Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

AnimationBattlestar Apocalypse V3.0 CG Short film C4d

RandalRRandalR0 Posts: 0Member
edited May 2014 in Work in Progress #1
Been full throttle and at least 2 months on this so far.

Still want to Re-Render several Clips. Improve Some of the explosions also.
Maybe improve lighting some more on more clips due to upload.
And get these 2 ships shooting each other. I have used no references.
( still got no clue as to how/where to arm and with what on the base ship yet- but if I have to shoot arrows, then it will be arrows lol)
There is no post done, all done in C4d.

Spent all week re rendering appx 8 clips. Adding more into scene in some.
Also improved the Titles/Credits.

Please, How am I doing so far?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yxCq8s4Etc

Vimeo will be up soon.

https://vimeo.com/94747475

[video=vimeo;94747475]

Randal R.
105833.jpg
Post edited by RandalR on

• TrekMDTrekMD192 Posts: 639Member
    Looks nice to me. My only comment is that space looks a bit too blue.
  • RandalRRandalR0 Posts: 0Member
    in many of the re rendered clips, I have turned down the Atmosphere, Brightened the stars a tad.
    also, the glints and reflexes been trying to edit to blend in scenes better. Requires complete re render too.

Thanks for pointing it out, will try and adjust most of the clips with less atmosphere as I
    try and tweak all and make new at the same time. I 'll get there. cuz I love my video :D

Regards,
  • StormcloudStormcloud2 Posts: 0Member
    yeah to blue - can make allowances for not entirely realistic lighting but space should be black - not a big fan of the ol nebula thing either - even if you were sitting on the edge of one you could barely see it they are so faint and those fantastic colours etc are the result of pointing large telescopes at them and recording the light over hours and the use of colour filters - anyway yeah make space black and that will solve the blue space black shadow problem too

the smoke trails aren't working - cant tell you how to sort it i not great at that sort of thing either but bound to be some tutorials online somewhere

the animation looks great though and camera work is not bad but i think you either need to go full handycam or steady cam though - being battlestar i would go full hand held with zooms etc but not much in the way of camera pans etc

love the gun fire - always sucked at getting realistic weapons fire in my shots
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    nice improvements to the title also good to have the new audio track around the point where the viper is hit but then turns to try and launch a final attack. order of some scenes seems altered but glad to see the shot with the close range pan across the vipers (now at 2:20) is still there(it still judders at 2:17, can't you smooth that out with a slightly higher frame rate, or marginally slower camera motion at that instant) and the bit after it with further motion is a great improvement over the cutting off of the clip as it was it the previous version. liking the smoky explosions at 2:50 ish, they might be improved by a quick very bright flash at the first moment in them but they are otherwise good to watch.

as for the base ship's weapons i think it should have guns like galactica's but a few times more powerful, i am not sure one was ever shown firing during the series and am utterly unsure where to put the weapons but if you only see the base ship at range you shouldn't need to worry about the exact design of turret(or other emitter). i notice you mention having atmosphere turned on in the rendering settings, what does this actually do for your render. is it causing problems by fading out the more distant objects or something, for depth effects you could instead use different depth of field in some shots.
    base ships used missiles in the series (reboot) not guns
  • todaytoday0 Posts: 37Member
    I have it on pretty good authority that there are in fact modeled missile turrets on that particular basestar :thumb:

Nice to see someone actually use it for something! Keep it up.

Edit:

Red circles = missile hardpoints
    blue circles = raider racks/docking bays
    105845.jpg105846.jpg
  • RandalRRandalR0 Posts: 0Member
    Some great Points. Some Am unsure of ( steady cam-hand cam).

Will have to look up 2:20.

Got to have smoke trails,,,, cant be a space battle without smoke trails < teasing>
    -- Not sure what else I can do other than omit them altogether. ATM,
    I am adding some lights,flares, that are brief to simulate material separating on the first Raider Explosion.

I am not really all that experienced and knowledgeable, and comments like these are very helpful, even if I do not acknowledge it.

I do remember someone asked me a question about the Flames, but I don't know who or where.
    -- I did not answer it or recall the question.

ALSO Breaking NEWS! lol

I have discovered a Media Efx in Sony Vegas, that converts Computer RGB to Studio RGB and it really looks like it made it
    look like a television show. How this will look rendered and uploaded, will find out when V4.0 is done.

Am re doing every scene to change the Atmosphere to 40%. The Atmosphere is a parameter in the Sky Object/Physical Sky.
    It looks good to me in preview on 70%, but when uploaded it does not compute well. I have not had a problem with it.

I did not use any depth of field or the DOF module, as I would have to do layer renders for every scene for each distance object I want to affect.
    Great for a still.
    C4d has a built in DOF with Camera Object Focus distance, but you cannot really adjust it
    ( tbh it does not seem to actually help when modifying focus distance)unless you use the DOF Module, which in turn will ruin my Sky.So I opted to not use it.
    Besides I got Vector Motion Blur on Everything...

Did I miss anything? Oh yeah also bumping Star Brightness 2%.

Well, with some comments like these, I think I will make a good video today, and a better one tomorrow.
    Appreciate it.... :D

Regards,

EDIT: Just got the IDea to make the smoke more like gas. Will work on this.
    I was think of a comet- and SHAZAM!
    i just ment that battlestar galactica was shot generally as if there was someone out there floating in space with a camera - complete with shakey footage and lots of zooms in and out rather than the camera moving on tracks/cranes and stablised like they do in a typical hollywood film - sorry not very good at explaining what i mean

your camera work seems to be a mixture of the 2 styles