Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

If I owned Star Trek...

uniderthuniderth1 Posts: 0Member
edited May 2014 in General Discussion #1
If I owned the Star Trek franchise these are the developments you would expect to see. These ideas aren't completely fleshed out yet but this is the basic idea.

Here are my concepts for future Star Trek series:

Valiant
A short series that depicts the first faster than light human voyage beyond the solar system. The first season would show the crew of the Valiant as a cargo ship just as the worst parts of World War 3 are happening. We would see the fall of earth that leaves the solar colonies stranded. Occasionally earth would be visited but things are pretty bad. The Solar Fleet would struggle to maintain control as the solar system quickly descends into lawlessness. It would have quite a wild west feel to it. The crew would be taking on odd jobs and trying to survive. Because as life in the Solar System is hard it is much preferable to life on Earth.

The second season would be a few years later with earth starting to recover. There would be more contact with earth and some great story potential about triumph over devastation.

The third season would be in 2065 as the Valiant is refitted with a warp engine. The crew count is upgrades to about eleven so there will be more character dynamics. This season we would see a couple episodes as the Valiant goes on a relief mission/maiden voyage to help the solar colonies. They are now officially representing earth and there will be some interesting stories as we see some of the crew's past actions catching up with them and they now have to be official. Also the solar colonies would really hate and distrust earth for leaving them stranded all these years. After a couple of these episodes and the maiden voyage is complete the Valiant will return to earth to resupply before finally setting off on mankind's first faster than light reach out to the stars. We would meet many near earth alien species for the first time. It would be pure strangeness and excitement in exploring these new worlds. There is no prime directive so we would even see some episodes with humans completely contaminating a society and the fallout from that. Because of the distance and speed of the Valiant we would also see some stories while they are mid voyage.

The fourth season would be more exploration and story arcs from the third season, finally culminating in the disaster that destroyed the valiant.

The first two season of this series would have sort of sort of a Firefly meets Jericho feel. The third and fourth would be more of a Firefly meets Defying Gravity.

Untitled
Set in the early 2000s. A possible miniseries that would show mankind's exploration to uncover the mystery of evidence of alien activity in the Solar System. It would feature Colonel Shaun Jeffrey Christofer commanding the Lewis and Clark in the first mission to Saturn. This series would be full of mystery and adventure. Imagine a better than Defying Gravity version of Defying Gravity. It would be really tempting to make this miniseries in the found footage format like Europa Report

Enterprise
This series would replace the existing Enterprise series. It would feature the S.S. Enterprise (ringship) commanded by Captain Jonathan Stiles. One of the great things about this series is that it would illustrate the difficult transition from humanity as it is today to the “enlightened” humanity of Kirk's era. It would examine all aspects of what it means to be us and our place in the universe but it would do this through the adventure stories we like to see. It would have to avoid getting preachy like the plague.

We would slowly see the build up to the Romulan War and the mysteries surrounding it. About mid series would be the Earth-Romulan Wars. However these would be depicted in three full length feature films. Or maybe perhaps a parallel with the films and the series. The last couple seasons would be the founding of the Federation. The series would be renamed “Star Trek: Enterprise” and the ship would become the U.S.S. Enterprise XCV-330.

Star Trek
This series would start with and movie of the same name which would replace the JJ Abrams film. We would see the launch of the U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701 under the command of Captain Robert April and it's first voyage. The first season would pick up after this and we would have five seasons of Captain April. Perhaps with a feature film in between each season to replace Trek Into Darkness. Then we would have a ten season set with Captain Pike.

Finally we would finish Kirk's mission with the first season finale being Where No Man Has Gone Before. We would add an episode to the second season of Kirk(currently the first season) to help transition. Then we would see the “second” season as depicted. The original special effects shots would be replaced with cgi that actually closely replicates the original effects rather than the crappy cgi we have in the Remastered Edition. There would be episodes added to the “third” and “fourth” seasons to make the episode numbers the same.

The fifth season would depict the Animated Series episodes in live action but with the set and costume updates to more closely match the look of Phase II.

For those characters that we have already seen before, cgi (like that in Tron: Legacy) would be used to replicate the original cast's faces. In conjunction with body doubles and matching voice actors.

Star Trek: Phase II
This would be set during Kirk's five year mission after The Motion Picture.

Star Trek: Destiny
Set in the 31st century or something close. We would see advanced technology, time travel, ships that are bigger in the inside. Think Star Trek version of Dr. Who.

Star Trek: Eternity
Set in about 3500. The Metrons have returned and are here to help aid mankind(which has now merged with many other species) in the transition to godhood. Technology would be on the level of Thor. Many humans would possess telepathic, telekinetic, and other powers. Starships, at least as we understand them, are obsolete. Travel to all galaxies in the universe is becoming a reality.

In this series we would get to see another inspiring story about what is means to be human. Similar to how Enterprise would have depicted the transition to advanced humans. I know most people think that technology becoming so advanced is a bad thing. But it is only a bad thing if you are framing your stories within a certain technological framework. These stories would have little use for technology and would mostly be interaction stories and clashes of beings with powers. These stories have been done successfully before. Think Thor and ancient mythology.
Post edited by uniderth on
Tagged:

• AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Okay.... Wow...

I like most of the ideas, specially Valiant, the 'Untitled' one, StarTrek, and Destiny.

The Valiant is something I'd be looking forward most eagerly. Though I doubt there'd be many offworld colonied prior to the war. Keep in mind, before that war, we had several nations, thus every colony would belong to some nation, and thus, if Earth goes to war, the colonies either join the war (Lunar colonies due to their proximity, and most like with Martian colonies, thus Mars would have its own global war), or cut their ties. Beyond that probably mining colonies on asteroids and moons. What I recommend is this about the "fate", at least as an influencing idea.

About the untitled series (somehow,for that miniseries, the name Into Darkness seems to match quite well), I like the idea, but it should be a very short one, probably ending with the Eugenian Wars or something. I'd also love to see an episode deal with that Nomad probe (TOS: The Changeling) and how it met Tan Ru...

About your idea of Enterprise... The story is good, but the ship..... I like the idea about incorporating the ringship at first, to show that the humans attempt to use Vulcan Ring-drive technology. But throughout the entire first season, you should hint at the idea that Cochrane, who saw the Enterprise-E and thus the 24th century version of warp-drive, tried to "rebuild" that, and thus designed the NX-Enterprise (but the refit-form of Doug Drexler, not that Akiraprise version). Then, during the second season, they could have the first test flight, taking them a bit too far, having a run-in with the Romulans, making them aware of eachother. Relations deteriorate and the third season is the actual War (keep in mind, the canonical Earth-Romulan War took place from 2156-2160). After the devastating Battle of Cheron, where both Empires lost their entire fleet (also the ringdrive Enterprise under Cpt. Stiles), the Earth representative Jonathan Archer negotiates a peace-treaty and the establishment of the Neutral Zone, with the Federation being founded soonafter. I'd end the series hinting at some ASDB-office showing the first concepts for a proto-Constitution class vessel.

As per the idea of StarTrek and ST: Phase II, nice idea, tho I think at some places, it would be a bit lengthy and tiring. I presume the remaining movies from TWOK to Undiscoverey Countryare set after Phase 2?

About Destiny (I'm not sure about the name, it reminds me too much to Stargate:Destiny, which was done horribly wrong), I like the general idea, but I'd let them at least be able to visit the neighbouring galaxies, showing the vast increase of technological advances. Maybe they peacefully joined with the Kelvans (or had a war with them that almost eradicated the Kelvan Empire), maybe even the Tholians, Excalbians, and Horta (all silicone-based lifeforms), or the Founders and the Sphere-Builders have joined the Federation, or at least be allies. Others who could have joined, or at least be more inclined to talk with are the Vians (TOS: The Empath) and their somewhat related Talosians (TOS: The Cage, and The TOS: Menagerie 1/2), the Cytherians if they are treated as corporeal (TNG: The Nth Degree), perhaps the "Providers" (TOS: Gamesters of Triskelion), or the Nacene (the Caretaker-species), perhaps even the Q, who begin to see the potential of humans. Advanced technology by that time may already be so superior that it may be perceived as mythical powers (like with Ardra in TNG: Devil's Due). Think about Clarkes Law (any sufficiently advanced technology may be perceived as godlike powers by less developed species). Probably in that era, some humans decided to join the Baku, realising that all this discovering may be all nice and dandy, but whatfor?
    Also, what about the Mintakans (TNG: Who watches the Watcher)? Maybe they begin to become warp-capable here... ;)

About Eternity, put it around the year 4000+. The Metron talked about 'several thousand years' in the future, when mankind would be civilised enough. Also, I'm not entirely sure about "only" the Metrons. Maybe set them up as Good side, then either invent a new race as the Bad Side, or take an existing one (like Vorlons and Shadows of Babylon 5). Most races at that time who are interested in the Federations progress might be the non-corporeal species, like the Thassians (TOS: Charlie X), Organians (TOS: Errand of Mercy), Zetarians (TOS: The Lights of Zetar), the Edo God (TNG: Justice), the Calamarain (TNG: Deja Q), Douwds (TNG: The Surviours), the species of The Traveller (TNG: Where no One has Gone before / Journey's End) and the Cytherians if they are treated as non-corporeals (TNG: The Nth Degree). Perhaps the Founders have become non-corporeal at that time (perhaps they're the Bad Side). Other species of interest could be the Paxan (TNG: Clues, their xenophobic nature could've overboiled and thus they could also represent the Bad Side), and Koinonians (TNG: The Bonding). The Zalkonians (TNG: Transfigurations), which we saw being on the verge of becoming non-corporeal, could also be a great thing. Other species we could encounter are The Greek Gods (TOS: Who Mourns for Adonais?), and since there are Greek Gods, perhaps some others as well... Tho this could easily turn into a Stargate-like Battle of panthenons.
    I think that that time, technology may stil be in use, but only rarely and as idle boredom.
    Latest by that era, the Mintakans would follow the Humans to the stars, maybe showing a few episodes or story-arcs from their view could help.

I see most issues with the last two as by that "time", any interesting story would be mostly through talking and less about action, as we see most of those "Gods" flick a finger (mostly like Q...), and half the universe is simply rearranged and changed accordingly. I know you mean explicitly that mankind of that era is somwhere near where the Zalkonians were in TNG, highly advanced and about to become non-corporeal. Depending on the individuality, I'd even presume that Vulcans would be closer to that, while Klingons would probably by that time have calmed down to a more humane level of aggression, while Humans may be as calm as Vulcans.

Just my few thoughts.
  • oldmangregoldmangreg198 Woodland Hills, CAPosts: 1,339Member
    Personally I would like to see a new Trek series, but not in the Prime Timeline (and for obvious reasons not the JJ-verse).

I had an idea that was based in the Cage Era, but with no Federation of Planets and no Enterprise (an alternate universe semi-reboot, but with no interactions with the Prime Universe).

An Alternate Universe where the familiar is presented differently...

The divergent point between the Prime Timeline and this would be First Contact. The first major difference that there is no Borg in this universe (mainly because we need a new enemy and there are so many damn theories on their origin, all which I cast aside because they are all fanon) and there is no visit from the Enterprise-E (to be explained). In the events leading up to humanity's first contact with an alien race, Zephram Cochrane would launch the Phoenix from Earth to meet up with his warp ship he designed during WWIII, the Bonaventure. He would make the first warp flight, setting his destination as Alpha Centari, but would rather miss it by a few (ha!) light years due to some miscalculations on his part. This would bring him into a first contact situation with a roaming Klingon ship. Although difficulties in the language barrier make communication impossible, the Klingons do learn of Earth. However, after study of Cochrane (who is suffering from the adverse effects of the end of WWIII), the Klingons decide that humanity is too weak to conquer and puts Cochrane back in the Bonaventure. He would return to Earth and tell everyone about his encounter, but no one would believe him. He would be branded as lunatic as no one believe he traveled faster than light and met aliens. Forced into exile, he would start going mad (most likely another side effect of WWIII) and disappear.

A few years later a woman named Samantha Yslonda would introduce warp travel to humanity (she was later found out to have stolen the original designs from Cochrane, but that was kept hidden from the public as warp travel would give humanity hope for the future). Humanity would go out into space and create new colonies. However, twenty years after Cochrane's warp flight the Klingons would return and attack humanity. Unable to defends themselves, humanity would spend the next century in slavery.

A century after the annexation of Earth, the Klingons would abandon them and humanity would be forced to scavenge to survive. In the year 2183 war between the Klingons and the Romulans would break out. Humans who had lost all hope would pick a side (mostly the Romulans) in hopes of food and shelter.

In the year 2255 (where the TV series/movies would start), a man named Robert April would dream of a better humanity, one that was enlightened and strove to better themselves and other races. He would seek to gather a crew to go out and find a way to bring humanity hope. After gathering a few of his friends, he would search for a ship to travel the stars. This would bring him to a ship junkyard operated by Christopher Pike. After some convincing, Pike gives him a partially completed star ship, one the bears a striking resemblance to the Constitution-class (although a bit more realistic looking). Pike refueses to go with them, saying he doen't want to be put in a situation where he loses lives (the Rigel VII incident takes place in this reality, although it was a human rebellion with the Klingons retaliating). It lacks a warp drive however, so Pike has one of his workers, James Tiberius Kirk, lead April to a nearby junkyard where old warp drive units are located (in this timeline, Kirk is older than Pike but is less experienced and more driven to find out if there is more to life). There they find the now elderly and insane Cochrane living a meager life. After installing warp drive on their ship, Kirk joins the crew and they set off into the unknown.

After seasons/movies with them meeting more races, coming into conflict with the Klingons, and making choices (good and bad) that would lead them to become more like the Prime versions of themselves, the series would end in a final film. The film would see the death of April and Kirk (giving their lives in some heroic attempt) and the destruction of their vessel. It would also see humanity working together with other races to build a future. a new Alliance of Planets would be formed, with Pike becoming its first president. The Andorians, Tellarites, and a few other new species would join. Because of actions made previously by April and humanity, the Romulans would also join the Alliance. This would also be the first steps in the unification of Vulcans and Romulans (Vulcans don't join the Alliance until the start of the 24th Century). A new Constitution-class II would be built, a bit more advance looking. Her captain would be Gary Mitchel and his first officer would be Number One (name unknown). The final scene would lead to the reveal of the ship's name, but then cut to black before it is revealed. This would leave the ship's name to be up the viewers imagination, but it would not be named Enterprise (there would never be a star ship to bear the name Enterprise in this timeline).

THEME:
    An ongoing theme would be humanity struggling to push past its flaws and become better. The idea of the series would be to bring back Gene Roddenberry's dream of a better future and expand upon it. The series would tie in to real world related issues and show a different path that we can and should take. It would also reintroduce us characters and races that are similar but different to what we know. Also, there would be no episodes or movies that would be retold in this timeline (just because you can doesn't mean you should).

Since it is possible characters and races that exist in the Prime Timeline exist here, it would be possible to create new stories. For example, the Botany Bay may still be around (if it hasn't been destroyed by a freak meteor storm or something). Kahn and his minions may wake up to find a better world than the one they left. This would provide two possible storylines:

1. Kahn would begin to build a new world with his gentic super family, leading to a 2nd Eugenics War with the new Alliance of Planets in a multi-episode (or season) arc.

or

2. Humanity would work to rectify the mistakes of their past and work to great peace with Kahn and his followers, offering them a place in their new Alliance.

Klingons would still be the main enemy up into the 24th Century, but there would be many attempts on both sides to create a peace.

OTHER:

One of another ideas I did have was of a miniseries covering the final days of the Valiant (mentioned in Where No Man Has Gone Before) with a dark tone would be cool, but I do like uniderth's idea a bit better.

Also one where humanity went extinct and the perspective took place from an alien point of view, but humans today would be too upstuck and arrogant for that one.

There is also one about the Soviet Union, where it didn't fall, conquered Earth, annexed the Romulans during the Earth-Romulan War, and continued expanding, but I think people might get upset about that one. :D
    Your right to an opinion does not make your opinion valid.
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Hm... Also a nice idea. A what-if concept..
    I've always been intrigued by such thoughts, another reason why I always loved Sliders. This may also be a fancy idea. Every two episodes, the hero/herogroup switches to another universe.
    This would open up a literally infinite cornucopia of possibilities....
    I don't even dare to begin writing down the masses of ideas that run through my head thinking about this..