Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DLearning Blender

167891012»

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    It's looking awesome. I can't wait to see the animation. :D
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972321 Posts: 1,202Member
    Fantastic. Seems like you have everything pretty much perfect.

Those nacelles really are a pain. I was trying to model some yesterday. Even using your animation of the build you did it's still a struggle. Such awkward flamin' shapes. It's gonna take a few goes, I think.
  • madman1701amadman1701a339 Posts: 366Member
    Looks perfect!

-Ricky
  • GestaltGestalt187 Posts: 166Member
    So my plan was to wrap up my biggest render job ever and unveil an animation featuring the refit Constitution this weekend.

Last weekend I put the finishing touches on the closing segment of the project and did the final tweaks to the model. I then spent a week devoting every spare cycle of every computer I own or could borrow to output the frames I needed. To my absolute horror, when I tried sequencing the collected EXR files I discovered that somewhere around 22% progress some of my render stations started generating bad output.

I initially started rendering on a single system and gradually expanded out from there. Apparently the copy I fed my improvised farm after the start of rendering had some major defects in the output settings. I have no idea how it happened but I have been spot checking my output from the latest mass render attempt and everything seems to be back on target.

Expect more soon!
    There's still work to be done to tweak interiors, the shuttle bay, and I'm sure a host of other adjustments but for this one project I think she's finally ready to fly.

You'll find her in the finished work thread here.
  • StarriggerStarrigger475 Posts: 698Member
    This is by far my favorite Trek ship, your tribute was moving.
    Come on over to my place CGI Worlds
  • TallguyTallguy350 Posts: 467Member
    Excellent job. So I noticed that the shading on the surfaces "wiggles". Is this an artifact of rendering in cycles?
    Bill "Tallguy" Thomas All I ask is a tall ship...
    Various Work: U.S.S. Constellation - Matt Jefferies Concept Shuttle
  • BlobVanDamBlobVanDam0 Posts: 0Member
    I think what you're referring to is just an artifact of Youtube's crappy compression.
    Tallguy wrote: »
    Excellent job. So I noticed that the shading on the surfaces "wiggles". Is this an artifact of rendering in cycles?
    BlobVanDam wrote: »
    I think what you're referring to is just an artifact of Youtube's crappy compression.

Or, it could be both. I get weird artifacts like that sometimes using Lightwave's Radiosity for animation renders. Radiosity is the equivalent of Cycles, both of which require more calculations than "normal" rendering. More calculations can mean more artifacts. Though, the compression probably doesn't help.
    While Cycles has it's drawbacks, this distortion isn't one of them. The raw output is smooth as glass or as nearly as 25-fps will provide.

If you're seeing a lot of irregular distortions as the picture moves, I think it's YouTube's encoding/resizing. It's least bothersome in the native 1080p but still subtly present. The best viewing so far has been on a home entertainment center. It's quite spectacular streamed to the YouTube app.

I'll see if I can get better results with another provider.
    Vimeo is a good service, but they'll limit you to 720p HD. Or, at least, the free service is that way. But, at least it uses .mp4 with the the x264 codec, not that crappy flash format that YouTube uses. So, I still think Vimeo's HD looks better than YouTube's. (just my opinion)
    Vimeo seems to be a bit less garbled at the periphery of the model, though not perfect either.

https://vimeo.com/127555670

Does this look any better?