Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DSTAR FORCE

vmblastvmblast3 Posts: 0Member
edited May 2015 in Work in Progress #1
This is a Star Wars spin-off project. Since we are never going to see (and play) remakes or sequels to the famous SW series of space simulations like Tie Fighter and X-Wing, I wanted to do my own version of them. My goal was to make it exactly as if you would play the SW (the original) movies. Very similar in lighting, style and general atmosphere. The game is set in universe similar to the SW as it is artistically inspired by it. This universe could be a sort of parallel SW universe if you will. So, ships, fighters, vehicles and sociopolitical setting could be similar as well...but not quite the same.

This is pre-pre-pre-alpha testing WIP stage, just to see how everything would feel and work (so, no texture work, just rough draft design models). Video is captured in real time in Unreal Engine 4. This is one really, really (really) great engine. I was quite pleased with the overall performance of it, because I could make movie-like atmosphere, to be realistic and yet to have that stylized lighting. It is quite capable and versatile engine. There are few glitches in the video, however they are made by the video capture software for some reason (mini-game performed flawlessly, even as it was not optimized).

Everything in this video (except laser blast sound and music) is original (made/designed) and it is inspired by the SW original movies.

Enjoy :)

Star Force screen2.jpg

[video=vimeo;125336899]
108645.jpg
Post edited by vmblast on

• scifiericscifieric1122 Posts: 1,497Member
    This is really fantastic!

I have a friend who did something similar, but for Battlestar Galactica. He made his own engine instead of using the Unreal engine.

Keep going!
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    That looks (and sounds) really sweet so far. I love these old games. They're available on GOG but, unfortunately, for Windows only. That makes no sense as they're DOSBox games. Anyway, I'm loving your project. :D

By the way, fire doesn't create smoke in space. :p
  • vmblastvmblast3 Posts: 0Member
    By the way, fire doesn't create smoke in space. :p

Lol :lol: thats so true.

Unfortunately Im just an artist/producer, not a coder. It was quite hard for me to create as much. Going in and tweaking particle parameters gave me a headache, so I gave up on it lol.

There are a lot of thing that I would have done differently here, or upgrade it. But, this was all that I could do alone. :p

Maybe Ill find some funding and do entire video game as I imagined it to be. :lol:
  • madman1701amadman1701a339 Posts: 366Member
    Looks awesome! I really miss the old style space sims too.

-Ricky
    vmblast wrote: »
    Lol :lol: thats so true.

Unfortunately Im just an artist/producer, not a coder. It was quite hard for me to create as much. Going in and tweaking particle parameters gave me a headache, so I gave up on it lol.

There are a lot of thing that I would have done differently here, or upgrade it. But, this was all that I could do alone. :p

Maybe Ill find some funding and do entire video game as I imagined it to be. :lol:

I hear you on that. I'm no coder either. You could always try one of those game sites where you can submit concepts and maybe even recruit a coder. Then there's always Kickstarter for funding. There are enough people who love these games that you may get funding with something like this.
  • japetusjapetus2957 SeattlePosts: 1,399Member
    Awesome!! I love these "old" games too...you should do Mechwarrior 2 next, I haven't been able to get that one to work ever. And not the "enhanced version" either...original was the best!
    I hear you on that. I'm no coder either. You could always try one of those game sites where you can submit concepts and maybe even recruit a coder. Then there's always Kickstarter for funding. There are enough people who love these games that you may get funding with something like this.

Because of its complexity, this is the project that can't be done by just a few people, it needs full blown production ;) I agree, kickstarter might be great solution, unfortunately Im not from US so no-go for the kickstarer. I know that there are other fund raising websites, but KS is the most prestiges one with pretty high chance that you might get funded.

At this stage its demo only. If I manage to find some fundings, maybe it will go somewhere :p
    japetus wrote: »
    Awesome!! I love these "old" games too...you should do Mechwarrior 2 next, I haven't been able to get that one to work ever. And not the "enhanced version" either...original was the best!

Actually I had started making demo (long before Star Force) for the "WORLD OF MECHS" multyplayer game. But as it required a lot of animation work for the mech's, I postponed it. :p

Conflict maps were all on alien planets (so no Earth anywhere). One map in particular, Ive imagined to be on two close asteroids, so that mechs can jump (from certain point) from one to another :lol: -thats hight tier map.

As I dont like -standard- bulky mech design, Ive imagined them as more futuristic tank like machines -with legs. From lower tier, they are more like tanks on legs, but as you go to the higher tier, they are becoming more of giant robots lol

I still have mini GDD mind map somewhere, with the entire project. ;)

But this is discussion for the new thread lol :lol:
    vmblast wrote: »
    Because of its complexity, this is the project that can't be done by just a few people, it needs full blown production ;) I agree, kickstarter might be great solution, unfortunately Im not from US so no-go for the kickstarer. I know that there are other fund raising websites, but KS is the most prestiges one with pretty high chance that you might get funded.

At this stage its demo only. If I manage to find some fundings, maybe it will go somewhere :p

That sucks that you can't use Kickstarter. I didn't think it was a US only site. I've seen projects being funded there on Steam where the people are collecting money in Euros. But, what do I know? It's not like I've ever used the site. ;) There are definitely others.
    That sucks that you can't use Kickstarter. I didn't think it was a US only site. I've seen projects being funded there on Steam where the people are collecting money in Euros. But, what do I know? It's not like I've ever used the site. ;) There are definitely others.

Sry, I havent been through ;) -The catch is that you need to have social security no. (in another words to be citizen), or to have company with US bank account (for tax purposes). :p -this is simplified description.

At other websites like Indigogo you can make campaign, however they are (at least in my opinion) too...eh..trashy. What I want to say is that the percentage of successful funding is much lower than at KS. :(

Oh well :p
    Yeah, I don't know the ins and outs of that stuff. I only know what I see and can't afford to contribute to. :(
  • LockeFPLockeFP171 Posts: 0Member
    This is brilliant! Glad I stopped by SFM today . . .
  • stonkystonky350 Posts: 489Member
    This is terrific! Can I ask - is it all blueprints or is there scripting going on behind the scenes as well?