Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Practical3D Printing

madman1701amadman1701a339 Posts: 366Member
edited April 2015 in Work in Progress #1
Hey guys, it's been a while since I posted anything here. :)

About 5 months ago, I got a Flashforge 3D printer, which is basically a clone of the original open source Makerbot Replicator.

I've converted several of my models over, and printed them. Recently, I've started painting them and finishing them, too. The first real model I did was my Prime Alternative Enterprise model:

3DPrint_Ent1.jpg

3DPrint_Ent5.jpg

I also did my STXI Reliant model, but I haven't painted it yet:

3DPrint_REL2.jpg

3DPrint_REL3.jpg

Batman:

3D_Bat1.jpg

Prometheus, from Stargate SG-1. Primed, but not finished painting:

3D_Prom4.jpg

3D_Prom5.jpg

The Eighth Doctor's Sonic Screwdriver:

3D_Sonic6.jpg

And finally, my Assault Phaser from Star Trek VI. Just printed out the other night, and ready for assembly:

3D_AssaultPhaser002.jpg

All of the models are mine, except for Batman. I downloaded that one from Makerbot's Thingiverse.

More updates later. I've got a Kelvin phaser planned, and I want to do a Tricorder. What do y'all think?

-Ricky
108520.jpg
Post edited by madman1701a on
Tagged:

• BlobVanDamBlobVanDam0 Posts: 0Member
    Those prints turned out great! I'm surprised how well they paint up too. Good job on that. How big are these models? It's a bit hard to judge just based on the printer.
  • BorgManBorgMan209 DutchlandPosts: 581Member
    Those are some nice prints indeed! Did you do anything in post production to let the paint stick better? I notice the print grid in the phaser's back, but it is absent on the bottom. Did you smooth it out or something?
  • JennyJenny2 Posts: 0Member
    I was going to ask the same question about the print lines... do you sand them down?
  • madman1701amadman1701a339 Posts: 366Member
    Thanks guys. :)
    BlobVanDam wrote: »
    Those prints turned out great! I'm surprised how well they paint up too. Good job on that. How big are these models? It's a bit hard to judge just based on the printer.

Enterprise and Reliant are about 11 inches long. The largest object I can reliably print is 6x6x6 inches, so I have to cut everything up into smaller parts. If a part is longer than 6 inches, I can get some curling on the edges of the part.
    BorgMan wrote: »
    Those are some nice prints indeed! Did you do anything in post production to let the paint stick better? I notice the print grid in the phaser's back, but it is absent on the bottom. Did you smooth it out or something?

:) Yeah, after they come out of the printer, I sand them, and then hit them with primer; that seems to work pretty well. Depending on the orientation of the part, I do end up with support material like you mentioned on the phaser. It's pretty easy to trim and sand off, though.
    Jenny wrote: »
    I was going to ask the same question about the print lines... do you sand them down?

Yep, not too much, though. I like being able to see some of the layers if you look close. That way, even after it's finished, you can still tell that it's 3D Printed. :)

Updates on the phaser later... I got the gaps filled, and sanding finished. Plan is to hit it with Primer tonight. :)

-Ricky
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Sweet stuff. It's cool to see some of your excellent CG models out in the real world. The prints definitely look great. :)
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    lucky you with a 3d printer, this is awesome. even luckier you for managing to get such good results.

Got the phaser done. :) I think it turned out well.

I went with more of a TOS color scheme on it, and I think it looks sharp. I felt like the real one was a little too dark.

3D_AssaultPhaser004.jpg

And here it is compared to the Art Asylum TOS Phaser...

3D_AssaultPhaser005.jpg

What do you guys think?

-Ricky
    106855.jpg
    Great call on the paint scheme. It makes it easier to see the details. :)
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann629 Posts: 1,284Member
    Oh baby. I like that updated Reliant, and I've always dug that militarized Phaser design. Are you able to hold it in your hand?
  • JennyJenny2 Posts: 0Member
    I think it's not good enough for a "hero" prop, but for some mook in a red shirt standing in the back of a group shot? Fine.
  • DCBDCB331 Posts: 0Member
    You might want to look into acetone vapour baths for getting a smoother finish. Hot baths are kind of crazy dangerous, but you can do cold baths as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2lm6FuaAWI

As I'm working on more of these, my parts should get more and more refined. I'm also trying to re-learn how to paint stuff like this, and get my workflow worked out.

I've looked into vapor baths... like you said, kind of dangerous. :) I'm using sandpaper and plastic model putty right now, which works OK.

More stuff later. :)

-Ricky
  • Chris2005Chris2005678 Posts: 3,097Member
    Amazing!
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC 12GB
    1TB NVMe SSD, 2 x 1GB SATA SSD, 4TB external HDD
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
    Thanks. :)

Hey guys, more stuff tonight. :)

I got most of the parts built for Valiant, and assembled. I think it turned out pretty well. :)

3D_Val1.jpg

3D_Val2.jpg

3D_Val3.jpg

3D_Val4.jpg

Also, I was playing around the other day, and made some comm badges. I was watching TNG on Bluray, and never noticed that the TNG comm badges delta shape wasn't the same shape as the TOS delta. I thought it was weird that I had never noticed, so I had to make some. :)

3D_Comm1.jpg

What do you guys think?

-Ricky
    The quad looks gorgeous, I'm so jealous you got that.

And yeah, I noticed the difference in the commbadge design, it's one of those things where once you notice it, you can't stop noticing it.
    Nice prints on the ship model and badges. :)
    Also, I was playing around the other day, and made some comm badges. I was watching TNG on Bluray, and never noticed that the TNG comm badges delta shape wasn't the same shape as the TOS delta. I thought it was weird that I had never noticed, so I had to make some. :)

You never noticed that? Seriously? Sorry, but I think we may have to confiscate your Trekkie membership card for that one. :p
    The quad looks gorgeous, I'm so jealous you got that.

And yeah, I noticed the difference in the commbadge design, it's one of those things where once you notice it, you can't stop noticing it.

Thanks. :) I am taking build requests, so PM me if you want one.
    Nice prints on the ship model and badges. :)
    You never noticed that? Seriously? Sorry, but I think we may have to confiscate your Trekkie membership card for that one. :p

Thanks. :) Yeah, yeah, I only got the card in a box of Froot Loops anyway. :D I don't know why I never did, I always though it was the same asymmetrical shape as the other deltas. I wonder if there is a behind the scenes where they talk about it somewhere. :)

More pics when I primer the Valiant. I need to get primer on Reliant soon, too.

-Ricky
    Yeah, the chevron changed slightly over the years through the different series and movies.
    Thanks. :) Yeah, yeah, I only got the card in a box of Froot Loops anyway. :D

Mine was in a box of Frosted Flakes. :lol:
    Thanks. :) I am taking build requests, so PM me if you want one.

Oh, if I had a 3D model of my Excalibur...
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Very cool work on that model of the Valiant, good clean 3d printed fun.

:)
    Oh, if I had a 3D model of my Excalibur...

I'm not familiar with the Excalibur... I tried to do a search, but couldn't find it. Got pictures? :)

-Ricky
    It was a design I threw together a while ago on my own thread that I quite like... I'll need to draw the underside. In my head I pictured something more advanced and sleeker than just an Excelsior-type ship, more of a Syd Mead take on the Federation design. And naturally, i wanted it to look a little like a sword.

excal-and-trident_edited-1.jpg
  • Hunter GHunter G1905 Posts: 543Member
    These look great! Man I wish I had a 3D printer.
    Hey guys, I'm back.

Been working on this guy... It's done, except for a little paint touch up, and the gloss coat.

3D_CONST_WIP_001.jpg

3D_CONST_WIP_002.jpg

It's my biggest model yet... right at 13 inches.

What do you guys think?

-Ricky
    Can I tell you the truth If you showed me that bottom picture without context, I wouldn't be sure which was the 3D printed ship and which was the store-bought ship.
  • ST-OneST-One188 Posts: 293Member
    It's my biggest model yet... right at 13 inches.

What do you guys think?

-Ricky

The model looks good, but tbh the paint-job looks ... less than good.
    Thanks, guys.
    Can I tell you the truth If you showed me that bottom picture without context, I wouldn't be sure which was the 3D printed ship and which was the store-bought ship.

Thanks. :) They are both 3D printed though... the Enterprise there was the first ship model that I printed out.
    ST-One wrote: »
    The model looks good, but tbh the paint-job looks ... less than good.

Fair enough. I have several places to touch up still, before I put the clear coat on it. I was going for a grungy weathered look, but a lot of that will be toned down after the clear goes on. Still practicing. :)

More later on... I have a couple of more models that I've got queued up for the printer.

-Ricky
    That's really sweet. I've always liked your Constellation design. I think it looks better than the one they call Enterprise from the newer films.
  • Capt. Eric GardnerCapt. Eric Gardner339 Posts: 109Member
    I love models. Do you do any requests?
    I love models. Do you do any requests?

Definitely. :) That's something I'm wanting to get in to. Send me a PM if you have something in mind. :)

-Ricky