Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

PracticalTIE Standard - Revell

PixelMagicPixelMagic471 Posts: 663Member
edited January 2015 in Work in Progress #1
Just started laying primer down on this thing. Also did some paint touch up on the pilot. A good bit larger than my previous TIE build.

A3poq74.jpg
107875.jpg
Post edited by PixelMagic on
Tagged:

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Sweet. From what I can see, the pilot looks awesome. The rest is all primer, so I'll wait until later to comment on that. ;)
  • PixelMagicPixelMagic471 Posts: 663Member
    Sweet. From what I can see, the pilot looks awesome. The rest is all primer, so I'll wait until later to comment on that. ;)

Here is a better look at the pilot.

YTI9KkP.jpg
    It looks great. I always thought the Imp pilot uniforms and helmets were cool. Kind of Stormtrooper meets Vader. :)
  • TralfazTralfaz412 Posts: 846Member
    Great start PixelMagic. You were saying this model was much larger than the Vader's tie fighter. Were they not made in the same scale? Pretty dumb if they didn't.
  • mikalamikala176 Posts: 440Member
    Is this Tie quite a bit bigger than the Fine Molds Tie?
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Tralfaz wrote: »
    Great start PixelMagic. You were saying this model was much larger than the Vader's tie fighter. Were they not made in the same scale? Pretty dumb if they didn't.

Different brand of kit, his DV TIE was a Fine Molds. If I remember rightly both Revell TIE kits are to scale, but it has been a while since I followed the physical kit scene, so correct me if I'm wrong.

One thing that annoyed me back in the day (when I was a kid/young adult building these things, circa 80's/90's) was that the X-Wing and TIE Fighters were built to a completely different scale. What Muppets.
    Different companies doing the models is understandable. I always hated that thing that TALON_UK mentioned, where they were from the same company and still not to scale. Of course, they do stuff like this when they make models for movies, that's how we wind up with scaling issues.
    That is correct. The Darth Vader TIE that I finished a couple of weeks ago was a 1/72 scale by Fine Molds. This model is roughly 1/37 scale by Revell.
    Small update, but not on the actual model. Having done more research on ILM's studio model TIEs, I have found the exact correct color to match the studio model. Below is an image of a TIE hatch from ILM's original TIE fighter from A New Hope. You will see a color swatch labeled TS-32, which is in fact Tamiya TS-32 Haze Grey model paint. The match to the original ILM model color is pretty much dead on.

pckYoCk.jpg

Now, before painting my own model Haze Grey, I wanted to see what it looked like on a TIE model that was not studio scale. I had an old Revell snap together that I don't really care about, so I painted it TS-32 Haze Grey. To my eye, it looks way too dark at such a small scale. It looks even darker in person than in this photo. On a studio scale model it would probably look correct. The smaller a model is, the lighter you have to paint them to look correct.

lndMpyR.jpg

So to that end, I'm going to have to make a compromise in matching the studio model, which is usually my goal, to match what looks "correct". TIEs in the movie look grey, almost white, not near as dark. What I will probably do is a mix of Haze Grey and White. Perhaps 2 parts white, 1 part Haze Grey.
    That's an incredible find. We usually have to guesstimate when trying to match colors to studio models.
    That's an incredible find. We usually have to guesstimate when trying to match colors to studio models.

Indeed. If I ever build a studio scale TIE, I will probably use Haze Grey. I am also right now building an X-wing model as well, and there is still some debate on the colors used on it. I'm just going to have to eyeball the colors of the X-wing like I did with the Snowspeeder. I think I can get a close match.
    Bit of an update on hull color I wanted to share with the community. Based on research done by Studio Scale modelers, Tamiya T-32 Haze gray is a DEAD ON match to the studio model hull color.

I however wanted to spray my color with an airbrush, because I feel that Haze Grey is too dark for a model smaller than studio scale. What I did in this test below was take XF-2 Flat White and XF-82 Ocean Gray 2 (RAF) (which looks very near identical to Haze Grey, just slightly darker) and mixed them 1:1...

aYctrnK.jpg

This produced the results below...

sPJYkVT.jpg
    iqvtAIR.jpg
    zW2IvDp.jpg

As you can see, the results are VERY close. In person they are even closer than these photos do justice. My mixture on the left, and Haze Grey on the right. Now mine is a little lighter in shade than Haze Grey because I believe I mixed in too much white. If you did say 1.5 or 2 parts XF-82, and 1 Part XF-2, I believe you'd have a pretty much dead on match to Haze Grey. In person these spoons are almost identical.

I however, going for a smaller scale, will probably even add more white to the mix to lighten mine more, but I wanted to let you guys know what I found out.
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    PixelMagic wrote: »
    The smaller a model is, the lighter you have to paint them to look correct.
    fascinating, do you know why that is? it's not something that ever would have crossed my mind when painting a model
  • mikalamikala176 Posts: 440Member
    My guess would be be surface area and the way it sends light back to us.
  • stonkystonky350 Posts: 489Member
    mikala wrote: »
    My guess would be be surface area and the way it sends light back to us.

Yeah, and I think that's it's typically a way to more accurately represent the color as you'd see it in real life given the scale. The smaller the scale, the more the colors should be subdued because if you were to see the subject in real life and it were to appear at that size given it's distance from you, there'd be more atmospheric haze between you and the subject, subduing the colors. So, the smaller the scale, the further it would be away from you if you were to observe the actual object at that size, the more subdued the colors should be.

At least that's how I understand it. :)
    IRML wrote: »
    fascinating, do you know why that is? it's not something that ever would have crossed my mind when painting a model

Here is an article on Color Scale Effect if you want more info...

http://www.cybermodeler.com/color/scale_effect.shtml

Stonky pretty much got the gist of it. Using the same colors as you would at full scale, when using those same colors on smaller scale, the contrast is just too much and the colors are too saturated making the model look toy like and odd.

I don't understand the full science behind, it, but I know when I've painted tiny models, such as a TIE fighter with studio scale correct paint, they look way to dark to my eye. When I take that color as a base and lighten it with white, say 1 part or 2 parts white, then the scale model suddenly looks to my eye "correct".

I try to find out what color an object really is, and use that as a starting point, and then just eye ball it from there. It has served me well thus far.
    Ok, I got 3 of the 4 solar panels painted. I ended up using 2 parts XF-2 Flat White and 1 part XF-82 Ocean Gray 2 (RAF). It came out pretty much exactly like I wanted, and still has the hue from the studio model, so I am quite pleased.

t01ie1c.jpg

I also completely repainted the pilot, because his factory paint job was crap.

6BY96qN.jpg
    Smart use of straws. :)

The wing looks great so far. The pilot looks frakking awesome. I'm always impressed when people manage to get such tiny details painted so cleanly.
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    That colour looks spot on mate. Interesting info on the colour to scale issue, makes perfect sense if you think about it logically, it is funny how you never think of this stuff until an issue like you ran into occurs and you ask 'Why doesn't this look right?'

Excellent job on that TIE Pilot too, what scale is this again? Paint job looks good enough to be an action figure.

:thumb:
    TALON_UK wrote: »
    Excellent job on that TIE Pilot too, what scale is this again? Paint job looks good enough to be an action figure.

Thank you for your kind words. The scale isn't listed on the box, but most model makers agree it's around 1/37th scale.
    Update on a missing piece that I was able to replace with a spare part.

The Revell model is pretty accurate for the most part, but a major part on the back of the TIE ball is not represented by the kit. It is a detail part right behind the cockpit hatch.

Come to find out, ILM actually used a model kit part from a Sherman Tank bogie (suspension) for the detail piece.

8nMM0hE.jpg

To that end, I found a 1/72nd scale Sherman Tank for cheap on ebay and purchased it for it's suspension part.

G16tpb8.jpg

Now, some versions of this tank have the suspension piece separate from the wheels, but unfortunately it was not the case for me. The piece was also considerably thicker than the studio model piece, but the detail was right.

NnF26kl.jpg

I used a sprue cutter to cut off the wheels and shave down the thickness of the part considerably. I then cleaned up the roughness with an Xacto.

MZzE7lY.jpg

After noticing the thickness was still too thick, I started shaving off layer after layer with a strong Xacto again. Finally, the thickness was nearing where it should be, so I then started grinding it on wet 220 grit sandpaper laid on a strong flat surface (bathroom sink). This flattened the bottom nicely and leveled the shaving marks from my Xacto.

mrZx5w8.jpg

Unmodified pieces and the final piece...

GIkgdE9.jpg
    9owqKE1.jpg

And how it looks on the TIE itself...

FTzTaJq.jpg
    Nice work. :)

One nice thing about Star Wars is that they kitbashed everything, so at least you replace missing details, if you know what kits they came from, like this one.
  • bosunbosun62 Posts: 0Member
    That's some quality craftsmanship, PM. You're making me nostalgic for my old kit-bashing days.
    Here is Saturday's update. I noticed that I had enough parts to test fit the major components together, and I wanted to see what it looked like and how large it was going to be. Banana for scale.

nm1KQfe.jpg

MCjz1TI.jpg

I also noticed the top cockpit hatch was missing a few details, and there was also no detail for the hatch bolts. I used a teeny tiny drill bit to drill the bolts and I used styrene strips to add some missing details.

New detail bits are white. If you look closely, you will notice little bolts drilled into the plastic.
    11J4dBj.jpg

And fully primed...
    mqjQDrc.jpg
    Now we just need to know how big the banana is. ;)

Seriously, that's looking great. The added details on the hatch really add a lot to it. I see some of the holes you drilled in the unprimed piece, but they really show up after you added the primer.
  • TralfazTralfaz412 Posts: 846Member
    This is coming along just great. True craftsmanship on identifying the tank suspension part and modifying it to fit the Tie fighter. Definitely agree with Chris about the drilled holes being much more noticeable after the primer was applied. You've got great attention to detail.
    Sunday night update. Firstly, I'm an idiot. I dug further into the Sherman tank model sprues, and low and behold, I found other separate bogie pieces that were on the sprue without the wheels or the crazy thickness!

I suppose they had two different ones for options of how you want to build the tank. So to that end, if you guys get the same Sherman tank kit I did, you will not have to do any modification on the part like I did in my previous post. I was just being a blind dummy.

Along those lines, if any of you guys out there are building the Revell TIE Standard or Revell Darth Vader TIE, simply email me and perhaps I can ship one of the spare parts in an envelope to you.

5JrKdQG.jpg

I also went ahead and knocked out the TIE cockpit. Since the cockpit is SO inaccurate, I did not try to accurize it. I would have basically had to scratch build the cockpit to be accurate. I don't really care that much since a TIE cockpit is too dark to see into anyway.

bIuZRfb.jpg

I also did a couple of things on the TIE ball. Firstly, the panels lines on the cockpit ball seem quite too thick, so I used many coats of high build filler primer on the ball while masking everything else with tape and liquid mask to prevent their details from being covered.

7rAWW8G.jpg

I also noticed that some of the TIE ball details were represented on the kit as low detail raised areas. I wanted them to have a more accurate shape, so I cut them off and sanded the area down. I then replaced these details with scratch details built from styrene sticks.

fMtrsJC.jpg

7CJVQ6H.jpg

Test fit with finished hatch...

t1QHf1T.jpg
    Inaccurate or not, the cockpit looks good. I like the paint job. Good job on those fuselage details too. As for missing those bits on the trees, we all do things like that. It sucks that you had to do all that work, but at least you got it looking like it should.
    Small update for tonight. Sigh...more modifications. Luckily easy. Tonight was painting the cockpit glass. It comes prepainted, so the first thing I did was soak it in 91% rubbing alcohol to loosen the paint. Once it had sat for a couple of hours, I took it out and scrubbed off the paint with a toothbrush.

To give the primer a bit more surface, I lightly sanded the rim with 600 grit sandpaper. Then masked off the clear areas...

TDEoeCp.jpg

After a light coat of primer, I was disappointed to see that while panel line detail from the studio model was present on the piece, it was very soft, and not well defined at all. After putting on the dark grey paint, I was certain this detail would be obliterated and not visible.

iIwHK0n.jpg

To rectify this, I used a flat file to sand deeper straight panel lines, and then used the same drill bit I did on the upper hatch to drill the bolt circles. I used the soft detail that was already there as a guide for placement of the file and drill bit.

7GUnoPR.jpg

After hitting it with a final coat of primer, and then the dark grey paint (in this case Tamiya XF-50 Field Blue), the panels now look like what you see on the studio model instead of being hidden to soft detail. The reason I used Field Blue instead of a saturation-less neutral dark grey, is because the hull color of the TIE will also have a very slight blue tint. Field Blue looks 95% grey, but just a HINT of blue. I feel this helps unify the color language of the model. Just more pleasing to the eye.

WklFd0q.jpg
    Update for this weekend. I stripped paint from the pre-painted solar panel wings, and finished most of the TIE ball detail modifications.

I soaked the TIE solar panel wings in 91% alcohol overnight and then scraped the black paint off easily with a toothbrush. This will allow me to prime the bare plastic and repaint over the model.

yAOggC0.jpg
    YGCB8iL.jpg

A few updates ago, I drilled bolt holes into the upper hatch that were missing. I noticed after studying a studio model, that there are also bolt holes in the bottom hatch. I therefore added them.

qwQugJH.jpg

Lastly, I finished almost all of the detailing of the TIE ball. I shaved off and sanded down the raised detail on the ball and replaced with scratch parts built from styrene strips to better match the studio model.

vbALYgd.jpg
    AzTbM4y.jpg
    ndnAo5g.jpg