Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

PracticalTIE Standard - Revell

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    It looks great. I love all of the work you're doing to bring it closer to the studio model.
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Yeah, there's some real dedication to the cause of authenticity going on here, will also make the end result a one of a kind, which will be nice.

:thumb:
  • PixelMagicPixelMagic471 Posts: 663Member
    TALON_UK wrote: »
    Yeah, there's some real dedication to the cause of authenticity going on here, will also make the end result a one of a kind, which will be nice.

:thumb:

Thanks. It tries my patience, but I think it will be worth it now that I'm almost at the end. :)
    Got a little bit done tonight. I got one TIE solar panel painted. If anyone wants to know, it's Tamiya Semi Gloss Black. I see some people use Flat Black, but the studio model definitely has some glossy shine to it, but not super shiny.

YaRs8RZ.jpg

lpcRUQd.jpg

Wanted to see how the black looked against the hull color. I find it comforting that the TIE hull color looks blue in photography, but not quite as much in person. This also happens with the studio models, I guess I'm on the right track.

Q7otIoR.jpg
    It looks great. The semi gloss black looks spot on.
    Ok, another update. I apologize if I am being too through with my updates. I just know when someone else posts their WIP, sometimes they leave out details I'd be interested in, so I am trying to include everything I'm doing. It may bore a few, so I apologize.

I wanted to get the last of the body modifications out of the way, so we will start there. I took the piece from the back of the TIE ball. Again, I built parts from sheet styrene and styrene strips. I sanded down panel detail and replaced with my own panels.

Original part...

KZNVF1v.jpg

Modified part...

0deOjvS.jpg

I finally have finished one of the major components, a wing/solar panel.

Below is the best procedure for repainting. As in my previous posts, you will notice I painted the whole thing black first. I masked the parts I wanted to stay black and sprayed my hull color over it. I did it this way because it is easier to mask the recessed black areas than to try to paint everything the other way round.

Inside masked
    6bWmM0f.jpg

Be sure to mask the backside as well, because airflow around the wing during spray will deposit paint particles on the backside, and you don't want to ruin your glossy black with grey paint.

fKWtbQb.jpg

Masking coming off. Looking good!

38OpMP3.jpg

Masked removed...

wDMEBhA.jpg

And now the opposite side with the strut pieces attached. The wing is complete except for a peg piece in the middle that will be added when the wing is mounted to the fuselage.

ytyDdJ2.jpg
    That looks frakking fantastic. :thumb:

Never apologize for posting updates. I love this stuff and I agree, sometimes you want to see something that someone posting a WIP leaves out or doesn't focus on.
    That looks frakking fantastic. :thumb:

Never apologize for posting updates. I love this stuff and I agree, sometimes you want to see something that someone posting a WIP leaves out or doesn't focus on.

Thanks. The biggest thing that happens to me is maybe 2 or 3 years after someone else builds a model, I'll run across their thread. Then I'll have a question on how they did something specific, because they glossed over that part of the build. Then who knows if they'll answer me about it or even remember what they did three years after the fact, ya know?

I'm also thinking about every time I finish a model to post the exact paint colors I used, and on which parts I used them. Including paint mix ratios, as is the case in this TIE's hull color. This will be helpful for people who want to get the correct colors without the insane research I did, and it will help me remember which colors I used if I ever want to build another TIE of a different scale and have them be consistent.
    PixelMagic wrote: »
    Thanks. The biggest thing that happens to me is maybe 2 or 3 years after someone else builds a model, I'll run across their thread. Then I'll have a question on how they did something specific, because they glossed over that part of the build. Then who knows if they'll answer me about it or even remember what they did three years after the fact, ya know?

I'm also thinking about every time I finish a model to post the exact paint colors I used, and on which parts I used them. Including paint mix ratios, as is the case in this TIE's hull color. This will be helpful for people who want to get the correct colors without the insane research I did, and it will help me remember which colors I used if I ever want to build another TIE of a different scale and have them be consistent.

I get what you're saying. I've asked people before how they did things and they don't remember, especially when it comes to mixing colors. That information can even be useful for CGI. Posting that information would definitely be helpful.
    Weekend update.

Finished painting both wings other than touch up. Very happy about this because each one takes 2.5 hours to mask off.

CHwrtLh.jpg

I also sprayed a light coat of primer over the cockpit ball because modifications are complete. Very happy to see everything looks good once unified by the coat of primer. Can't really tell where I sanded and shaved pieces off. I was worried about leaving cut and sanding marks behind, but it's smooth.

The panel lines are also much more subdued than the out of box kit after I did the filler primer on the TIE ball. I'm glad they aren't so pronounced now.

koFhrR7.jpg

Everything is really about finished, so hopefully I'll have this model done sometime in the near future. :)
    Yeah, once it has a coat of primer on it, it looks like it was molded that way. Everything looks fantastic.
  • DarkSapiensDarkSapiens174 Posts: 0Member
    Looking amazing, PixelMagic. Can't wait to see it finished :)
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Aye, looking good, on the home straight now.
    Getting closer and closer. Got the LEDs and fiber optics laid in. To get these large fiber optics to fit into the engine nozzles I had to drill and file out some channels into the plastic for them to sit. This was very delicate work, because going too much to the wrong side would have breached the channel out of the hull and ruined the outer surface. The optic fibers are not sitting in the channels yet, simply hanging freely until I'm ready to close it up.

tAjltlE.jpg
    Cool. What all are you lighting besides the engines?
    Cool. What all are you lighting besides the engines?

The idea is to light up the cockpit with an overhead light as well, if we can get it to fit. If not, just the engines.
    Ok, time for an update. I got the TIE ball assembled...through sweat and tears. This thing did not want to go together properly, even with glue. I had to hold the pieces with my finger pressure until they started to hurt. Even still I am left with some sizeable gaps and even some overhang where the pieces don't mate up properly.

I got very lucky that the overhang is happening in areas where I am obliterating detail and scratch building anyway. Still, Revell needs to get their crap together over something like that. Such a stupid place to put a seam line. With some filing, putty, and sanding, I can fix and make it seamless, but still. I shouldn't have to.

Front with overhang and seam gaps.
    TKCvc9g.jpg

Fully painted and partially decalled upper hatch with custom mods..

z5JJzwi.jpg

Rear with less objectionable seamlines, but still there.
    qeYPAFJ.jpg
  • mikalamikala176 Posts: 440Member
    Well that is one hell of a fit issue.
    Still want to pick one of them up though!
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    I want one, please :D

Totally awesome PM!
    Ah, the fun result of molds that have been over used. That and kit parts can sit in varied environments and warp over time. It makes for a headache, that's for sure. Still, you're doing fantastic work, as always. I see some sanding and putty in your future. By the way, I really like the paint job on the hatch. It will look even better once that ball is fixed and matching. :)
  • TralfazTralfaz412 Posts: 846Member
    Looks like a lot of hard work has gone into making this model so far. It's looking great. It is true that you are at the mercy of the manufacturer of the kits. I used to build car models and compete in contests. I remember I bought 3 kits of a 67 Malibu. Each one of the bodies were super warped and took a lot of work to straighten them out. Ahhh, the good ole' times.
    I had hoped to finish this sucker before going on vacation. That won't happen as I leave today. I might take the kit with me, plus a few tools to finish up the body work during my down time. Then when I return home, I can take the airbrush to it to finish the paint job and assembly.
  • TralfazTralfaz412 Posts: 846Member
    Have a great vacation!
    Ok, so I got the seam work done. On the front side I had to completely sand away the detail on either side of the cockpit glass. It's just as well I guess, the detail there was soft and inaccurate anyway. I'll scratch build the detail back up.

I attacked the overhangs with metal files to make them even. This left a small gap that had to be filled with putty and sanded down. On the backside, I wanted to keep all that detail, so I had to very carefully sand in small corners to not sand down detail. It come out pretty good, the detail was saved.

The TIE ball now just needs the scratch build details on the sides of the cockpit glass and a couple on the back. I should be painting it later this week and the model will be pretty much done at that point.

7nFi6qG.jpg

MOzEHwZ.jpg
    Not a huge update, but since all the major body work is done, I wanted to see how it looked all together. Revell really did a good job with the proportions I think. Pretty close to the studio model by my eye. Their other kits proportions are quite questionable, and some downright very wrong like their Millennium Falcon.

I have not progressed further than this because it has been too cold to prime/paint the TIE ball. This weekend is looking like temps in the 60s however, so there is a chance I could completely finish painting this thing over the weekend, which would be nice.

zBPFInA.jpg
    Yeah, I'll bet it is pretty cold in Minneapolis right now. ;)

It's looking great. The proportions look good to me too. Revell and various other kit companies are kind of so-so when it comes to their Sci-Fi stuff. Though, that may be somewhat due to the information they get from the franchises. ;) The toy companies are worse, though. I think some of them don't even try.
    Yeah, I'll bet it is pretty cold in Minneapolis right now. ;)

Ha. Actually I forgot to update my profile information, but I don't live in Minneapolis anymore. Thank God. I have lived in Alabama for the last 2 years, so the winters are pretty mild.

Btw, for those interested, this is my next project...

x7G6AIF.jpg?1
    That's really cool. I'm not up to date on a lot of the newer TF cartoons, (I still watch the ones from the '80s, though) what version of Prime is that?
    Ha. Actually I forgot to update my profile information, but I don't live in Minneapolis anymore. Thank God. I have lived in Alabama for the last 2 years, so the winters are pretty mild.

Oh, that explains how it's going to be 60 in a few days. :lol: Yeah, I spent a few years in the South myself, Georgia and South Carolina. It was pretty nice. Doing Army basic training at Ft. Benning, GA in the Fall and Winter isn't bad, especially compared to the heat of Summer. :)
    That's really cool. I'm not up to date on a lot of the newer TF cartoons, (I still watch the ones from the '80s, though) what version of Prime is that?

It's not from the cartoons. This is from the 2014 Michael Bay movie, Transformers: Age of Extinction.
    It's not from the cartoons. This is from the 2014 Michael Bay movie, Transformers: Age of Extinction.

Yeah, I haven't seen that, nor will I. I really loathed Dark of the Moon, so I told myself I'm not watching any more of those films that he's involved with.