Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Modifying a mesh

kkragenbrinkkkragenbrink0 Posts: 0Member
So I'm new to modifying meshes, and I feel like a complete tool for asking, but I'm working with Raul Mamoru's Nova Star Trek mesh (http://www.trekmeshes.ch/meshes/meshesdetails.php?Name=NOVA). I've figured out how to do quite a bit with positioning, placing additional objects, lighting, and cameras; what I can't figure out is how to modify the mesh itself. For likely obvious reasons, I'd like to change the registry and name on the ship to make it my own. Can anyone give me some tips on this?
Post edited by kkragenbrink on

• spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    ok, there are some crucial questions we need answers to if we are to help you, or suggest how you could help yourself, on this.
    1. what software are you modifying it with
    2. is the number you want to change modelled geometrically or simply "painted" on with a texture

also note that your link does not work.
    welcome to the forum.
  • kkragenbrinkkkragenbrink0 Posts: 0Member
    Hey, I'm dumb, I thought I had put that in there. I currently have both a trial version of Lightwave, as well as a full version of 3ds Max 2014 available to me. I also have photoshop, which can open .obj files, but somehow I'm thinking that's not the best approach, here.

Near as I can tell, it's modeled geometrically. I was able to remove some of the lettering by switching to edit vertices mode. Doing so, however, seemed to remove the text as well as the physical features of the other side of the model; I'm not sure why. This of course means I can't simply remove the text and add it back in in post-editing. I'm a little confused.

As for the link not working, apparently trekmeshes.ch doesn't allow direct linking. I wasn't aware of that. It's a bit of a pain to search for. If you're eager, though, you can go to http://www.trekmeshes.ch > Download Meshes > "I agree" > then search for the word "Nova" down at the bottom. The only one that comes up (right now) is the mesh I am working with, titled Nova class U.S.S. Equinox.

Thanks for the help.
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member

Near as I can tell, it's modeled geometrically. I was able to remove some of the lettering by switching to edit vertices mode. Doing so, however, seemed to remove the text as well as the physical features of the other side of the model; I'm not sure why. .

i'm not a lightwave or max user but from experience in blender i can be rather sure that you managed to select more than just the text to delete. one thing you might check is if when in edit vertices mode there is an option to switch between full x-ray and hidden line, you probably used the full x-ray mode so selected vertices behind as well as those you wanted to remove. if possible try a hidden line mode where you can only see the vertixes that are not covered by others, this might allow removal of text. another important issue is if the text is actually cut into the model or effectively resting just on top of the surface, if it is "resting on top " then deleting it and adding a new text shape in its place will be adequate, if it is cut into the model you will need to remove it, then rebuild the hull where it was then cut in new text(or add a texture).
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    I don't know about Max, but in Lightwave Modeler you can select a polygon and then hit the "Selection" menu (on the left, near the top) and hit "Select Connected." That will select everything that is connected to that polygon. Then you can copy or cut or just flat out delete whatever is connected to that part. Assuming the model was built in a series of parts and not all welded together, that should work. Though, I can't say for certain. It's worked with some of my models that I built in another program and imported into Lightwave.
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9788 Posts: 5,322Member
    ok, there are some crucial questions we need answers to if we are to help you, or suggest how you could help yourself, on this.
    1. what software are you modifying it with
    2. is the number you want to change modelled geometrically or simply "painted" on with a texture

also note that your link does not work.
    welcome to the forum.

the most important is
    1 does the TOS/Readme for the model allow for this.
    2 have you contacted the creator of that mesh for permission

Reading the read me there is no mention of permissions so I would contact the creator just in case, likely there is no issue.

A for the direct info on how to edit it there are plenty of tuts and instructions out there to learn from. Getting a specific answer here is just a patch to properly learning the applications. This would be of better benefit to you than someone hand holding you or doing it for you. Given max is the files native app I would use that and look up poly editing tuts. Max has some really good tuts I think with 2014 it is all online.
    http://docs.autodesk.com/3DSMAX/15/ENU/3ds-Max-Tutorials/index.html
    There are videos as well.

S3rk905l.jpg
    To make it easier to select the "bits" as the model is a series of objects all attached is to begin selecting them and detaching them as separate objects.

I have looked at the max version and it is modeled in and easily removed by converting the mesh to editable poly, though editable mesh it is doable as well. Cutting in a new reg though is far more complex than just removing the old ones. Again learning basic poly editing in one or the other package would be the best approach.

hint hint I have a reg cutting tut on my blog, there are probably other resources for this as well EXP since most prefer videos these days. KIM you have at least 6 locations to edit and fonts to search for as well.
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
  • kkragenbrinkkkragenbrink0 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks, all, for the suggestions, and especially thank you to MadKoiFish for the pointers on this specific mesh. I am very much intending to learn to use the tool; I don't want someone to hold my hands, I just want someone to lead me in the right direction. There are so many things to learn with a tool like 3ds max, and I'm entirely self taught, so having someone nudge me towards what I'm looking for is a big help.

Especially thank you for the tutorial and blog links; I will be sure to go through them both.

ETA: Also, there is a READ ME distributed with all versions of this file which describes under what circumstances it can be used. I intend to comply with it. :)