Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DBlender Trek Thread

• Vortex5972Vortex5972321 Posts: 1,202Member
    Most excellent.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    I like the pylons so far.
    psCargile wrote: »
    Don't worry, there is still time left for WWIII.

I didn't say there isn't. I'm just saying it obviously didn't happen in the 1990s. ;) (though, they later retconned it to the mid 21st century)
  • psCargilepsCargile417 Posts: 620Member
    Some hull detail and docking ports.

hyperion9a.jpg

hyperion9b.jpg

hyperion9c.jpg
    Deck layout for future details planning.
    All of your image links bring up the same image, the first one.

It's looking good. How tall are your decks?
    All of your image links bring up the same image, the first one.

It took me until the third image to notice that. xD Brain's pretty much ready for bed.
    Ah the horrors of cutting and pasting.

I don't favor the huge studio set decks that have to accommodate cameras and lighting rigs, so the decks are spaced a little over 2 meters apart in most places. There should be places with higher ceilings or lower floors, and cargo bays that take up two or three decks. It's a deck chart, but not necessarily a floor plan.
  • ZeropointZeropoint0 Posts: 0Member
    so the decks are spaced a little over 2 meters apart in most places.

Wow, that's really cramped. As someone who's 195 cm tall in my stocking feet, and who's used to seeing a thick layer of cables, ducts, and pipes on the overhead, I find myself asking if you expect the crew to crawl everywhere!
    Zeropoint wrote: »
    Wow, that's really cramped. As someone who's 195 cm tall in my stocking feet, and who's used to seeing a thick layer of cables, ducts, and pipes on the overhead, I find myself asking if you expect the crew to crawl everywhere!

It is what it is; you're too tall for Starfleet.

I only planned for petite French women to crew them, so. . .

I'm thinking of having just one deck, kinda open like Skylab, but maybe with ledges.

Actually, 2.6 meters works better and aligns with the geometric changes.
    Decks structures are 25cm thick. decks are now 2.6m apart, except for the bridge and upper subdeck.

hyperion9d.jpg

The little yellow square represents a 6 foot person.
    2.6 m definitely sounds roomier. I'm only a few cm shorter than Zeropoint. ;)

The layout looks good. It's good that you're figuring all of this out before you add the windows.
  • MasaoMasao0 Posts: 0Member
    Hey, Paul.

The cross-section of the primary hull is circular?!?!?! Was this your concept all along or is this something your just changing now? When I did schematics for your ship way back when I don't think I ever imagined the XS was circular. It probably would've look too fat to me.
    Uh...this version is. I don't remember the original intent, or if we had a discussion about it. This isn't meant to supersede what you have done, or any model based on your schematics. I'm comfortable modeling in Blender now, and thought it wouldbe good and fun practice to work on some old concepts.
  • MasaoMasao0 Posts: 0Member
    I don't think we ever discussed it. I just ran with it! It's nice to see your take on it.
    Nothing much this evening except roughing in the docking port.
    107461.jpg
    hyperion11a.jpg

Didn't like the way the docking port hull recess looked, so I moved it aft like on the NX, which allowed me to extrude inward just one face. Luckily I had another model to use and didn't have to rebuild any surfaces. I did have the upper and bottom ledges modified to fit around the tube, but I didn't like it and all the knife cuts ruined in the smoothness of the flat surfaces of the ledges. I started over and removed the bottom ledge and some of the top. Looks a lot cleaner.
    It looks good. Are you going to do any more detail on the port or leave it as is, as it won't be seen very often?
    I'll add light fixtures, a docking collar, but I'll try textures for the rest of the detail.
    hyperion12a.jpg

A little more detail and playing around in compositing.
    Really nice.
    I like the TMP-style lights. Did you rig lights for those or use illum materials?
    A little of both. I have the material set to emit, and I place a point (or spot, depending) inside, and play around with the variables until it looks about right. I try to mimic real glass without going overboard and modeling a true Fresnel lens. I find the icospheres work better than the normal segmented spheres. To make it easy, I modeled the light fixtures in a separate file, so I just have to import, size, and place when I need an external light.

hyperion13a.jpg

That moment you realize your thing isn't scaled big enough. The hatch was too small, requiring either zero-g or ducking. I thought I scaled it up earlier. Glad I noticed before I delete the opposite saucer mesh faces and mirror everything.
    Don't forget the doorbell, or a brass knocker. :p

Making separate lights to pull in sounds like a good idea.
    In the last two versions of Blender, I could key a number of lights to an empty with a custom property of light brightness, so I could control many lights at one time--did this on the yacht model. But vs 2.72 they had to up and change **** and now I can't figure how how to do it. The keying still works on the yacht, but damned it I can figure out how it's doing it.
    Sounds like it's still there somewhere. That's a problem with updates, if you don't keep track with what's going on you get lost quickly. Probably why I don't even think of looking for updates very often.
    Yeah, realizing the port isn't big enough before you finalize it is definitely the way to go. Too bad the crew designing and building the NX-01 didn't notice theirs are too small. It has a 1.5 meter tall door. :shiner:
    psCargile wrote: »
    A little of both. I have the material set to emit, and I place a point (or spot, depending) inside, and play around with the variables until it looks about right. I try to mimic real glass without going overboard and modeling a true Fresnel lens. I find the icospheres work better than the normal segmented spheres. To make it easy, I modeled the light fixtures in a separate file, so I just have to import, size, and place when I need an external light.

It's a really nice looking effect. I tried doing realistic Fresnel glass once in Lightwave. I followed a tutorial and everything. It looked great, but it took ages to render and I have a great computer for rendering. So, you're definitely better off not doing that.
    It's got a Fog Glow added in Blender's compositing nodes. I wish Blender's nodes had a Film Grain so I wouldn't have to post process in Photoshop.
    Once I discovered 2.72b wouldn't import my MakeHuman files :mad:, I reinstalled 2.70a.

Started a file to plan out the bridge module.

hyperion14c.jpg

hyperion14a.jpg

hyperion14b.jpg

1) Cappy's Office and Nap room.
    2) Cappy's Private Crapper.
    3) Security Office, which was discontinued in starships on and after 2245 due it's misuse as a snoozing room, junk storage room, liquor cabinet, and make-out room, sometimes all at once.
    4) Breathing Air and Air Conditioning Room.
    5) Conference Room...more often used as a Break Room.
    6) Crapper for everyone else.
    7) Spacesuit and equipment lockers for...
    8) ...Emergency Airlock.
    9) Ladderway to Sensor Servicing Deck.
    10) Auxiliary Turbolift control room.
    11) Corridor
    12) Command Center, what some call the Bridge.
    Wow, that's weird. I thought Makehuman and Blender were practically sister projects. I know they used to have a link directly to Makehuman on the Blender website.

I like the bridge design. I really love your notes about what things are and what they're misused for. :lol:
    It may be that my Blender and MakeHuman versions are incompatible. I had upgraded to MH 1.01 and had problems with missing rigging in Blender 2.70a, so I went back to MH 1.0 alpha 7. So maybe B 2.72b works with MH 1.01, or whatever new build is current. I'll have to check.

I had problems importing X-plane objects too, which is the whole point of my learning Blender in the first place.

The problem with doing old bridges is not trying to fix the problems of newer bridge set designs. I found I had a lot of space in that area, but I want a smaller bridge to reflect a more submarine style, and I wondered if the upper deck above the bridge should be nothing but manned sensor stations like modern subs have a room of sonar stations, but the problem is the NX01 bridge is already pretty streamlined. Maybe it's bridge should have been more cramped, with more stations, and more people, but a set design for a TV show and an actual command and control center are two different things. I would image the Daedalus bridge wouldn't be too much different from the NX's, and thus the Hyperion's should be similar to the Constitution's.
    I got MakeHuman and Blender (both versions of each) to work with one another. I have a scaling issue importing MH 1.0a7 to Blender 2.72b but that is easy to fix.