Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

USS PACIFICA help needed

SATRSATR256 Posts: 412Member
edited July 2014 in Looking for... #1
Hi, this is my first post. I cannot draw, design, or use a computer properley. I love Star Trek Ship design, and had ideas for new ships, and have commissioned others with the ability to turn my ideas and basic sketches into a real image. The following image, is my latest ship, USS Pacifica, an NX prototype for Star Fleet Naval. I was inspired from the Voyager episode Thirty Days when Tom Paris said he wanted to join Starfleet naval. My ship, patrols earths oceans and coastlines, and deep sea exploration on earth as well as other planets. It has retractable nacells for when submerged in water, and when in combat in space. I have a friend who is currently writing a Star Trek novel, revolving around this ship and its mission. I am looking to get a model made of the ship, but need a 3d image of the ship done, in various angles. Can anyone help?
106210.jpg
Post edited by SATR on
Tagged:

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    This is actually your second post. You posted this exact same post in the non-paid work forum also. So, which is it, paid or non-paid?
  • SATRSATR256 Posts: 412Member
    either as no one commented on the other page
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    cool idea, though it would be mighty hard to engineer such a ship.
  • indianna500indianna5003 Posts: 0Member
    I am guessing you would be expecting a High-Rez Film quality model?, fully textured with all the Maps properly applied?, maybe even a few hours post production on the still image in photoshop?, ( you surely cant be expecting animated footage of the design?) and as by your own admission you have no computer knowledge you will expect the computer does all the hard work?.

Sorry if you find my reply slightly uncomfortable but if you`ve already posted this in the unpaid work section thinking the artists on here would be falling over themselves to do this for nothing I am guessing you`re the kind of poster who presumes Aï¿¡100/$200 would be more than enough to pay for a CG asset of this kind?. If this was the case and they were that easy and quick to build then VFX costs would not be the massive chunk of a films budget they are and we would be getting a new Toy Story/Transformers film every week.

To do this professionally, like anything worthwhile, takes time. I am sure you`ll probably snag some unsuspecting student to do this for you for peanuts. as seems to be the case with most adverts like these I track, so to the students or new freelancers reading this may I say without being paid properly for the job you automatically create a bad working practice for yourself and for the countless others out there trying to make a living doing freelance. You also encourage an attitude amongst people looking for art or design that it somehow should be free, its not "real" work and as a result they are well within their rights to treat it as such, they love your work, yes they will do, but somehow they dont love it enough to actually PAY for it.

You couldnt pull this kind of **** with any other professional so dont let them try and pull it with you.

To you the "client" I also say I can guarantee you if you dont offer a fair price for this you will be disappointed with the results, and if youre serious about getting it done right you will be back here in a month or two running the same advert but wiser to the fact you get what you pay for. Its a universal fact.

Now, all that being said if you have access to bricklaying skills my driveway needs doing so in the spirit of trade, you scratch my back, i`ll do yours?.

;-)
    i am only looking for a very basic 3d image to be done so it can be uploaded to Shapeways for a small model to be made. i am not looking for anything detailed, intricate or fancy, just a smooth plain looking design
    So what are you prepared to pay for this?, bearing in mind the cost of the actual shapeways print would not be included in this price.
    The Hull would be bulky enough not to have any issues with the print, your nacelles would probably need to have a more beefed up connecting "wing" as wall thickness is critical the way Shapeways operate.

Were you thinking of it as a hollowed out print to save material and cost, as an all in one or in pieces to be glued together?, how big, in cm were you thinking?. These a things you`ll be asked by whoever does it. if it were me it would have a bearing on how much time it would take and as a result the cost.
    as i have never done this before, and all new to me, i have no idea of cost, so i would say approx Aï¿¡60
    To put that into perspective an unskilled shelf stacker at any supermarket probably makes that in a day. I weep for the world of freelancers.

Good luck Im sure you`ll find someone who`s prepared to work for that little, I can`t.. My advice would be to do a bit more research yourself and be very specific about what you want so the person can get it done quickly and possibly break even.
  • lennier1lennier1913 Posts: 1,280Member
    He doesn't exactly win any points for diplomacy, but he's right nonetheless.

In most cases that doesn't even cover an hour's worth of work.
    lennier1 wrote: »
    He doesn't exactly win any points for diplomacy, but he's right nonetheless.

In most cases that doesn't even cover an hour's worth of work.

Unfortunately ive found diplomacy misses the mark most of the time and you have to communicate the issue directly, and in a manner that anyone, even those with no experience of hiring a freelancer, can understand.

I`ve got bills to pay just like everyone else and its work, regardless of how much "fun" people who dont do it seem to think it is, ive grafted hard to get qualified, I`ve run up debts studying and Im damned if i am going to give my skills away for next to nothing, if this offends people then im sorry you`re offended but may I suggest you try this "I pay nothing " approach the next time you fill your car up or go out for a meal. I would be interested in hearing how far you get before the cops throw you in jail. ;-)
    I understand what you're saying and this is subject I've become more aware of through necessity lately; charging for work you're doing. However, you make it sound like only freelance artists would take this job. A large number of people who frequent this site aren't even professional artists. There's a possibility somebody who has another job entirely might take the job just to help out this person and to make a little extra money on top of their salary. A person doing that probably wouldn't charge industry rates.

Having said that, I have to agree that isn't a lot of money. I'm not sure what the conversion rate is to American $$, but I know it's not that much. Even people who don't do this stuff for a living might weigh that amount of money VS the amount of time and work required to make that ship and decide it's not worth it. I know you don't know anything about this stuff, but your ship has a number of complex shapes that take a lot more time to get done than some other designs will. I know you're probably offering what you can afford, but it's not a lot for the work involved.

I'm trying to keep it real and help, if I can. I can't help by actually building the thing. Even if I wanted to work for that little, I'm eyeballs deep in a project right now. However, I can attempt to offer advice.
    i have easily found an artist doing this work for me at my specified price
    Im hoping you get what you pay for and youre happy.
    Feel free to show us both your commisions when theyre done. I would be very interested to see what you get for yhat price.
    these are the very first images, WIP of my ship being done in 3d
    Why the double post? Was there something wrong with including the text in the post with the images?
    does it matter? and yes, there was a problem!
    and why has there been so much negativity on my thread since day 1, jeees
    Look, I don't know why that Indiana person has a bug up his/her butt about you offering low wages for work or why he/she even cares, since he/she clearly wasn't taking the job.

However, to answer your other question, yes it matters, because it's against posting policies on the forum and most forums to double post like that for no good reason. I know, it's not clearly stated, but that's beside the point. Now, you've done it twice. There's a nice "Edit Post" button on the bottom of all of your posts so that you can go back and add further thoughts, or whatever, without adding a completely new post. (I'm using it right now) Now, if you think that's negative, it's not intended to be. You're new here and I'm simply explaining how the forum works and what the rules are, written and unwritten.
    @evil_genius_180 It usually happens when people undervalue what others do for a living. Would you do your job for a tiny fee for a complete stranger?

also I can assure you my ass is bug free.

@SATR My last advice, take it or leave it, is you`re going to need to print this as a solid if its not of a certain size. The areas where your nacelles/engines are attached will probably need thickening as well, to support the weight of said engines or to be thick enough to be attached as seperate parts. Shapeways will test the mesh for a minimum wall thickness if its to be a hollowed out version. They will push for this if you go above a certain size to save material and cost to you.

It looks competent enough so chances are the guy/gal knows what he or she is doing. From experience when you check you work on Shapeways they always throw back a few niggles that need addressing before its cleared to print

Extra time that I hope the artist has taken into account on this low a fee.
    @evil_genius_180 It usually happens when people undervalue what others do for a living. Would you do your job for a tiny fee for a complete stranger?

Unfortunately, it happens all the time. I have a friend who does professional physical model builds on commission and his work has been suffering of late due to people doing the same kind of work, but not necessarily to the same level, for cheaper. Unfortunately, not everybody is wanting or needing professional level work, so they're fine not paying for or getting that level of work. And, I guess some people are fine getting paid anything, as long as they get paid to do it. As I said in an earlier post, they're probably people who have other jobs and do this kind of work as a hobby. Or, they've been out of work so long that getting paid anything is better than getting paid nothing.

And, no, I wouldn't take one of those jobs and I usually don't even comment on these types of threads where people offer low fees or no fees.
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    you can also delete the second of your double post, just use "edit post" and choose the delete option, time in a reason i don't know if that "reason" field is ever stored but it's there anyway. i notice you are in sketchup, the selection of styles your images are shown in give that away, so you need to make sure that before attempting printing all your faces have their normals pointing out(view the model with Materials in monochrome mode, if you see blue/grey faces those faces are the wrong way round.)and you must avoid intersections, such as were the pylons from the nacelles enter the hull. you can be sure there are no intersections if you place all the geometry in a group and when you select that group afterwards it says "solid group" under the edit menu.
  • LonewriterLonewriter236 Posts: 1,078Member
    I had a ship built and it cost me a lot. Remember, you get what you pay for. As for the negative post, I got them when I posted my ad even though they had no idea what I was willing to pay. Some people are just pricks. Ignore them.
    In this case we knew what he was willing to pay and its $60 not pounds. So that makes me an informed Prick.