Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

new Star Trek series in 2017

IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
edited November 2015 in General Discussion #1
I didn't expect star trek to ever come back to TV, but in a little over a years time it will be

http://www.startrek.com/article/new-star-trek-series-premieres-january-2017
Post edited by IRML on
Tagged:

• homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    No network has been contracted, although it's first run will be on CBS's streaming service.
    Hopefully more details will be released.
  • TrekMDTrekMD192 Posts: 639Member
    I was surprised to see this today as well. Star Trek belongs in television! :)
  • Admiral DanevAdmiral Danev171 Posts: 0Member
    I hope its not, but it will be, set within the JJ universe. I want a Post-Nemesis Trek Series (OR a Romulan War series). Hopefully the power that be make the right decisions.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Yay, the Abramsverse comes to TV. :rolleyes: Sorry, but with Alex Kurtzman in as the series head, that's likely what they'll be doing. Plus, he's already been announced as the producer of the next ST film after Beyond, so I'm sure they're going to try and tie it all together. I really wish they'd hired somebody competent to run the show but, unfortunately, CBS is in love with this guy. (Hawaii 5-0, Scorpion and Limitless are all Kurtzman shows)

Also, from what I'm reading, it will be available exclusively on a generally untested streaming service, CBS All Access. Until now, that has only offered old CBS shows, so this will be a "flagship" project to test the waters to see if they can pull off running shows on that. So, basically, anybody who watches it will be part of a test audience. Also, it looks like it will be a US exclusive, so you guys in other countries are screwed. The only thing I even like about this plan is that my work schedule makes me miss "Primetime" TV anyway, so I'm used to watching TV shows streamed Online. It does make it more convenient for my schedule. Also, ratings expectations are likely to be lower on a web series. Though, that may not actually be a good thing.

So, yeah. Very lackluster news, in my opinion.
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    It';s still 14 months away from airing, so there is time for things to change. There will also be international broadcasting that will be licensed by CBS.
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972321 Posts: 1,202Member
    It won't be JJ Verse. Paramount owns the movies, CBS owns the TV series. It'll likely be a separate think and I'd be up for a reboot.

Yes, it's going to be on CBS All Access, but then read the second paragraph in the announcement:

"The next chapter of the Star Trek franchise will also be distributed concurrently for television and multiple platforms around the world by CBS Studios International."

Most likely, the series as a whole shall be on All Access, but it'll appear on TV weekly, as a series. That's how they're probably going to play it. CBS knows better than to piss people off by saying it's subscription and US only, when they can make worldwide sales from it.
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9714 Posts: 5,302Member
    wording in anything from CBS is always a mess, that rule and info stuff for the SOTL contest was a nightmare of dunno wot. It sounds like this is for tv then will be available after as a on demand service. As for international distro, concurrently could mean another TNG for you.
    Legal crap with trek split by Paramount and CBS and the whole BAD blood crap helps things not. So region limits could be just a line of legalese in some stupid contract somewhere.

but that whole first run crap, does that men they will do like BBCA did to top gear first run unedited then latter runs are edited for time? or is this dodgy wording meaning what everyone has read it as that it will only be on all access.

go fig.

With who they have so far I just see this as being yet another damned cop drama but in space.
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
  • Wishbone_AshWishbone_Ash325 Posts: 250Member
    Ugh Alex Kurtzmann... one of THE worst "writers" working in Hollywood...
  • DeksDeks200 Posts: 259Member
    Can we have a more accurately portrayed spacefaring civilization... aka the Federation, without money, that focuses on automation for R&D as well as mutual sharing of knowledge, resources, ideas, etc. this time around that also evolved tremendously in terms of Warp speeds, where at minimum SF ships would be able to cross 1000 Ly's per day, and at maximum, 10 000 Ly's per day... if the series is set in the 23rd century?

Because, THAT is what they should have been capable of doing.

Oh and, I'd love to see use of Geothermal technology for energy use.
    Imagine a 200 zettajoule powered planetary shield grid in the Trek universe?
    Since SF ships in the 24th century could easily output in the gigaton range per second at about 10% (Enterprise-D 'Masks' - and in Season 6 with precision phaser drilling into the ground of a planet for 19 seconds to reach the mantle), no amount of fleets would sensibly be able to threaten a planet protected by a 200 zettajoule shield (we had the tech to tap into 200 Zettajoules of Geothermal potential in 2006 according to an MIT study that was conducted a the time).

Essentially, bring the figures closer to reality and massively extrapolate based on automation, sharing, cooperation, etc.

Oh and, use a frigging calculator for the purpose of ascertaining how fast a ship would get to a destination under a certain warp speed - it only takes a few seconds after all.

The Federation in the 24th century should have been radically much more advanced taking those things into consideration.
    Oh and it would be good to see starships being completely self-sufficient.
    Hey, the bussard collectors can be used to regenerate energy on the ship, and any vessel could park in an uninhabited star system and use Zettajoules of energy to power their replicators (which convert energy into matter) without taxing warp cores.
    Ergo... deep-space missions are suddenly viable for any SF ship.

Oh and traditionalist viewpoints belong in the past... this is supposed to be the future... not today.
  • sorceress21sorceress21269 Posts: 577Member
    Zero chance it will be the JJ Trekverse...In fact I think its going to be a pick up of one of the minor web shows in production...I think the biggest contender will be Renegades.
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    I'd be hoping more for something based on Axanar if any of those are in the running. Wasn't there also a rumour regarding a Captain Worf based show?
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972321 Posts: 1,202Member
    Can't see it picking up Renegades because that was a terrible mess in every way.

Michael Dorn wants a Worf series, but I can't see them picking that up either. The Trek that we new belonged to the 90's. The most logical thing to do now would be treat it as a TNG 2.0. It's been 10 years since the last show, and this time we're a century closer to the setting. Move the show another century forward.
    I know I'd like to see a more visceral, darker and adult themed Trek with heavy character driven drama. The traditional technogeekout adventure based everything always ends hunky dory was of course enjoyable but Trek needs a facelift and not in the Abrams style.

I'd like to see an original canon show with a heavy underlying conspiracy styled subplot in the style of B5, X-Files etc..

Yet another Starfleet crew doing Starfleet things just seems boring to me when there is so much more to the universe to explore.
  • DeksDeks200 Posts: 259Member
    I know I'd like to see a more visceral, darker and adult themed Trek with heavy character driven drama. The traditional technogeekout adventure based everything always ends hunky dory was of course enjoyable but Trek needs a facelift and not in the Abrams style.

I'd like to see an original canon show with a heavy underlying conspiracy styled subplot in the style of B5, X-Files etc..

Yet another Starfleet crew doing Starfleet things just seems boring to me when there is so much more to the universe to explore.

One can accomplish what you stated by having an evolved type of behaviour and civilization (such as the Federation that does't have money, and has evolved in terms of behaviour - and wouldn't easily succumb to devolving even during wars - if anything, such desperate situations would tell them that they need to persevere in their core ideals and that behaving like a bunch of primitives would have been an insult to everything they accomplished to date) and advanced technology.
    However, you cannot expect a show set in the future to NOT have technological solutions to problems. My word, we in reality ARE using technology to solve most problems, and this will rise to a very high level in the immediate and far future as well.

In the sense of Star Trek... the idea is to create drama that FITS with the setting, time frame, technology. etc.
    It would require more out of the box thinking, but it CAN be done.
    No more dumbing down technology or capabilities just to portray 'drama' (this was one thing I disliked about the writers).
    The Federation would conceivably be a Type-2 civilization on a Kardashev scale and capable of extraordinary things (think about what we are actually doing, then mulitiply that by millions of orders of magnitude and expand for the Federation in the 22nd century and onward).
    Have the writers at least do some research and write along those kinds of lines.

Star Trek is about creating a more positive outlook for the future (because I'm sick to death of all the stupidity we constantly see - it's one of the reasons I don't really go to the movies nor I watch TV) - it doesn't have to be 'cheesy' or come off as 'hunky dory'.
    I want characters who can think critically, can get along with each other without 'deevolving' to create drama (that's what you have alien cultures that are different from them - but also quit with the cliches of advanced alien cultures jumping to conclusions without using their brains or technology), who also know how to use all their resources at their disposal (science and technology) to arrive at better decisions (that's the only way you can really go about doing anything in life really, Star Trek especially).

Star Trek got certain things right... and other things, it messed up... mainly due to writers ineptness and inability to pick up a calculator, or inject some kind of 'regular consistency for most things'.
    While I agree with most of that I think the "convenience" of technology saving the day in nearly every episode was a hit against suspension of disbelief. I mean seriously...as advanced as the fictional Federation is that doesn't mean every single component on a starship will be able to be modified to do something it was never designed for to accomplish a task that has never been done before assuming mankind ever actually advances to that level at all...

We can still have a positive themed show without the sitcom endings..And if you really believe that humans will do away with greed, violence, apathy and war in a mere 300 years then I urge you reconsider your position.
  • SanderleeSanderlee1 Posts: 0Member
    While I agree with most of that I think the "convenience" of technology saving the day in nearly every episode was a hit against suspension of disbelief. I mean seriously...as advanced as the fictional Federation is that doesn't mean every single component on a starship will be able to be modified to do something it was never designed for to accomplish a task that has never been done before assuming mankind ever actually advances to that level at all...

I agree in principle here, Sorceress. What always bugged me was that the "modifications" where always a) never before conceived, yet b) easy to execute and nearly 100% effective for the desired task and circumstance. Treknology was always too morphable to be realistic. Yes, yes, I know, Asimov's old dictum about sufficient technology and magic ... but Treknology, esp. Federation Treknology, was almost infinitely multipurpose ... but only when circumstances required "out of the box" thinking on the part of one bridge officer or another.

Considering how FAST they developed modifications to their equipment that solved considerably out-of-the-box problems, it's a wonder they had anything standardized at all! Esp. with replicator tech able to reproduce almost anything in any configuration at will (another bit of Treknology that a new series will have to address).

And yet, they also had severe "the tech doesn't work that way" problems whenever it was essential to the plot. This was one thing I rather liked about both Andromeda and NuBSG ... they didn't explain the technology, so it basically worked at the needs of the plot. Yes, both of them suffered from technological inconsistencies (ESPECIALLY Andromeda ... I'm looking at you, Point Singularity Cannons!), but sometimes less explanation is better. That's probably the biggest trap Treknology seemed to fall into, the endless need to explain things without the writers maintaining any sort of consistency over episodes (or seasons, or series).