Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

2DHanzhefu's digital paintings

Hunter GHunter G1905 Posts: 543Member
edited June 2016 in Work in Progress #1
I've made a goal to draw a 45 minute concept sketch a day, excluding Sunday. The idea is for me to see how I'm improving, so I'll post it all, no matter how bad I think it looks. I hope over time that I will look back to the start of this thread and say "wow, I was not very good back then." I will also post any other painting I decide to do in addition to the daily ones.

Here are the first two. They are literally the first two concept sketches I've done.

environment_concept_practice_1_by_hanzhefu-d75jmii.png
environment_concept_practice_2_by_hanzhefu-d76gpii.png

Edit: So I haven't done a sketch a day, but I have made progress I guess. *shrug*

*thumbnail from page 4*
110748.jpg
Post edited by Hunter G on
Tagged:

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Those are both really sweet. I especially like the first one. :)
  • Knight26Knight26191 Posts: 837Member
    Wow very nice, I might talk to you in a few months about a book cover.
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    some nice concepts, are these things you plan on building for future renders/videos?
  • MaxxRushMaxxRush180 Posts: 168Member

Agreed. Considering that can't even do any kind of digital painting, these are amazing!

The first one gives me a Deus Ex: Human Revolution vibe - probably because the color palette for the game was primarily blacks and golds. The only difference is that it's never daylight in the game.
  • Hunter GHunter G1905 Posts: 543Member

Thanks!
    Knight26 wrote: »
    Wow very nice, I might talk to you in a few months about a book cover.

Cool!
    some nice concepts, are these things you plan on building for future renders/videos?

Not really, they're just practice.
    MaxxRush wrote: »
    Agreed. Considering that can't even do any kind of digital painting, these are amazing!

The first one gives me a Deus Ex: Human Revolution vibe - probably because the color palette for the game was primarily blacks and golds. The only difference is that it's never daylight in the game.

I've gotten that before on the first one. I had to look it up, and it does kind of look like the game!
    Here are some more, but this time ship instead of environments. :)

klingon_ship_concept_1___hor_cha_class_by_hanzhefu-d76i3nn.png
    starfleet_ship_concept_1__asgard_class_by_hanzhefu-d73qwpz.png
    Hunter G wrote: »
    Here are some more, but this time ship instead of environments. :)

klingon_ship_concept_1___hor_cha_class_by_hanzhefu-d76i3nn.png
    starfleet_ship_concept_1__asgard_class_by_hanzhefu-d73qwpz.png
    should like to see more of both those ships, especially the klingon one.
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Nice work, and a good plan to chart your progress. I did a similar thing years ago when I was looking at producing comic art by looking at doing a comic adaptation of Star Wars, I never finished the thing unfortunately, but what I had done did do a very good job of charting my progress, showing what new techniques I decided to try out and all that, And you can definitely see the improvement over the years.

I like what you've done here and look forward to seeing where you're at with this thread in a couple of months.
    Any character work planned?
    TALON_UK wrote: »
    Nice work, and a good plan to chart your progress. I did a similar thing years ago when I was looking at producing comic art by looking at doing a comic adaptation of Star Wars, I never finished the thing unfortunately, but what I had done did do a very good job of charting my progress, showing what new techniques I decided to try out and all that, And you can definitely see the improvement over the years.

I like what you've done here and look forward to seeing where you're at with this thread in a couple of months.

Thanks for the insight! I'm also looking forward to seeing my improvement.
    Any character work planned?

You read my mind. I do have some characters drawn, but they don't really count as concept art, but I will be doing some concepts of them sometime. I'll post what I do have today.
    Ok, I promised some character, so here they are. The reason I don't think these count as concept art is the method I used to create them. I sketched the faces, then I found a portrait in google images that has the right skin tone and lighting, then I picked the colors from the reference and painted them onto my sketches. With Evalyn, I was lucky enough to find the actor Luvia Peterson, who had the right look as well as the lighting and skin tone, so that one was the easiest.

Anyway, these characters are 3 of nine characters, and I haven't drawn the others yet. If you can't tell, the boys are twins.

avatar__the_new_world___evalyn_by_hanzhefu-d70ft4u.jpg
    avatar__the_new_world___jaylin_by_hanzhefu-d6tbz23.png
    avatar__the_new_world___damon_by_hanzhefu-d775pfh.png
    Wow those look awesome. Take a look at this thread of mine. DO you think you could help me with the characters, I am not satisfied with my color work, my friend did the sketches. I might even be able to kick some funds your way for the effort, need to check with the wife first on that.
    Wow those look awesome. Take a look at this thread of mine. DO you think you could help me with the characters, I am not satisfied with my color work, my friend did the sketches. I might even be able to kick some funds your way for the effort, need to check with the wife first on that.

I might be able to help you. How about you PM me. Also the pic I'm about to post will give you an idea of how I do poster type thingys. ;)
    Here are two movie posters I did a while back. They are based off the old cartoon kids show "Astro Boy". There are three cartoon series, plus a CG movie. These posters are a mockup of how a live action movie might look.

astro_movie_poster_by_hanzhefu-d6gvc3n.png
    astro_movie_poster_2_by_hanzhefu-d6hfh7o.png
    Great work on everything. I especially like those character head shots, they're very life-like. (I can't paint anything more than walls and plastic models ;))
    Ok, after a long break from Photoshop, here are some more drawings! These are from the last couple weeks.

Some ship concepts:
    concept_sheet_1___small_ships_by_hanzhefu-d7k8a6u.png
    Another angle of that Bird of Prey I did a while back, with some changes.
    bop___hor_cha_class_2_by_hanzhefu-d7l0mcg.png
    Two more character portraits:
    avatar__the_new_world___kota_by_hanzhefu-d79qhl1.png
    avatar__the_new_world___kaedan_by_hanzhefu-d7krl2m.png
    And a detailed portrait, just for fun.
    girl_holding_flower___digital_portrait_practice_1_by_hanzhefu-d7ih54d.png
  • jrhotteljrhottel9 Posts: 0Member
    Impressive. Please share more as you go. Have fun.
  • BorgManBorgMan209 DutchlandPosts: 581Member
    I'm liking that Federation ship you got there! Very creative :)
    Love your character work, very well done and realistic, had to do a double take with those first ones to make sure they weren't just touched up photos.

:thumb:
    awesome bird of prey design.
    Wow! It's been awhile since I've visited this site. There's so much awesome material I've missed!

Anyway, I've been taking a break from Blender (specifically my Constitution Class project), in favor of focusing on dance and music. I'm not quite ready to get back to that project yet, but I have done some more drawings, so I thought I'd share some here:

Another Bird of Prey:
    klingon_bird_of_prey_2___mar_tok_class_by_hanzhefu-d8571ca.png

Some Jedi, drawn on the 4th. ;) They are two "just for fun" Star Wars characters of mine, Korov Vega (left) and Anoa Aljera (right).
    star_wars_crap_by_hanzhefu-d8plhzf.png

And finally, the first in a series of Batman characters, Robin (Damian Wayne):
    robin___damian_wayne_by_hanzhefu-d8t5hb7.png

And of course, a WIP of Nightwing (Richard Grayson):
    nightwing_wip_by_hanzhefu-d8u0zs5.png
  • SaquistSaquist1 Posts: 0Member
    The BOP feels cylon like.
    Nightwing looks beautiful. Excellent face lighting. He reminds of Sharkboy.
  • ArmondikovArmondikov0 Posts: 0Member
    Great stuff. :thumb: I'm going to have to stalk your work on DeviantART, now.
    Very nice, too bad our collab last year stalled out, I love you artwork.
    Armondikov wrote: »

Haha, thanks!
    Saquist wrote: »
    The BOP feels cylon like.
    Nightwing looks beautiful. Excellent face lighting. He reminds of Sharkboy.

Huh, he kind of does. (I think you mean Robin)
    Very nice, too bad our collab last year stalled out, I love you artwork.

I know! I guess I'm not ready to do art for clients yet, seeing as I'm not very reliable that way, lol. Someday, someday...
    That Bird of Prey rocks. I really like the Robin design too.
  • RaftermanRafterman331 Posts: 0Member
    Armondikov wrote: »

Me too !!!!!!!!!!!!:eek!:
    A few more things.

First, nananananananananananananananana BATMAN!

batman___grayson_by_hanzhefu-d8ypmy9.png

And some landscape thumbnails:

thumbnails_1_by_hanzhefu-d90khnn.png

Mwahaha.
  • ArmondikovArmondikov0 Posts: 0Member
    The landscapes are pretty cool. Good brushwork emulating the trees, too. :thumb:
    Nice, particularly like the landscapes too, good, quick, moody and atmospheric.