Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3Dscifieric's Blender USS Enterprise

• scifiericscifieric1122 Posts: 1,497Member
  • uniderthuniderth1 Posts: 0Member
    Scifieric, that's scifirific.
    uniderth wrote: »
    Scifieric, that's scifirific.
    You're a kind (and humorous) man! Thank you !
  • Chris2005Chris2005678 Posts: 3,097Member
    Very cool. :D Love it!
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC 12GB
    1TB NVMe SSD, 2 x 1GB SATA SSD, 4TB external HDD
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
    Chris2005 wrote: »
    Very cool. :D Love it!
    Thank you Chris. I need more time to do something fun with this!
  • TallguyTallguy350 Posts: 467Member
    Eric, any grand plans since the Smithsonian restoration?
    Bill "Tallguy" Thomas All I ask is a tall ship...
    Various Work: U.S.S. Constellation - Matt Jefferies Concept Shuttle
    Tallguy wrote: »
    Oh, the same old delusions I've always had. Ha!

They did a good job, but there are actually some "mistakes" that they incorporated into the final model. It looks MUCH better than the last couple of restorations, that is for certain.

The tabs that hold the warp nacelle caps are not thin leather straps with snaps. I want to do some research on the inner trough of the warp engine and how it was painted for The Trouble With Tribbles. I'm not certain that their paint job matches, although they did a superb job!

What do you think of the restored "phaser nipple"?

Their lights for the warp engines seem slightly wrong to me as well, but again, this is the closest I've seen to the original effect. The yellow lights in place of white lights seems most glaring to me. That, and the original did not have matching lights on both sides.

I find it interesting that the back of the inside of the housing for the deflector array rings has aspects of hull color and also copper color, and that they confirmed that the copper for the rings was slightly different in color than the dish itself, probably mainly due to weathering on the dish.

I might like to do an animation in response to the achievement at the Smithsonian and the 50th anniversary, but I'm not sure what to do.

Your thoughts?
    You got me thinking ...
    110916.png110917.png110918.png110919.jpg
    A fellow who is a few years older than me (I'm 53 at the moment) posted a picture of himself from when he was a kid. He was standing in front of the 11 foot filming model of the USS Enterprise and had his hands on the stand for the model for the Galileo 7. It was a marvelous black and white photograph and I wanted to see if I could come close to duplicating the shot.

The final black and white image:
    StarTrek50th01bwplus.png

And the color:
    StarTrek50th01colorplus.png

Of course, all done in Blender 3D except for the noise and blur to simulate film grain which was added in Adobe Photoshop.
    Also, I was going to start another thread, but it doesn't look like we can upload images anymore. So, here's a little something else I've been working on.

galileocolorforpost01.png
    galileocolorforpost02.png
    galileocolorforpost03.png
    galileocolorforpost04.png
    galileocolorforpost05.png
  • TralfazTralfaz412 Posts: 846Member
    Well done Eric. Captures the grace and beauty of the original perfectly.
    Tralfaz wrote: »
    Well done Eric. Captures the grace and beauty of the original perfectly.
    Thank you very much, my friend!
  • psCargilepsCargile417 Posts: 620Member
    Awesome. Any idea why Jefferies designed the roof that way, with the sides curling over? I'm visualizing the airflow over it and there would be vortex generation off the forward tips. Looks like a channel for ducting boundary air into the exhaust shock. Maybe I'm over thinking it.
    psCargile wrote: »
    Awesome. Any idea why Jefferies designed the roof that way, with the sides curling over? I'm visualizing the airflow over it and there would be vortex generation off the forward tips. Looks like a channel for ducting boundary air into the exhaust shock. Maybe I'm over thinking it.
    Hello psCargile! Thank you for the compliment.

Matt Jefferies designed a very aerodynamic shuttle. It was when AMT pitched the idea that they would pay for the shuttlecraft mockup IF they were allowed the rights to sell the model that Gene Winfield (there were a lot of Gene's working on the original Star Trek!) who came up with the boxy design ... on request. The square design was easier and cheaper to build. This is exactly the same reason why Star Trek: The Next Generation abandon their first season, sleekly designed, compound curved shuttlecraft (that I loved SO much) and replaced them with a bunch of angular designs. Easier and cheaper to build.

No doubt the curls up top were the only sleek bit of design allowed to stay with the model.

Just a guess based on the history of the design of the shuttle!
  • SeanPSeanP218 Posts: 256Member
    I love the shuttlecraft! It looks awesome! :thumb:
  • Chris2005Chris2005678 Posts: 3,097Member
    Very nice. Next to Raul Mamoru's TOS shuttle, yours is the best TOS shuttle I've seen. In other words, your shuttles are both excellent. :)
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC 12GB
    1TB NVMe SSD, 2 x 1GB SATA SSD, 4TB external HDD
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
    SeanP wrote: »
    I love the shuttlecraft! It looks awesome! :thumb:
    Thank you very much!
    Chris2005 wrote: »
    Very nice. Next to Raul Mamoru's TOS shuttle, yours is the best TOS shuttle I've seen. In other words, your shuttles are both excellent. :)
    Thank you Chris!
    I started using the Filmic Color Management System for Blender 3D. (Here's a link!)

One odd effect is that textures are REALLY, REALLY pronounced! I've gone through and toned down the textures for my Enterprise to the point I'm fairly happy with them.
    111473.jpg
  • TallguyTallguy350 Posts: 467Member
    Lovely! Does the rust belt go all the way around? I got it wrong, I just don't remember if I went too far or not far enough.

I'm LOVING filmic!
    Bill "Tallguy" Thomas All I ask is a tall ship...
    Various Work: U.S.S. Constellation - Matt Jefferies Concept Shuttle
    Lovely! Does the rust belt go all the way around? I got it wrong, I just don't remember if I went too far or not far enough.

I'm LOVING filmic!
    My rust ring is probably too strong. It was my impression that it goes all the way around and is very weak. The first half is certainly prominent.

Filmic Color Management System is certainly producing better and more realistic results than I was able to produce before.

I would LOVE to see what you're turning out with this new tool!
    111538.jpg
  • BlobVanDamBlobVanDam0 Posts: 0Member
    I'm pretty sure the rest ring doesn't go all the way around. Every model I've seen has it covering only the front 8 hull line divisions, as can be very faintly seen in that photo. But it's so faint (and basically invisible in TOS itself), and not a well documented feature in universe, so there's room for personal interpretation there. Every model becomes someone's own interpretation at some point, and that's what makes them all unique. :thumb:
    Looking great either way!
    Thank you BlobVanDam!
  • BlobVanDamBlobVanDam0 Posts: 0Member
    Btw that was supposed to be front 10 hull divisions, not 8. Don't know why I said that.

I just finished redoing a model of the Enterprise myself for a video I'm working on (I didn't make the model from scratch, it's one by Raul Mamoru from trekmeshes). I didn't find info on the lighting pattern for the nacelles though. Yours look excellent, so I was curious if you found reference for it, or just figured it out yourself?
    BlobVanDam wrote: »
    Btw that was supposed to be front 10 hull divisions, not 8. Don't know why I said that.

I just finished redoing a model of the Enterprise myself for a video I'm working on (I didn't make the model from scratch, it's one by Raul Mamoru from trekmeshes). I didn't find info on the lighting pattern for the nacelles though. Yours look excellent, so I was curious if you found reference for it, or just figured it out yourself?
    I figured mine out for myself, thank you for the compliment!

The episodes I used (for the most part) were the approach of the Enterprise from Elaan of Troyus, the same shot from the beginning of The Tholian Web, and of course the VERY short clip of the front of the Enterprise from near the ending of Metamorphosis.
  • [Irishman][Irishman]177 Posts: 117Member
    scifieric wrote: »
    My rust ring is probably too strong. It was my impression that it goes all the way around and is very weak. The first half is certainly prominent.

Filmic Color Management System is certainly producing better and more realistic results than I was able to produce before.

I would LOVE to see what you're turning out with this new tool!

Eric,

About Filmic Blender: I'm thinking about getting it myself, after hearing Andrew Price sing its praises. Reading that you've had positive experiences with it, too, could push me over into getting it. Could you maybe go a bit in depth in terms of its top 3 features that you use the most, or maybe that make the most dramatic differences to your renders?

Thanks in advance,

Brian
  • [Irishman][Irishman]177 Posts: 117Member
    Ah, nevermind! It looks like they've added Filmic Blender to standard Blender, from 2.79 onward.

Playing around with it now.
    Sorry Irishman, it's been a while since I've been on the site. I love that you can easily change between levels of contrast with the filmic option.
  • Polaris 004Polaris 004199 Posts: 752Member
    That is a beautiful Connie. I really need to update my computer and mess around with some of Blenders newer features.
    That is a beautiful Connie. I really need to update my computer and mess around with some of Blenders newer features.
    Thank you very much, Polaris 004!

When you do, don't forget to check out (and install) the Filmic Color Management System for Blender!

http://www.creativeshrimp.com/filmic-blender-tutorial.html

https://github.com/sobotka/filmic-blender