    It's interesting to see the different in deflector shapes that we've arrived at too, every mesh gets it slightly different mind. Yours looks a tad tall to me though.

hopm1k0kacph.png
    Post edited by lewisniven on
    P5ych0p4th
  • P5ych0p4thP5ych0p4th476 GermanyPosts: 341Member
    Well ... I‘ll be damned ... you‘re totally right. Go on then 😅
    lewisniven
    edited March 2020 #1568
    Yup it is all in flux. I just wanted to test how the light falls on the inner shapes I have. The top curvature on mine is too peaky atm. It is hard to get true head on images but everything I see the top and bottoms of the inset are nearly flat.(front to back) I am mostly working from the one photo using flash on the dish. (2nd image) The dish itself is just one messy subbdiv so it is all moving about as I do things like alter the lips as I have not found a result in the mesh I like. The lips yeah the upper one is a huge curve that tapers down as it goes. ATM I have issues with it because of not wanting loops to "end" So for now it is fairly consistent and way too tight.

As for the saucer it is matched to 2 blues and 2 orthos as I model in subdiv working from base objects wont be of help. I had tried to match to hull grids to afford me a easy cutting of details but that introduced a load of deformations in the hull that do not match the surface shapes. This is pretty clear in almost all released meshes and wires from unreleased ones.

I also never judge flat orthometrics from photos. It is impossible to remove the barrel distortion without knowledge of sensor (this case film) and lens. Even with a guess at 35mm with a normal prime of 55mm you still have to consider if it is full frame cropped etc. Still better than nothing.

I have to admit if it was not clear earlier I am only using 3d orthos and plans as suggestions of shapes and positions of things. EXP as none of them agree to much of anything but the saucers, Oddly.

The strut curve is pretty clear in these shots from e5, how much of it is planned or not is moot as it can be claimed as canon so heh.
    st-tnge05.jpg
    A few other stock shots you can really see the nacelles pigeon-toed inward. Have to wonder if the frame cracked while shooting back then and is also part of the reason the 4fter exists besides the known "reasons"

Oddly I had to match to a 11mm lens to get it close to the screen caps.
    galaxy-0035.jpg
    death by a million nudges >_>

Really strange how setting things to 11mm really makes it match almost all shots. I usually stick to a 55mm but them again things are scaled. I should scale this thing to 6ft long and see what lens I need to fit. Bet it falls on one of the primes.

((EDIT: sheesh the typos, also clarity))
    Post edited by MadKoiFish on
    Warp Propulsion LaboratorylewisnivenMcCLizzy777ashleytinger
    More bits I should be waiting on doing. Oh well. More vert pulling and pushing too.

galaxy-0046.jpg
    galaxy-0047.jpg
    galaxy-0049.jpg
    Lizzy777McCFreak
  • lennier1lennier1913 Posts: 1,280Member
    You're really doing an amazing job on this iconic beauty!
    thanks, all the scary stuff is yet to come, all the window cutting. . . . . . .

Neck work, nacelle bases and some detail bits.

galaxy-0056.jpg
    galaxy-0057.jpg
    galaxy-0058.jpg
    lewisnivenLizzy777McCashleytingerFreakBillynom8BrandenbergP5ych0p4thWarp Propulsion Laboratory
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Stunning Dan.

just out of curiosity, are you going to build this as close to the original model or are you going to add your own little flair to it?
    P5ych0p4th
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    I'm trying to remember the last time you did a canon ship. This is fun to watch, especially given @Freak 's question.
    P5ych0p4th
  • lennier1lennier1913 Posts: 1,280Member
    I'm trying to remember the last time you did a canon ship. This is fun to watch, especially given @Freak 's question.
    I think that was back when Bill Clinton was still in office! :D
    P5ych0p4th
    edited March 2020 #1575
    No more like obama, I did a TOS connie a while back.

As for any divergence from the 6ft model if it is a area that is wonky due to stickers seams etc Ill step in and alter things. Stuff like marker lights will probably become a bit more than just little round blobs. Intent is to reproduce the on screen model. Stage 1 is to make it match the early version of the model. Well the whole run of tng prior to the refit for generations. However I might take liberties on escape hatches panels etc. I dislike the "drawn in" grids you see most in the tv run of this ship. I am assuming it was a dark wash on the hull to highlight the panels. Oh and all the odd boxes that seem to be stuck on over the escape hatches mostly seen on the lower hull.
    st-tng-strangeboxes.jpg
    see this in multiple shots in season 1.
    Also note the roundness of the neck upper lip join, might have to alter that. Need to see if it is a issue of blur or if I can see it in the pother refs. Christies photos makes it look more flat.
    anyhow have decent pre generations refs that are not grainy sub 1280 mag scans?
    found these.
    a954a74bc040f0bba116dc850511eddd.jpg
    tumblr_nylfetbxuw1rzu2xzo1_1280.jpg
    places like pint have made life hell finding original source for stuff or even getting relevant results. fing hate that site.
    Post edited by MadKoiFish on
    Oh yeah, looking at the intro you see those blocks too. I think these are stick on bits for screw holes. Note int he last images I posted you see holes in the lifeboats.
    st-tng-leepressons.jpg
    either way whatever they are I wont be including them.
    lewisniven
  • nightfevernightfever361 Posts: 585Member
    edited March 2020 #1577
    MadKoiFish wrote: »
    Oh yeah, looking at the intro you see those blocks too. I think these are stick on bits for screw holes. Note int he last images I posted you see holes in the lifeboats.
    either way whatever they are I wont be including them.

I suppose too, these are tapes for masking the screws that hold the saucer and engineering models together.

Post edited by nightfever on
    The ST UFO. . . images for this thing are horrible. Not even the right shapes. I did make the inner rings circular. Some stuff shows it as a slight oval, others not.

galaxy-0059.jpg
    galaxy-0060.jpg
    Ignore the distortion on the top typical subdiv bleh in a dome. Had to make some departures from how it looks sitting in the studio model but from a distance it shouldn't be too different from what we are used to seeing.
    lewisnivenashleytingerFreakBillynom8BrandenbergLizzy777
    More of the same, pushing things around and relooping things. I probably should quit putting it off and get to doing the nacelles.
    galaxy-0067.jpg
    galaxy-0068.jpg
    galaxy-0069.jpg
    also fooling with the lips and neck again. And yeah, the orange surround is off.
    galaxy-0070.jpg
    One thing I have not been able to verify at all is the face angle of the central impulse drive. Plans all show a angle of about 5deg or so. A lot of the photos though where I have a clear in focus shot it appears flat on.
    FreaklewisnivenRekkertashleytingerBillynom8Warp Propulsion LaboratoryBrandenbergLizzy777
  • komarokomaro348 CanadaPosts: 752Member
    Don't forget the neck phaser. ;)
    Loophole
    Neck phaser? You mean the torpedo launcher? I t wont go in until I collapse the subdiv stack as it being placed on a surface of more than 3 curvatures can cause distortions in the mesh.

Speaking of phasers, I need to look at the strips as in the tv show in hd they appear mostly flat, just a curved cross section. While the christies one they appear to have a pattern. I know many have done their own thing here so I might as well. To note the things are massive vs later ships.
    I think there was a goof in an episode where a phaser beam was shown emitting from the torpedo launcher, it was fixed for the blu rays, might be referring to that.

• komarokomaro348 CanadaPosts: 752Member
    edited March 2020 #1583
    lewisniven wrote: »
    I think there was a goof in an episode where a phaser beam was shown emitting from the torpedo launcher, it was fixed for the blu rays, might be referring to that.

Yes I was. I didn't know they fix on the blueray. It makes me mad, each time I watch it. That was a very strange mistake anyway.

We have like two threads with Enterprise D. It's fun to see how differently both of you approach it.
    Post edited by komaro on
    Dunno been over 10yrs since I seen TNG on dvd. Brds had me re-watch back in 2014 or so.
    More I look at images of the deflector the more I think they built it FLAT. More work on the lips but still arguing with form. Also looking at various way to minimize loops to get the wider curves. Also more nudging of verts to get some of the shapes in.

galaxy-0072.jpg
    Billynom8Lizzy777Freak
    Been arguing with these all afternoon. Blueprints are all a bit suspect and matching with the photos is a bit hard. So with that I am just using photos and the seat of my pants. Aft bits of the nacelle are all rough, only the fronts have been worked on.
    galaxy-0078.jpg
    Having a heck of a time with the bussard materials as the way the react is not very similar to MentalRay and I cannot replicate the projected look that the avg image shows the light working in the show. So I might take some liberties with these. Also not too happy with the spill light as it clips pretty hard on the ship itself.
    Billynom8Lizzy777Freak
    Hrm, maybe the first time those color swatches have let me down. . . . .
    galaxy-0079.jpg
    galaxy-0080.jpg
    galaxy-0081.jpg

Added "bits" to the glowing eggs behind the bussard diffusers. Attempting to put something back there to sorta make the light lumpy as the filaments in the tv run domes look to have inside. Likely a lens of some sort with a light inside. Either way never seen any images or schematics showing what was really back there in the studio model. Not sold on the yellow being on the walls of the inset but photos show it on there so meh. Need to give the lower secondary a few nudges to get rid of that shadow wobble.

Going to try later on to model the grill cutout into the subdiv nacelle vs doing it after collapsing. Doubt I will succeed in this but who knows. Wont be any time soon as I am really not happy with the shapes aft of those yellow ribs.
    galaxy-0082.jpg
    galaxy-0083.jpg
    return of small hangar1
    Billynom8ashleytingerLizzy777Freak
    you could try putting a cluster of 3 smaller eggs in each large egg.

this is my attempt anyway

77e0e2664dt0.png
    Decided to take a break and do the bridge blob, this thing is a nightmare, none of the plans align, the turbolifts if judged by the bits on this area are like 2ft or 3 ft wide. Clearly they are more like 5ft min. Pink box is 6F in all directions.
    galaxy-0085.jpg
    galaxy-0086.jpg
    galaxy-0088.jpg
    Billynom8Lizzy777Freak
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1999 Central OhioPosts: 1,233Member
    Are you going to tweak it to make it all fit or go as is?
    Well the tube tops are a bit larger on mine vs the studio model. So each lift is about 6ish feet in dai. (across) If I remember that "picard day" ep right he just managed to lay down in one.