Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DUSS Tisiphone - an Axanar era project

AlnairAlnair181 Posts: 255Member
edited April 2016 in Work in Progress #1
After a long break...

inspired by the fantastic Axanar project I finally built my first star trek ship ever, the USS Tisiphone. The model is almost finished. Currently I'm working on the final details.
The Tisiphone is an old exploration vessel built in the era between Enterprise and Axanar. To match that particular epoch I have integrated style elements from the old NX-class starships and the ships Tobias Richter has designed for Axanar.
When the war with the Klingons breaks out the ship has already been on duty for many decades. Instead of decommissioning the old vessel Starfleet decides that every warp capable ship has to be refitted and rearmed to compensate the heavy losses Starfleet suffered in the initial battles with superior Klingon forces. So the former USS Burton is retrofited to become a light cruiser. For her new role she is renamed as USS Tisiphone.
Together with other old ships she is then assigned to a naval unit known throughout Starfleet as "junkyard fleet", a taskforce whose mission is to slow down the rapid Klingon progress and buy the Federation more time at
any cost...
108757.jpg
108758.jpg
108759.jpg
108760.jpg
108761.jpg
108762.jpg
108763.jpg
108764.jpg
Post edited by Alnair on
Tagged:

• SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    I absolutely love this design. That is frakkin' awesome work. :thumb:
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Nice, loving the look which feels solidly of that era, and the use of the catamaran like pontoons to provide space for two shuttle bays is original. Cracking work overall too.

:thumb:
  • trekkitrekki939 Posts: 1,394Member
    Very nice, I like this style.
    I'm waiting for more pictures.
    Keep it up.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    It's a really nice design and a great looking model.
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    I like the blending of Ent and TOS elements, even incorporating those weird bolt-firing phasers.... But what I don't like is the reminiscnece to the Akira-class.
  • scifiericscifieric1122 Posts: 1,497Member
    I think this is wonderful! It is an interesting blend of influences.
  • komarokomaro348 CanadaPosts: 752Member
    Nice. I also like the mix of different vessels designs
  • PixelMagicPixelMagic471 Posts: 663Member
    Damn, that is so cool. I love that design.
  • TrekMDTrekMD192 Posts: 639Member
    Like what I see. :)
  • SaquistSaquist1 Posts: 0Member
    I hate the Pontoon Design from Akira it was just oodles of useless space and I prefer function over style. This is the best attempt at that I've see so far. So here you're assigning the Pontoons flight operations. If you consider that Akira was supposed to be for the same purpose it lets us compare the two designs.

Akira
    -The minuses against Akira is that the front doors are smaller than the aft doors forcing launch and landings down the same approach.
    -The Pontoons don't seem to serve any purpose at all and they're shape is a large waste of space as they taper down
    -It only has 3 phaser arrays
    +It does have (apparently) a lot of torpedo tubes.
    +The Impulse engines are aligned along the Axial Center of Gravity

USS Tisiphone
    +Unlike Akira you Pontoons have a use
    +The ship is well armed with phasers and four forward tubes
    -The pylons pass right through the middle of the flight decks limiting space for other shuttles and maintenance
    -You seem to lack any aft weaponry

As compared to Ares...
    I think you've done better than Tourangeau. You've made better use of the same or similar construction.
    You did without mounts on either end of the pylon and it looks more like TOS and looks good.
    I've noticed Ares Primary hull looks like a Turtle shell mated to a duck butt and the flat and curved contrast throws me off.
    Like the original Constitution your ship stays pretty simple just a different configuration. It's cylinders and rectangles but there is just something more pleasing about this and it's not just the greebling.
  • AlnairAlnair181 Posts: 255Member
    Thanks for the kind replies!

@ Aresius: You are right, not everyone likes the Akira's original design. ;)

@ Saquist: I appreciate your constructive critisism.:) You are totally right regarding the problem with the pylons and the flight deck's length. It annoys me quite a bit that I couldn't find a better solution. One annotation: the Tisiphone has two aft torpedo tubes and four phasers on the pylons, one on the dorsal and one the ventral side of each pylon. ;)
    I was confused there for a bit. So there is a phaser pod above and below each Landing bay Pontoon and I finally saw the aft torps on the underside of the saucer section.

What program are you using?
  • SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    The other con you called out for the flight deck may be a moot point for two reasons, Saquist. First, it looks like there might be room below the shuttlebay for a maintenance area accessible by lift so it would likely be unnecessary for the flight deck to intrude forward of the front most bulkhead. Therefore, the pylon passing through in the location it doesn't have to be considered wasted space. Secondly, aside from the lift in the Constitution's shuttlebay there's no evidence of a larger maintenance and operations area beyond what is seen onscreen. With that who is to say how big a flight deck needs to be to be useful?
    Schimpfy wrote: »
    The other con you called out for the flight deck may be a moot point for two reasons, Saquist. First, it looks like there might be room below the shuttlebay for a maintenance area accessible by lift so it would likely be unnecessary for the flight deck to intrude forward of the front most bulkhead. Therefore, the pylon passing through in the location it doesn't have to be considered wasted space. Secondly, aside from the lift in the Constitution's shuttlebay there's no evidence of a larger maintenance and operations area beyond what is seen onscreen. With that who is to say how big a flight deck needs to be to be useful?

That design concept would easily buckle under stress.
    But here is a (sort of) example of bulk heads used to strengthen a starship structure.

Example 1
    progress_122812_00_zps74d5218f.jpg

**NOTE**
    (I don't entirely agree with this construction either.
    This is more cage than bulkhead.

Example 2
    monocoque-design_zpsaligul43.gif
    This is what he'd be looking for in the area where that pylon passes through. The pylon would be bolted or welded to two of these on either side as they passed through the Pontoon.

Example 3 &4
    http://www.nassco.com/images/bp_gallery/BP_B603.jpg
    http://i1005.photobucket.com/albums/af174/sscott_album/DSC_0030.jpg

Notice some of these bulkheads have HUGE holes through them (That's to save weight) others are more like walls. That's when you need A LOT of strength. Because sea going ships are supported by the surface tension of the water below and they'll only be turning left and right they don't necessarily need huge bulkhead walls. They don't have huge support pylons passing through them either. But if you lift a ship out of the water or over load one side, thin weaker bulkheads will collapse like the Titanic. Starships take stress from all around they fly through space unsupported except for by Inertial Dampers and Structural Integrity Fields but what happens when those fail? So, if it's constructed properly that ship would have no useable space for people where that pylon goes through.

Titanic & Video of Titanic Bulking

http://www.exploretitanic.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Titanic-Breaks-Up.jpg
    Video Below
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSGeskFzE0s

Of course...this is all very literal and unnecessary.
    Saquist wrote: »
    What program are you using?

I'm working with Blender (was a former Softimage user).
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    I'm sure with the technology available at the time both in the construction, futuristic/fictional materials and systems that are used to enhance the structural integrity of the ship, there'd be ways around having to have the pylon strut go right through the center of the pontoon hull, perhaps some reinforced ring bulkhead structure that the pylons could be bolted into or something? I think it is good to use current naval ship building practices as a basis for how starships might be built to give the perceived structure a grounding in reality, but I don't think you'd need to adhere stringently to those principles, after all we don't no what materials are being used to build the space frame of a 23rd century starship. Or what forcefields are in play when a starship is operational. After all going to Warp by all rights would tear a ship apart, so they obviously have some sophisticated doohickeys in play keeping the whole thing held together.
  • StormcloudStormcloud2 Posts: 0Member
    this ship looks to good to be a junkyard ship - its a really nice design and its so pretty - prefer this design to the one from prelude to axanar
    TALON_UK wrote: »
    I think it is good to use current naval ship building practices as a basis for how starships might be built to give the perceived structure a grounding in reality, but I don't think you'd need to adhere stringently to those principles, after all we don't no what materials are being used to build the space frame of a 23rd century starship. Or what forcefields are in play when a starship is operational. After all going to Warp by all rights would tear a ship apart, so they obviously have some sophisticated doohickeys in play keeping the whole thing held together.

In sci fi one can do just about anything they want.
    But constraints give way to creativity. (..The mother of invention)

P.S
    Warp doesn't move the ship it moves space.
    Alnair wrote: »

You're making this look much better than any or most Blender WIP's I've seen. It looks like Maya or something. How long have you been working with it?
    New hangar bay doors...

@Saquist: I started in april 2014 with long breaks between the modelling sessions.
    108786.jpg
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    The new doors look good.
    New hangar bay doors...

@Saquist: I started in april 2014 with long breaks between the modelling sessions.

What are the objects hanging from the bottom of the pod in that shot?
    @ Saquist: I suppose it is the central pod you are referring to? If that's correct: antennas for different electromagnetic sensors and ECM systems.
  • gerb200gerb200176 Posts: 114Member
    Wow, this is phenomenal! Best of all the worlds.
  • StarshipStarship464 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member

Oh it was a long time ago, right my old friend? :)
  • stolistoli79 Posts: 130Member
    Alnair,I don't know much about the Trek universe but I know what I like, this ship looks wonderful to me, I like the curves and overall detailing and shape. I wondered what happened to you for a while as I so did like your other works, super that your trying out a new system and subject, looking forward to more of this, cheers matey.
  • tobiasrichtertobiasrichter333 Posts: 0Member
    Very nice design! I can see the influences...

Two minor comments
    - I think the pontoons need to flow into the main saucer - at the moment, it looks rather strange, just tacked on. I think you could make the lower side flush with the pontoons.
    - I see you have recessed airlocks. These look cool, IA’d just think about how they are about to be functioning - no shuttle can dock here, so it is basically just an exit for a spacewalk.

Looking forward to how itA’ll look textured!
    @ Starship
    Indeed, a long time ago. Blender has already been my secondary app for years, so migrating wasn't such a problem. But I still miss my good old and reliable Softimage. :(

@ stoli
    To be honest, I'm a hardcore trekkie neither. I do like the shows but I can't recite the technical manuals or the episode guides. I never left the board but life interfered and I had to take a longer break from modeling for almost a year. Will try now not to disappoint your expectations ;)

@ tobiasrichter
    You are absolutely right. I never liked the transition between the saucer and the pylons. Today I remodeled this section. The curvature of both sections is quite tricky but the new solution should now be more pleasing.
    I'm aware of the problem with the recessed airlocks. These are a homage to the NX-01's design. I think the docking mechanism is retractable. I will modify them this way when I do the final details.
    108897.jpg108898.jpg
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann615 Posts: 1,275Member
    Sorry I haven't commented on this yet, I dig the design to... it's like a sleeker, more aerodynamic version of the Quad from the nu-Trek flicks. I can't wait to see more of this thing.
    @ Starship
    Indeed, a long time ago. Blender has already been my secondary app for years, so migrating wasn't such a problem. But I still miss my good old and reliable Softimage. :(

@ stoli
    To be honest, I'm a hardcore trekkie neither. I do like the shows but I can't recite the technical manuals or the episode guides. I never left the board but life interfered and I had to take a longer break from modeling for almost a year. Will try now not to disappoint your expectations ;)

@ tobiasrichter
    You are absolutely right. I never liked the transition between the saucer and the pylons. Today I remodeled this section. The curvature of both sections is quite tricky but the new solution should now be more pleasing.
    I'm aware of the problem with the recessed airlocks. These are a homage to the NX-01's design. I think the docking mechanism is retractable. I will modify them this way when I do the final details.

Something seems different with the pylons between the two shots. In the first it looks like you moved the pylon on top of the pontoon and the other looks like it's passing through. Perhaps and illusion.
    @ Saquist
    Maybe this picture clarifies the change a tad better
    108899.jpg
    eagledocf15