Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DTantive Series: R2D2

WizWiz28 Posts: 0Member
edited December 2016 in Finished Work #1
R2D2 Tantive.

This is a finished version of one of my Tantive images, which includes scenes with R2, C3PO, and Vader (eventually :))
106777.jpg
Post edited by Wiz on
Tagged:

• TralfazTralfaz412 Posts: 846Member
    Damned dude! That's awesome!

Tell us for real though. You've really built a full size corridor set and R2D2 and take photographs of it, right?
  • WizWiz28 Posts: 0Member
    Haha, the secret is out (if only :P). thanks for the kind words :)
  • jay-mojay-mo0 Posts: 0Member
    That is looking absolutely fantastic. Is that an Iray render? Wasn't sure if you are still using it. I actually started playing around with Iray and it's pretty cool. If it is, how long do you let that cook?
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Awesome as usual, Wiz. :)
    @jay-mo; yep this is iRay, although I do several passes in post as well :) that render took about an 30 minutes.

@evil; thanks matey :)
  • MartocticvsMartocticvs444 Posts: 524Member
    Really nice - take a header slot ;)
    Awesome :) thanks!
  • stonkystonky350 Posts: 489Member
    How did I miss this??!! Fantastic!!!
    Went to Fan Expo 2014 in Toronto, ON, Canada on Aug 30, and snapped a picture of a full size R2D2 on a full size set. Gotta' tell you Wiz, yours looks much better and more real looking than the real thing.
    106807.jpg
    r2.jpg 281.2K
    Thanks again guys, and that's a nice R2 in that shot mate, started to collate pieces for my own real build and one day may actually start one. Although if it turns out my renders are better may not bother ;)
    Tralfaz wrote: »
    Went to Fan Expo 2014 in Toronto, ON, Canada on Aug 30, and snapped a picture of a full size R2D2 on a full size set. Gotta' tell you Wiz, yours looks much better and more real looking than the real thing.

Theirs looks more plastic, especially the dome. It looks more like bare metal in the films, especially in the original trilogy. Though, other than that, it's a fantastic model. :)
    Yeah its a styrene dome by the looks of it.
  • Wow. It's really hard to tell this from a photo from the set. The lighting is really good. I can barely make out in the background some subtle giveaways... other than that it's perfect.
    Thanks George :)
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    Theirs looks more plastic, especially the dome. It looks more like bare metal in the films, especially in the original trilogy. Though, other than that, it's a fantastic model. :)
    I think the real models were wood.

Lovin' the R2 Paul!
    I think the real models were wood.

It could be. I don't know what they were made out of. I just know the dome looked more like metal. Even if it was wood, they could have formed some sheet metal around it. Or they just did a better job of painting it. ;)

The one in the photo Tralfaz posted looks more like the prequel trilogy version. But, that may have been the look they were going for.
    There were several versions for the original trilogy both wood and aluminium builds :)
  • ChrisGFXChrisGFX362 GermanyPosts: 607Member
    your Artoo rocks!
    Thanks matey :)

And coming soon to a Retro scene near you R2-C64 ;)
  • ChrisGFXChrisGFX362 GermanyPosts: 607Member
    C64? :D
    Wiz wrote: »
    And coming soon to a Retro scene near you R2-C64 ;)

I can't get something like this out of my head:

C64_Robot.jpg

(though, the placement of the controller is a bit disturbing)
    106934.jpg
  • F1Racer_RRF1Racer_RR0 Posts: 0Member
    Amazing model wiz, very nice work !
    Thanks F1Racer_RR :)

And yeah I have been asked to do a retro C64 version of Artoo, but mad busy at the moment with other projects so may be a little while yet.
  • jessepitcherjessepitcher0 Posts: 0Member
    Just an outstanding job, Wiz. How did you do the dirt and grunge on him, is it uv'd and painted flat or is it projected/3d painting? And is your blue material a trade secret, or are you willing to train others in your Kung-fu? Either way, this is a fantastic job, mate.

P.S. This may sound weird but your floors are awesome. I don't know how you do them but they kill me every time.
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    P.S. This may sound weird but your floors are awesome. I don't know how you do them but they kill me every time.
    he really needs to put up those "CAUTION: WET FLOOR" signs. Liability issues, etc...
    Arggh, in the middle of doing a breakdown and my bloody pc (at the studio) crashed when I plugged in my iphone to get some images I that would help explain.

@Homer; Shat it! ;)

OK lets try again; R2 is uv'd and painted on flat textures. The blue paint has been an ever ongoing romance with Mental Ray and now iray. Currently its base is the default car paint material with varying roughness levels across diffuse, gloss and reflection.

It has Candy blue in gloss, very dark an almost black blue in diffuse and white in reflection (each with its own level of roughness).

It is also is a Blend material so I can have a layer of metal underneath which I use a scratch mask to expose :)

I recently updated the shaders after seeing them in action in test animation (See attached image :)).
    107722.JPG
    Dude, your materials are always fantastic. You do that metal dome better than most I've seen. Way better than what they have on Rebels. :)
    Let's see the test animation!!!!!
    It's just a quickie, to test shaders, but here you go :)
    Nice. I really like the dome rotation. :)