Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

PracticalBuild the Millennium Falcon Magazine Build

TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
edited September 2015 in Work in Progress #1
Hi guys, thought I'd post a new thread dealing with this subject. I mentioned it elsewhere in passing, but thought it deserving of it's own thread. Basically I'm going to be chronicling the build of the 1:1 scale studio model replica of the Millennium Falcon as featured in the Build the Millennium Falcon Magazine available in the UK.

In fact here is the quote of when I first mentioned it in Tralfaz's cgi Millennium Falcon modelling thread including a link to the magazine's website:
TALON_UK wrote: »
On the subject of the Falcon, in the UK there is currently one of those magazines where you collect a part each week or whatever to build a model, and in this case it is to build a replica of the 32" Millennium Falcon (though this looks to be hybrid too, as it has the five landing gear configuration and is stated as being the TESB version), now usually I consider these sort of things to be pretty crap, but from looking at the shots of the finished product, and buying the (discount priced) first issue and looking at the pieces that came with it, I might just invest in this one, it looks pretty damned accurate and is a combination of resin and metal pieces I believe, with light up elements and interiors. The first issue also comes with a life sized blueprint so you could get an impression of the size of the completed asset, and map where your components go on the model. You should check it out.

Here's the link: http://www.buildmillenniumfalcon.com/?gclid=Cj0KEQiA6JemBRC5tYLRwYGcwosBEiQANA3IB9C8otclcY6O8kEn1w0laqX2EMYyk2eF6Zpcq__s1I0aAt9R8P8HAQ

So to start off with I have just taken delivery of the next two issues, and so can now show you the first 3 packs of parts so you can get an idea of the quality. In addition to this I've take a snap of the 1:1 scale blueprint that gives a very real idea of the size this thing will eventually be. It's pretty massive and based on the 32" TESB version. Anyhow, here are the pics.

BuildFalcon_01.jpg

BuildFalcon_02.jpg

BuildFalcon_03.jpg
107904.jpg
Post edited by TALON_UK on
Tagged:

• TralfazTralfaz412 Posts: 846Member
    Good luck with the build Talon. It will be pretty cool to watch this baby come together. Don't know if this will ever come to Canada, but am hoping so. I think it is supposed to start in the U.S. sometime in February or March.
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    it's like Aï¿¡900 to finish it though, quite a lot of money
  • Wishbone_AshWishbone_Ash325 Posts: 250Member
    Just hope and pray it isn't cancelled after 3 issues like the Enterprise-D magazine was...

Yes I know the Falcon has substantially greater marketing value than a trek model but still I can't see this being a very big market. I'd be very worried about this being cancelled to invest any money in it personally. But best of luck!
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    This is really cool. How come we don't get cool stuff like this over here? *pouts*
  • JennyJenny2 Posts: 0Member
    Yeah, my Japanese cousins talk about the periodicals they get to build models (and even actual robots!) but I haven't ever seen a periodical here in the US that had a model at the end of the road. Maybe I just don't know where to look? Now I have a sad.
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Heh, there's another crazy magazine that has just come out where you collect the components to build a 3D printer. Mental.

Yeah, it'll around Aï¿¡900, but spread over a few years it shouldn't sting so much, and will still be cheaper than one of those Master Replicas 1:1 scale studio models. That's the only worry, that the magazine set won't go the distance, but the business model for this sort of thing must work for them to invest so much in developing it. There's a subscription deal that ensures you get every issue, and you get a few freebie issues and gifts within that. Plus I'm sure they'd have a lot of angry customers if they decided to cancel the mag before completion.

As a side note, I have the deluxe larger Millennium Falcon that came out a few years ago that accompanied the 3.3/4 inch action figures, and this is going to end up bigger than that, despite the scale being much smaller. Interestingly enough that largest component in the packs above, the disc mount for the quad laser cannon is bigger than the one on the toy.

Looks like it is going to be a fun build.
    More bits arrived today, issues #4 & #5. So we're about a twentieth of our way along the journey (going off of 100 issues for estimated completion). These issues included some metal framework pieces (oh, and some cockpit instrument panel details plus the front of the command console), but more significantly the hull plates for the corridor behind the cockpit (primarily just the corner section just aft of the cockpit), and the lighting element panel which will light up the back wall of the Falcon's cockpit. The hull pieces are looking pretty good, but I think a little additional weathering on top of the paint job they've already applied will be necessary to get a truly authentic looking model, but that's all part of the fun.

I'll wait till my next delivery which will have a few more decent pieces (cockpit viewport structure and more I'm hoping), and will make a start. Want to work at it in significant chunks rather than a little bit at a time every other week or whatever. So after the next delivery we should see a bit of building going on in this thread.
    How frequently do you get issues? I hope it's more than two a month. Otherwise, it would take more than 4 years to get 100 issues.
    No, it comes out weekly, so usually you'll get anything from 2 to 4 issues in a monthly package if you subscribe, I think the variation in numbers of issues delivered at the moment is just due to when the subscription began in relation to when the issues are due to come out, I expect things to settle down and become more regular as time goes on.
    That's not bad. You'll have all of the parts in just under a couple years that way.
    Well we're half a year in now with about 20 odd issues collected, so not far from the quarter way in mark I guess. The reason there have been no further updates on this yet are related to a number of factors. 1.) Finding some room to get to it, safe space is at a premium with a little nipper in the house. 2.) Coming to a decision on whether I'm going to do a complete fresh paint job on the thing, or just do selected painting enhancements where deemed necessary, such as with the die cast metal parts, etc.

From the quality of the parts I'm receiving and the paint job that they come ready applied with, I'm finally starting to lean towards the selected painting route, as in general the paint job isn't bad, and just a few areas could really use enhancement. I was worried the weathering on the hull plates would be inconsistent between parts etc, but they are proving to look pretty good all being said and done, good enough at least.

So the next hurdle is space to work on it, am working on that issue, so hopefully we should be able to see some updates with actual building action over the summer at some point. So stay tuned.
    Cool. It's nice to have an update on the state of things.
  • WakemanWakeman0 Posts: 0Member
    It comes to about $60 US a month for 25 months. As Millennium Falcons go, this one is supposed to be the "Holy Grail" of Falcons as it was build from a scan of the 36 inch studio model that Master Replicas had done at the Lucas archives. Paragrafix even has a photo etch for the cockpit to make further lighting easy(for now just the back wall is lighted) and and another photo etch to make lighting the interior easy and to really sharpen up the interior detail. I am going to order next month and start my build. I've done a lot of research for the same concern as the member post expressed about the project being cancelled, and am now convinced that it will absolutely see it's way through to the end for all subscribers. One note, although a few of thew earlier parts do have some paint which would suggest that the entire studio scale replica will be painted, it will not. In fact painting and weathering is to be done by the builder and there will be plenty of tech support if the builder is a novice not to mention there is plenty of help on You Tube for the first time model maker. Just Google: Build the Millennium Falcon and you'll find the web page. Think the company is DeAgostini.
  • WakemanWakeman0 Posts: 0Member
    Go for it man, I'm ordering mine next month!
    You're incorrect about the paint job, I'm 30 odd issues in now (last batch got delivered yesterday actually, some really interesting components, the boarding ramp is only motorized. This kit is the bomb!, check out the build the Falcon vid related to it), and the hull pieces do indeed come painted and weathered. It is just a case of whether the paint job that comes with it is good enough for you or you want to take it further (some of the battle damage details are quite crudely painted, and I'll most likely have a crack at doing a custom paint job on those details to make them subtler, or more realistic), though as I mention above, there are some pieces that absolutely must be painted such as some of the die cast parts, the quad laser cannon springs to mind. Will have to check out those Paragrafix enhancements you mention, they sound interesting.

As for my own build, still on hold, need to secure that space to work in. Thinking of starting with a complete build of the cockpit seeing how I have all the parts for that, and it is a relatively small component. All about finding the time and the space to work in now. Will definitely have to look at Paragrafix for those cockpit interior components.