Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

AnimationBattlestar Apocalypse: The Battle Begins V4.0

RandalRRandalR0 Posts: 0Member
edited May 2014 in Work in Progress #1
:=: FYEO:=:

Updated Video. The Video is my storyboard. Also, I need to upload to see how it looks also.
For some reason, my previews in C4d, then in Sony Vegas, are not what comes out.
But when uploaded, the differences are more apparent.

Have re-rendered almost every clip, added some things,removing the blue, etc.
Am thinking of jumping in 2 more Basestars and maybe using TOS
Baseship-Attackstar also. Also a possibility is adding 1 or 2 more Battlestars.
thinking of some more dialogue also. The Video is my Storyboard.
still arming the Basestar. Need a lil time off from this. And a lot more time to make it.

I have seen this so much, I could use others perspectives.

Video will be available shortly.

[video=vimeo;95407900]

Tips,Suggestions,Corrections, sound off like you got a pair!
-- after seeing it, I do not believe I need to re render some more, the lighting seems to have
altered with out permission.

"Cylons are not what you thought they were"

Regards,

Randal R.
105877.png
Post edited by RandalR on

• spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    well done o n getting the video to come out sharper, only 1 problem there, i think it has somewhat spoiled the viper engine effect, they looked better when there was glow form all over the insides of the nozzle rather than just at the centre and round the edges. overall though video quality improvement is very helpful.

01:36, really nice blobs of flame effect. the great camera motion at 02:23 is now vastly better, good to see the stuttering motion gone. i also notice you say one of your clips is being reconstructed, is this to improve the hull textures in it? noticed the hull being lit up by flashes from offscreen explosions in the clip around 03:20, good use of lighting to imply what cannot be seen directly in the shot. would be good to have some extra battlestars and basestars, although they will mean you need to either really alter this video or bring them in later, but i would suggest keeping away from the TOS designs. another tip is try having more shots where you have a part of the battlestar in shot whilst the main action is further away, like the clip behind some of the credits, it's a rather effective composition. noticed you had credited me, you needn't have but thanks anyway.
  • SaquistSaquist1 Posts: 0Member
    Criticisms

-The Apocalypse roll in the beginning was cheesy. (That's a word that should come out of the shadows or bathed in fire.)
    -The Story boarding was well planned. The camera effects competent and original. The ship choreography wasn't repetitive or boring.
    -Lighting may have been a bit too hot
    -Viper movements were convincing.
    -Base Star Model didn't look right
    -Details on Vipers and Battlestar extremely accurate
    -Music overture was competent and seamless.
    -Voice Selections was equally seamless and convincing rather than awkward and amateur.
    -Weapons fire was not the right color.
    -Probably could use some in-cockpit shots to jazz up the action.

8/10
    All in all Pretty Good.
    It may lack the wow factor that makes professional work pop but it's nothing to shake a stick at. You've clearly mastered the fundamentals and have good taste in models (or you amazing 3D work yourself). I really would like to see this finished.
  • RandalRRandalR0 Posts: 0Member
    oh boy, thats good news,,, now the bad...

I have just discovered how to get Motion Blur AND Depth of Field to work together.
    or at least it happend by accident ...lol
    Before it always canceled each other out. In one pass.
    So, am going to try and redo some more of the clips to better DOF on them.

Also Am testing shots on the Base star firing, and Lighting is proving to be a bear.
    The base ship does not respond well to lights.Already re did the Raider launchers with new material.
    May have to adapt Basestar Materials.

I am also adding some Color Correction in C4d Filter. ( To which I really have no clue ) Just trial and error on this.
    May help some. I cannot really tell a difference, but IT looks like it affects the upload more so. Will stick with
    +4% Saturation
    +3% Brightness
    +4% contrast
    Taking out all atmosphere also.

I have also learned of TFD and X-Particles for C4d. I wished I had them now. And knew how to use em :D

Will add a new update when I get a lot of this I got on the Table now to do.

Thanks for those replies, Very Helpful.

Regards,

Randal R.
  • todaytoday0 Posts: 37Member
    I don't think the diffuse layer for the basestar imported correctly. It looks like diffuse is set to 0%, doesn't react to light at all. Only part I can make out are the glowy/luminous bits.

How exactly did you convert it to Cinema 4D? Could you post a screen grab of the texture window, I might be able to figure out what's going on.
    today wrote: »
    I don't think the diffuse layer for the basestar imported correctly. It looks like diffuse is set to 0%, doesn't react to light at all. Only part I can make out are the glowy/luminous bits.

How exactly did you convert it to Cinema 4D? Could you post a screen grab of the texture window, I might be able to figure out what's going on.

I'll try.

When Imported into C4d, I re-assign the material/image. I go thru each material that is assigned, and manually
    re-load every image or texture in all of the used channels.

So, each of the materials that has a Diffuse, I load up the Diffuse image. On this example, it shows the Diffuse
    is on, material on, and brightness 100%. And each are like this. Would it be the Image then that is the problem?
    It looks ok to me as long as it kept a distance. IF you have suggestiions on improvement, am all ears :D

I thought of Actually adding some hull like textures to it or at least some Bump with them.

And I have already done a Revamp of Intro Text with Flames, looks pretty good.

Thnx,

EDIT:

I tried a new scene and turned down the diffuse tp 20 % and it made an improvement I believe.
    Will begin Rendering a clip.
    105891.jpg105892.jpg
    Uploaded Again.... An Update.

No new scenes really, still working on Re render settings.

Aw, The New Intro Flaming Text is in! Feedback.
    There is a longer clip of flaming text in credits. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iH6Gxeh8wIY&feature=youtu.be
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    looks great, you seem to have managed to restore the old engine glow effect and your smoke effect is better. also noticed the zoom towards the battlestar after the cool "camera amongst the vipers" scene. i noticed you clip under reconstruction where you have the matrix bullet time effect, i think you should make sure that when this clip is redone the shards that the raider breaks into are not so clearly composed of it's major polygons, you might want to subdivide the raider mesh so it is composed of smaller triangles/quads and when it breaks make sure to along either a physical line of weakness in the design or , better, break it into loads of smaller parts. think the flames on your "apocalypse" text at both the titles and credits could be improved and the text might be better if it were less transparent and not such a similar colour to the background(try a metal texture on it, with just a little bit of rust and decay at the edges. then add flames taken straight from real video of flames and add some random flashes like explosions around it, as you did with the battlestar at 3:17 in the video).
  • todaytoday0 Posts: 37Member
    RandalR wrote: »
    I'll try.

When Imported into C4d, I re-assign the material/image. I go thru each material that is assigned, and manually
    re-load every image or texture in all of the used channels.

So, each of the materials that has a Diffuse, I load up the Diffuse image. On this example, it shows the Diffuse
    is on, material on, and brightness 100%. And each are like this. Would it be the Image then that is the problem?
    It looks ok to me as long as it kept a distance. IF you have suggestiions on improvement, am all ears :D

I thought of Actually adding some hull like textures to it or at least some Bump with them.

And I have already done a Revamp of Intro Text with Flames, looks pretty good.

Thnx,

EDIT:

I tried a new scene and turned down the diffuse tp 20 % and it made an improvement I believe.
    Will begin Rendering a clip.

Yeah, you'll definitely need more than just the diffuse texture to get it to look right. I don't recall exactly how I originally set up the textures, but the hull was a bit dark with very dramatic specular highlights. It was lit by a large number of very bright lights, with very short falloffs that lit up certain areas near the main hull.

I can double check all of this, but not before this weekend.