Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DS Max - Modelling Workflow

toontoonizertoontoonizer171 Posts: 0Member
Hi all,

I've been trying to get back into some 3D stuff in my free time having dropped it for a while. I came back here and was inspired by the awesome work!

I'd be interested to know what kind of modelling workflows you guys use to model your ships (Max specific but workflows are transferable between applications)? I think my interest centers around primarily:

- how you decide when to use or when not to use turbosmooth (or subdivision),- do you use use simple unsmoothed base meshes and add high poly detail to those

but if you generally have a specific way of working, I would be intrigued in knowing. I've never studied this so my knowledge comes from websites, tutorials, helpful folk like yourself and my own trial and error. Unlike other art mediums there is a technical aspect here and therefore a sort of "right" way to do things, just like there is a "right" way to hold a pen (i.e. not upside down :D). While i'm not looking for the right way, i'm looking for ideas to help me find my own way and to make sure I'm not holding my pen upside down because, for someone who has never been told how to hold a pen, you wont know if your holding it upside down or not. Maybe thats not the best analogy.

If it helps, my current workflow is to literally wing it (which is probably my problem) - as a user of traditional art media (pencil + paper) it's easier to just create on the fly, at least for myself and i think thats carried over into my approach to 3d modelling. i.e. I don't block out and when I have tried blocking out its too simple and i end up disregarding it, I don't know when something should be smoothed or not, or how to determine whether a piece should be smoothed so i end up trying to create something where everything is turbosmoothed (which probably does not mitigate my frustration when even simple things result in difficulty).

Anyway, i'll stop ranting but I think you catch my drift. I'm looking forward to pick your minds and gain some insight into this, so thanks alot in advance for taking the time to reply, it is most appreciated!!
Post edited by toontoonizer on
Tagged: