Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

AnimationBattlestar Apocalypse: The Battle Begins V5.0

RandalRRandalR0 Posts: 0Member
edited May 2014 in Work in Progress #1
On the Baseship. I did what I could on the materials, trying to get the diffuse issue to work.
It may not be how you intended this model to look, and it is not how I originally thought that it should look, but,
It does have more of a metallic like look. Silvery like, and I may Pull in some of the TOS Base ships also.
--Still Thinking on what's next......-

Tried Improving flames somewhat... increasing particles-sparks,embers and flames. Sizing down flames (pyro).
I don't think it really improved it much.

I got most everything back up to snuff. Some minor things in a few clips. Added I think 2 more scenes that need
more attention. Close enough to start adding more scenes/shots. Also Included rest of the music track and part of
the next track...if I go that far....:D

"SIGH' DEEP Breath" I got a lot of time into this, may as well go All The Way !!!!!

I just wished I could do some Hollywood! :D lol

[video=vimeo;96031003]

https://vimeo.com/96031003

How is it looking?
105942.png
Post edited by RandalR on

• spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    it's looking great but i would mention that in many of the shots the raider's engines do not look bright enough, make them glow more and a little bit more white. nice to see a cockpit shot but i think the actaul modelling ad texturing of the cockpit needs some work done on it. the battlestar doesn't look as good in the long range shots but can't tell why, try tweaking some settings with trial and error and sooner or later it should look better.

p.s. i can't tell which but with a video of this length containing all the new stuff you must have dumped some of your old scenes, some of them were rather good and ought to go back in. some of the early scenes you made for this may need quality improvements but the events they depicted and camera angles they used are well worth putting back in.
  • RandalRRandalR0 Posts: 0Member
    The rdr eng are at 400 % with just a Parallel SpotLight, But it could use another lil Light to flare with maybe...:D
    I do not know of any way to improve it without redoing it...
    Wished I knew more bout VFX-Filters and Post Efx... I am near 50 now,
    so I do not have a lot of time for learning lol. So I make it while I can.

The Cockpit is a mish mash of parts I have scavenged, not of the model. I have used many Animated-textures in it.
    I actually re did the main dash on this with just hud circles. The mesh is skewed it is almost impossible to actually use it.
    (unless a spherical projection, is still skewed)
    It really need to be rebuilt, Am not that keen on modeling. Eventually I will have to fix it.

The Battlestar has been plaguing me, It looks absolutely great in Lighting setup in Previews, then after render in Sony Vegas and upload, it loses it. Some of the early ones did look better I think also.
    But, I usually render over the replacing sequence, so it automatically updates in the Video Editor , Less I want to keep the old.
    A few I did, will look thru to see what I still have.

Damn there is so much more to make and still am trying to fix things, make it look better, and often, that backfires...
    When I can, will try and improve them, which like you, I am unsure why also. Play with lights,Motion Blur, DOF.
    Maybe I should try those shots by layering out in a multipass and re comp in AE.

Also, The trick that enabled DOF and MB does not work, cannot get them to work together again.
    So, Actually those that require both should be rendered in layer passes.Unsure if I will do this.
    ---Well, I prolly will just to try it out--

Appreciate input- Number 5 needs Input !!

Randal R.
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    in the cockpit the images on the displays are not the problem, the issue is the lack of a noticeable texture on the metal/plastic surround parts and the dark patches (rendering errors from bad geometry often, i've had them myself) of triangular shape on certain curved areas.

for the raider engines use the same sort of setup as inside the viper engines, after all the cylons were constructed by humans originally so why would they have a radically different engine design, a more efficient on probably but the same principle of operation.

one more tip is, try doing more of the work within your 3d app. that way where lights point and what blur applies to can be more easily controlled than in a video editor afterwards. the 3d program should let you set glares from particular things and use what i do in blender which is setting anything above a threshold brightness level to create a lens flare, it should also allow you to specify exact focal ranges and what to blur, where the video editor can only guess at what is bright, what is fast moving and how far away elements of the scene are. i'm guessing that vegas lets you select regions of the frame to apply effects to but that is much harder work than letting the 3d program take care of it all during the render process. try setting your program to it's default rendering method/settings/state and then only modify a few of those settings leaving most of the rendering effects to modifying materials on the various objects.