Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Qusetions about file types.

BloodworthBloodworth0 Posts: 0Member
Greetings and let me apologize in advance if this thread is in the wrong area, (mods please feel free to move it if it is).

Ok, Im relatively new to 3D modeling (about 2.5 months) and am using DAZ 3D 4.6 .

My issue is this: I recently downloaded a copy of Tan J.'s Battlestar Hyades (along with Hesperides and Pleiades) form ShareCG, and am generally unhappy with the texture (the file has been converted for POSER). The model is also missing the guns (they are not actually missing but stuck in the middle of the model). So, I went to Foundation 3D and downloaded the original files there with hope of converting at least the guns in Poseray (pretty much to no avail :( ),
My main issue is not the guns but the texture. I have been tweaking the textures in DAZ and getting the ship to look a LITTLE better (I think some of the textures may have been placed in the wrong place in the ShareCG models) but there are a few texture files that my computer cannot read. They are filetype .RSF. I have been unable to find anything that can convert them to something useful to me (like PNG). Any ideas>
Post edited by Bloodworth on

• spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    I've downloaded his excellent models from foundation3d before. I got them into blender but had problems with textures just like you have trying to get them into poser. rsf is not a normal imag file type, and it certainly doesn't occur in the versions i have downloaded from foundation3d. If it is an iamge file type (it might be some sort of "junk" file left hanging around from the packing into a zip or 7z archive, or it might be some sort of text description but they would usually use .txt ) then GIMP (a free open source equivalent of photoshop) might be able to open it, if it can then conversion is certainly possible. I don't know where the author can be found but if you can find him i would suggest asking him if he can make the models available in obj format with jpg textures, that is usually a VERY compatible file type.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    GIMP won't open that file format, I already checked that. In fact, based on my Google search, not a lot of software will. It's probably a proprietary format. Your best bet may be to contact the author and find out what file format that is and what they use to open it. Or, if they're feeling nice, they may even be willing to convert it for you.
  • BloodworthBloodworth0 Posts: 0Member
    Yeah, I already tried opening the file with gimp and no luck. Also, sadly there no longer appears to be a way to contack Tan J. :(
    Ooh, that sucks. I guess you can try Googling the file type, and see if you can stumble upon something that will convert the file. It can be really tough sometimes with proprietary formats.
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9791 Posts: 5,322Member
    I do not see any textures of RSF type in that package just SRF
    Bit of google will give your answer on the second result
    http://www.fileinfo.com/extension/srf
    Likely it is a Light wave surface file. IE a type of material file.
    What you are going to have to do is recreate these elements either as diffuse maps or through whatever materials settings your package has.

You can easily contact him through F3d via PM. I think he used to come here as well. He was active last on oct14th at f3d.
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
    MadKoiFish wrote: »
    I do not see any textures of RSF type in that package just SRF

Probably a typo, but a major one. That explains why a search for .rsf came up with all kinds of stuff that you wouldn't expect to be associated with CGI.
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9791 Posts: 5,322Member
    Yeah got recovery file crap and some mac rubbish. Latter seemed like a close fit as it could be mac spew from say a temp save file or auto back up. But I thought maybe Ill DL the file and see as rar and zip are a nightmare of file versions and your always playing catch up with software updates. Once I saw the inverted file type I figured it was some LW file as I know LW and I think maya produce non transferable files with map positioning or non raster texturing information.

Just remember when you convert or use a conversion make sure you adhere to the original readme or rules relating to the original source download. His readme just requires credits on anything produced with it.

Anyhow good luck converting. I recommend looking at blender to do this (it seems to open LWO Okish where many other supports LWO apps fail and burn) and referring to any wip or renders of the ship to see how his intended look is kept in tact. Hell it just migth bve able to open those files or preview them in some form that you can export or render them to texture or some such.
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
  • BloodworthBloodworth0 Posts: 0Member
    :( Well, I just downloaded and installed Blender. Apparently IT won't open the .SRF files either.