Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

PracticalBandai Resistance X-wing T-70 (Force Awakens)

PixelMagicPixelMagic471 Posts: 663Member
edited January 2016 in Work in Progress #1
As with all model builds, I start with painting the pilots first. I watched some tutorials on painting table top minis and was insane enough to try some of the techniques on 1/72nd scale figures. Actually worked pretty well.

OfdIqjw.jpg

1gp7kER.jpg

GrSis54.jpg
109747.jpg
Post edited by PixelMagic on
Tagged:

• rojrenrojren2304 Louisville, Kentucky USAPosts: 1,971Member
    **blink** Damn. That's tiny. Looks amazing.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    rojren wrote: »
    **blink** Damn. That's tiny. Looks amazing.

Yes, that. :)
  • JennyJenny2 Posts: 0Member
    1/72 is about half the size of the average tabletop mini, so props on getting the techniques to work for you. Looks like they came out well!
  • PixelMagicPixelMagic471 Posts: 663Member
    Ok, started work on the actual X-wing. Wanted to attempt a chipping effect on the silver vent intakes on the wings. I also painted the back greeble detail.

I started by coating the vents in Alclad Gloss Black Base, letting it dry for several hours, then coating them in a thin layer of hair spray.

7DU61uB.jpg

After the hairspray dryed, I sprayed Vallejo Model Air Aluminum because you need an acrylic metallic for the hairspray paint chipping technique to work.

kVK9D1W.jpg

After letting the Aluminum dry for several more hours, I took a soft wetting paint brush and burnished the surface on the leading edge surfaces of the vents, as that's where most debris would hit during flight.

dL2tE2z.jpg

I also used Citadel Shade Nuln Oil on the interior of the vents to darken edges and weather. This stuff is amazing and I will probably use it on all Star Wars vehicles.

Ftcrgm1.jpg

I then used various Citadel Shades on the back greeble to weather it. It's much too small to weather with oils effectively, so the Citadel Shades are awesome for this.

9JDgPH3.jpg
    Wow, dude. Just wow. The detail is just so amazing.
  • Knight26Knight26192 Posts: 838Member
    Dang I wish I had such model building skills, and time to do so.
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Lovely attention to, and level of detailing. Looks like it is going to be a cracking model build.

:thumb:
    Small update tonight. I finished the top of the X-wing greeble area. The base color was sprayed Tamiya Neutral Grey, and the details were hand painted with Vallejo Aluminum, Citadel Boltgun Metal (not made anymore. It's a gunmetal color) and then the weathering was done with various Citadel Shade washes (Nuln Oil, Agrax Earthshade, Reikland Fleshshade, Seraphim Sepia) similar to the back greeble. I then VERY lightly drybrushed some Vallejo Aluminum to add paint chips to the raised surfaces. You will notice there are more paint chips around BB-8s opening, as I figure the droid would bump the sides as he's placed in, and so the paint could chip there more.

Penny pictured as a reminder of the scale of this part.

fvV9WDK.jpg

lYhdodL.jpg

The cockpit is in progress, so I should have that done soon. Once that's done, I can start to assemble the fuselage and really dig into this thing.
    It's so tiny. Wow again. Super fantastic work.
    So the cockpit is now all painted and decaled. Pilot seated in. This allowed me to go ahead and start assembling the fuselage around it.

quokbTu.jpg

Bandai Star Wars kits are fantastic except for the boneheaded way in which X-wing fuselages go together. They made the color panels as whole separate pieces instead of letting you paint the blue stripe or using a decal for it. This leaves some unsightly misalignments for a smooth hull and huge gaping panel lines. I have done my best to correct this by holding fuselage pieces at the correct angle while the glue sets on the pieces, even though it's a snap kit. I have also hand painted some Tamiya primer in the huge gaps of the panel lines to fill them in a bit. Then sprayed over with high build primer to fill them even more. Hopefully I can get the fuselage as one smooth surface by the time I'm done.

TFgwRnR.jpg

The wing assembles are also done and ready for primer/paint.

qzfF1TM.jpg
    It's looking great, though that definitely sounds like a boneheaded way to make a fuselage. I guess it's nice for people who don't want to paint, but everyone else is left with those gaps.
    This post is a little long because it's a mini-tutorial on a weathering technique I wanted to try, and it came out pretty successful, so I wanted to share.

If you look at the Star Wars studio models, they all have a grimey speckley texture on them. Word has it this was done by flicking paint off a toothbrush onto the model to create the speckles. However, this model is 1/72nd scale, and I was afraid the globs that flew off the toothbrush technique would be too large and hard to control.

So I came up with this idea and I tried it and it worked great. It gives you really tiny grime/speckles, and it's very easy to control to give you the exact effect you want.

I bought an air conditioner filter for 50 cents at Walmart. This material is very thin and has lots of small open texture to shoot an airbrush through. Basically using it as a stencil to shoot a grime texture.

RYPJTpr.jpg

7vkVuA0.jpg

After the wings were primed with white, I laid this material over the dried wings, and shot Flat Black through the foam filter material. You have to hold the airbrush right up to the foam almost touching it. Surprisingly little paint goes through, so you can build up the effect gradually without worrying about spraying too much at once.

MJf3VcS.jpg

After doing a few passes on the wings, you end up with this. A really nice small scale grime speckle texture...

F7uVTyZ.jpg

Obviously it is too harsh in some places, so I mixed up the base color for the X-wing hull, Tamiya Flat White with a few drops of Tamiya Sky Gray to darken it slightly to off white. I then sprayed this hull color in light coats over the wings resulting in a nice subtle grime weathering effect that will be combined with other weathering techniques later. I exaggerated the contrast in the photos to make it show up, but it's perfectly subtle in person.

i0m8WF3.jpg

jt3KEJp.jpg

Even though I sprayed the grime texture as an undercoat to the main hull color, you could easily do this ON TOP of the base coat. As I said, the effect takes a few passes to build up, so you could do this on top of your final paint job without worrying about going to far. You could also use a lighter gray instead of the flat black I used here, and it would give a nice subtle effect. This would especially look awesome on the base coat of a Millennium Falcon.

Anyway, just wanted to share, and I highly encourage you guys to try it if you want small scale grime and speckle effects.
  • TralfazTralfaz412 Posts: 846Member
    Smart idea that worked out great. Love watching your model building process.
    Finally got around to painting the wings. Not terribly happy with how it came out in some places, so I'm gonna do some touch up. Hopefully weathering will blend it all together a bit better too.

lZFSbyr.jpg
    It looks good to me. :)
  • StarriggerStarrigger475 Posts: 698Member
    Nothing beats a physical model. Honestly, I turned to CG because I wasn't that patient to work in the real world, and for me, it's cheaper. Well done!
    Come on over to my place CGI Worlds
    Starrigger wrote: »
    Nothing beats a physical model. Honestly, I turned to CG because I wasn't that patient to work in the real world, and for me, it's cheaper.

Same here. My hat's off to people like PixelMagic, who have the skills, time and patience to do butt kicking work like this.
    Got the wings fully painted, touched up the stuff that was bothering me, and the first layer of chipping and weathering laid down. Due to the way the model goes together, it's much easier to just fully finish the wings before attaching them. I will take their weathering to completion before moving on to the fuselage.

uX0Il6p.jpg

EWB2DXi.jpg
    It definitely makes a lot of sense that you'd finish these before assembling the model. I really like the chipping so far, it looks sweet. :thumb:
    Wings are 95% weathered.

Aagjac2.jpg
    Nice looking job, those are looking thoroughly grubby (in a good way :p ), nice job.

After painting the wing interiors and weathering them, the wings are now fully finished. I've also painted the fuselage. No touch up work has been done on the fuselage yet to fix a few unsightly errors. After touch up, I will weather the fuselage in a manner to match the wings and blend the whole piece together.

07uqLUn.jpg

unRaEDB.jpg

7TVBrMt.jpg

5nMV21f.jpg

2RgmcMZ.jpg
    It's looking fantastic. :thumb:
    I did a little something different on the base than the kit intends. It's clear that the base is meant to be the sand of Jakku, but it occurred to me in the film you never see an X-wing flying over Jakku, but you do see them over Starkiller Base. Therefore, I elected to change the base from sand to snow.

Firstly, I painted the base white, then painted the edges black for a nice contrast. I bought a pack of Scene-A-Rama snow, but I wanted the snow to have that shimmer and glisten that you often see in fresh snow. Therefore I mixed in some extra fine iridescent glitter.

MyUpMhp.jpg

I poured all of the Scene-A-Rama snow into a shaker. I then simply added 3-4 pinches of the iridescent glitter and mixed it up until it had the right amount of shimmer. You don't want to add too much glitter. A little goes a long way.

Next I masked the black sides with tape to keep glitter off them.

JnuhYga.jpg

On the next part, I could have used PVA glue, but I had already had mixed up a custom thinner I use for Vallejo hand painting, that could also be used to adhere the snow to the base. The way you make it is mixing matte medium and distilled water 3:1. Then you take that mixture and put a TINY amount of flow aid into it so it spreads evenly. The matte medium/water is mixed with the flow aid 20:1.

XuwBEfQ.jpg

I then took this matte medium/water/flow aid mixture and painted the base with a wide soft brush. I then immediately took the shaker of my snow/glitter mixture and heavily shook it over the base. I let this sit for about 30 minutes, and then held the base upside down shook off the excess snow. I was left with a nice shimmering snow base. The effect is hard to photograph, but in person looks awesome.

iQtRWLj.jpg

2mOBx47.jpg

Also completed the first weathering pass on the fuselage.

2vPHRq1.jpg

1q5HpZk.jpg
    Looks pretty awesome in the photo to be honest. Nice job, and go to see you go that extra mile to give added do authenticity to your kit. Nice to hear about your process too.

• VALKYRIE013VALKYRIE013547 Posts: 1,473Member
    Looking good! Man that thing is small! Hope bandai does a 1/48 of it!

Ever try the Salt method for weathering/chipping?? almost the same as the hairspray, and you can use both at the same time. gives off a nice layered chip if your doing layers of painting!

Something like I done on my Mk7 Viper
    110025.jpg110026.jpg
    And done. :)

bGY8J62.jpg

WL0rcGJ.jpg

Ixqpsci.jpg

ckZquQs.jpg

QVivH07.jpg

PviGoT7.jpg

elG4g9U.jpg

And a couple with space lighting...

D0dI29H.jpg

hFLXFqE.jpg
    Nice, I do like how they have slightly scaled down and streamlined the details of the X-Wing for this, subtle changes, but just enough to make it a quite unique take on the classic original design. You've done a lovely job on this model.

• homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    Awesome!!
    It looks awesome, great job on everything. I really like the way you painted the base, that adds a great touch to a fantastic model. :D