Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

AnimationStar Wars FanFilm Opening Shot

RandalRRandalR0 Posts: 0Member
edited December 2014 in Work in Progress #1
Hello.

I actually have not been active in c4d and did not in tend to do any more cg stuff/videos.
But, I had agreed prior to maybe try and do this for a stranger seeking help on Scifi3d.
Requesting help to do a fan film animation.

Let me say, it had been a rough start.And , I have no idea/clue or info on this film.
What's in it, what it is about or any footage I have no references but the Instructions.
( Did have a nice Criss Cross animation on Tie Fitrs working, but, was not acceptable)

well, just thought I would share this wip video.
Still have much I think needs done, and have yet to get word on any more that needs added.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXo-ux-KbCg

omg, just noticed I misspeeled my name in video XD

Regards,

Randal R.

My Instructions Below.---I did 11 demos to try to get things situated as they are now.(without the audio)
Time cues,Audio and KF point conversions were done by myself. Original Instructions were based on the audio ^^
================================================== ===================

here's notes:

let's talk background first - this may be pre-emptive.. but want to put it out there in case it messes with what you've already

created

In the deep background between the two planets, i'd like a star back there, just about centered between the two planets, it would

be a bit of a backlight simulating a "sun".. again.. it would be in the deep background.. so not huge.. just emitting off a bit

more light than the other stars. (we can play with how big/bright to make it in later version i think)

the planet closest to camera ( or adjust camera position according to the two planets) i'd like the closer planet pushed over more

camera right, cutting off more of that planet.

super star destroyer - yes please - i'd like to see what it would be like from nose to tail, .. that being said can we angle the

back of the super star destoyer down more ( or again, adjust camera position differently to where we flying over it at a more

parallel plane ) so that it's less of a looking down on top of the super star destroyer, rather that the camera is looking

straight down the path as the super star destoryer comes towards us and travels underneath the camera

the arc over the back, i'd like it to be more of an arc, so that we assume the imperial star destroyer is almost directly below

and a little behind the super star destroyer.

the imperial star destroyer, should be going the same direction as the the super star destroyer.. it can also be further down

timing - here's the music i'm asking the composer to work off of, it will be our own music but the timing/feel will be the same as

this track:

go from the 11 sec mark to the 1:01 this is a bit longer than I had anticipated by about 10 seconds.. but should still work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_19IPpFocN4&list=PL5755B7BA7F19B8D2&index=30

here's the timing that i'm imagining:

camera drops down from the crawl starting the music from the 12 second mark, and into the mist til the 22 second mark.

from the 22 to 34 second mark.. i'd like the superstar destroyer to be breaking through the "mist", the camera approaching and

going over the nose of the super star destroyer, the camera travels from the nose to the tail of the super star destroyer til

about the 34 second mark, where the camera arcs and goes down behind the super star destroyer revealing the battle below

(reference revenge of the sith video link below from the 26 second mark til the 40 second mark - "WE" are just going the opposite

direction over the super star destroyer and not getting as fancy with the arc)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWoGkrt5Upg

EVERYTHING BELOW THIS MARK IS ABOUT THE STARFIGHTERS

by the 36--Fr1080-- (24 V)--Fr 720 -- mark from our music, the camera should complete the arc and be looking down at the battle

below, at this point our lead x wing is coming in frame, a close up side view tilted on its axis. As the x-wing completes its arc

we should hit the 38--Fr1140--(26 V)--Fr 780-- second mark and the x wing streaks down towards the battle below.

the 40--Fr1200--(28 V)--Fr840-- second mark, two tie interceptors give pursuit after that first x wing.

('42--Fr1260(30 V)--Fr 900-- second mark, the tie interceptors are lined up taking shots at the first x wing, coming really close to

blowing it up.

('45--Fr1350--(33 V)--Fr990-- second mark another x wing follows the two ties ( during all this we are slowly descending towards the

imperial star destroyer )

probably be cool to have the second x wing fighter spin as it chases the two ties..

the 47--Fr1410--(35 V)--Fr1050-- mark, have the second x wing blast one of the ties..

the 50--Fr1500--(38 V)--Fr1140== mark the second x wing blasts the other tie

('52--Fr1560-- (40 V)--Fr1200-- second mark the second x wing flies through the remaining explosion debris

the 54--Fr1620--(42 V)--Fr1260-- second mark the second x wing accelerates catching up to the 1st x- wing ( we are getting really

close to the imperial star destroyer by this point)

the 58--Fr 1740-- (46 V)--Fr1380-- second mark the two x wings are formed together and veer off away from the imperial star

destroyer ( but our camera keeps continuing towards the deck of the imperial star destroyer)

by the 1:00 minute mark the camera is pushing through the decks of the imperial star destroyer and we cut to (the elevator opening

up in the infirmary - already filmed)
107245.jpg
Post edited by RandalR on
Tagged:

• gusdorfgusdorf175 Posts: 51Member
    Great job!
  • WizWiz28 Posts: 0Member
    I like it, the music sets up the scene nicely and is a little different for Starwars :)
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    Good to see new animations from you, and good to see the outline of it that you have typed.
  • RandalRRandalR0 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks for the replies.

@Spacefighter...those notes are actually what I was given as a description of the scene.
    I am told it was derived with the Battlestar Theme.But I have learned that this will not be the audio/music/score
    for this scene.

I made this for someone else's movie.....what is a meesa thinking!!!!

Hoping this WIP#5 will be satisfactory.

https://vimeo.com/111394753
    [video=vimeo;111394753]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCL3WaKKtjg

I think I did well for a padawan learner.

Regards,
    After Cue Mark Changes, and other additional requests, I had to stick with wip#5.
    And Changed the timing to suit request.Added some more to scene.Rendering is thru the roof!!!!

All the attempts at making what was being asked for was practically impossible to do.
    Especially in a 3d App and even trying to animate from the camera.

If you have any tips or suggestions on how to improve the Video/Render/Scene,
    please leave a reply.
    I am just a Novice self taught user.

[video=vimeo;112798734]
    Well, I was on the path to Glory and Stardom,,,,and the App crashed and somehow erased my saved file...

so, I had a big set up for the Corvette explosion, but when I was trying to split mesh for the 3rd and big bloom Flare Blast C4d Crashed...

I have added and redone some stuff,and just recently today I re-did this Adv. Tie Fighter.The only texture that was with it was a bump for the wings. dumped it I think and went through all the selection tags for the polys and made due with what I got. I think it turned out good for a first makeover.

I have been told that the producers are really happy with what I've got going. and since I have so much time in it,
    I keep trying to think and add more.

There is a lot more in the scene in terms of effects and animations then the previous posting (Video). Just don't have the time to render it out in full.( appx 6 mins a frame currently@ 30fps.)

Regards,
    107412.jpg107413.jpg
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann631 Posts: 1,287Member
    The opening reminded me of Aliens, when we see the escape pod slowly trawl towards the camera and the plasma cloud being so prominent. I don't know if that's what you were intending, but I like it!

I keep thinking that I want to see this shot in 3D (or should I say stereo-vision?), to get a sense of how deep the shot really is.
    The opening reminded me of Aliens, when we see the escape pod slowly trawl towards the camera and the plasma cloud being so prominent. I don't know if that's what you were intending, but I like it!

I keep thinking that I want to see this shot in 3D (or should I say stereo-vision?), to get a sense of how deep the shot really is.

Thanks!

If I could pass render the distanced objects with DoF and then layer them and comp-may help, but that is just insane render times for a home/amateur.
    though it may be worth it in some degree, but most viewers may not even notice,,, scene is really complex and Comp and display tags on most everything. Problem is, I cannot include/exclude DoF on objects,and nothing is as it seems to create the illusion, so DoF across the board will not work right either really.
    I must have at least 40-50 particle groups as it is to keep emitters and pyros separated :)

--C4d can Stereo render, have done it>> 1st experiment with Stereo-vision in c4d..using the old method of 3d.--
    From 2 yrs ago. requires red/cyan glasses avail @ Amazon .com 4.99 where I got mine. :)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZI2kme7-Gu8
    that would be something if I could make this 3d,,,,cool as ****...:D

Film Notes:
    The whole scene is the filmakers design. They gave me a basic "plan" and cues and timing points with an audio track that
    is similar ( BSG UK Version main theme) To what is being composed am told.

( They really do not want this in public view yet, but gave me some leeway for wip threads( 5) and am only updating this one here @ SciFimeshes.)
    regards,

lol, seems to be the ONLY place I can get any feedback.
  • TralfazTralfaz412 Posts: 846Member
    Things are looking really good Randal. BTW, not sure if you know it or not, but when C4D crashes it will write out your file to a save location before finally exiting. Even though I find C4D really stable, that save function has saved my butt once or twice.
    thanks Mister T.

Since I uploaded it, may as well post it.

Video Description:
    A render test of wip Corvette explosion.A test render of sequence
    currently working on.

was working on the Corvette explosion, had one more big flash bloom out of 3 was making, and was splitting the mesh to break it up. well, C4d had difficulty and crashed, wiped my last save file.
    so, this basically is the previous last save with some added components.
    Need to render out a sequence to see what is really going on.

-Did a complete retexture makeover of the Adv. Tie...
    since seeing this have since fixed lighting for the Parts/Wings/Pieces .
    -Added lightning effects that arc off of wing parts, but really hard to see them.
    -Added 6 tie fitrs ( seen) and since render think I corrected lighting on them also.
    -Changed one of the Hapan emitters to be seen in camera( red bolts)
    ( the one piece is of the cockpit with a Lightning texture layered over it)

I also tried to make one of the Adv Ties animation tracks fit better,
    though it is on a flight path, in camera it looked as though it sped up
    and shifted. will need to do another full render soon maybe.

Am thinking of just adding a big flare bloom as a third explosion rocks the corvette just as it goes out of camera frame, and not try and break it up at all. or leave it as is.
    well, the thumbnail looks dark, hope the video isn't - relighting would be a nightmare lol

This is just a demo of doing the crawl with current video. they were asking me to change everything so it could be put in.I did it hastliy on Thanksgiving to demonstrate to myself and others it can be done by masking it in AE.

Did have to render out the same star bg for mask bg in AE.

Appreciate the comments. And any comments or suggestions and/or tips.
    Noticed: may need to adjust scale animation on the Corvette, does not look like it is quite right.
    2nd Notice- I do not see the Streaks using hair/tracers. have 2 streak explosions , may be a TP grouping issue.

Randal R.
    Thought I would throw in these pics as well, I did a lil more on it.
    so, I think I have it where it looks pretty good.

These will help show it a lil better.
    One with Motion Blur, one without.
    The Model is by Tom Gray's. It had no textures on it at all. Nice model.
    if I dint really notice it had no textures, it must be good :)

AdvTie2noblur1357_zps5498e9ff.png

AdvTie2_1357_zpseef240a4.png

Sorry if dislike linked images.but I fear I may be running low on Image space.

regards,

AdvTie1_1272_zps52e4a8f1.png

AdvTie1w-oMB1272_zps3af976c1.png
    Work IN Progress. Star Wars Fanfilm opening shot.
    currently scene is rendering at 18-20 minutes per frame.
    Pentium i7 2600 @3.4 GHz

Am not real happy with the changes made to Lightning arcs.
    They do not appear as I has hoped/imagined.
    Takes forever to render out to see though.
    I am an amateur/hobbyist in CG/animation/Gfx.
    Think the Corvette explosion needs nothing else :) .

UPDATED Rendering out.

FInal Wip version 4-5-2

Are several things that can be improved, as they did not turn out as I hoped, and test render's showed.

But many will not even notice them, but I can :) at least not in 1st viewing.

At this moment , am unsure of what the Film Maker's will say about what needs attention or changed or

any other considerations or alterations.

[video=vimeo;112798734]

Regards,

Randal R.