Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Greetings!

Welcome to the fancy new Scifi-Meshes.com! You old username and password should work. If not, get in touch with staff either here, on Facebook or on Discord.

For a quick summary on what's new, check out this thread.
You should also check out the Community Guidelines here.
You can check out most recent posts here or by clicking the handy links on the top menu or the sidebar.

You can dismiss this message by clicking the little X in the top right corner.

3DU.S.S. Coronado, Katana Class Starship

12346»

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1801709 Posts: 9,861Member
    That's some great work. I like how much thought you're putting into launching and landing the Specters.
  • McCMcC214 Posts: 675Member
    edited August 2019 #153
    If you're just joining this thread, hi! Please read the first post for some background info. Many questions have come up over and over again that are answered there. Thanks!

Thanks, @evil_genius_180 !

Was out of town for GenCon (my first time!), and the week prior to it was a whirlwind of in-person D&D sessions, so have only really been able to get any progress done in the last week or so.

The next big item on the agenda was finalizing what to do with the actual launch doors. After some experimenting, I decided I liked horizontal staggered sliding panels. Unfortunately, in order to make them not overly huge and also reasonably thick (~30cm, my standard hull thickness), I had doors that didn't fit into the door frame I had made! Time to rebuild the entire outer shell of the Specter bay, I guess!

coro_2019-08-08-1728_ogl.jpg

Pictured above is the "how am I going to patch this up?" screenshot of despair on top, with the end result (using a red carpaint matcap to look for mesh distortion) on the bottom. The Shrinkwrap modifier, using some freshly-built and very clean target meshes, made reworking the area a lot less painful than it would have otherwise been. That'd turn out to be foreshadowing for later tasks. Speaking foreshadowing, anyone remember this?
    McC wrote: »
    Shrink Wrap is a dirty, evil modifier that I try to avoid wherever possible.

Yeah...my opinion on that topic has changed over the years. :sweat_smile:

In any event, I ended up putting together a quick rig and cooked up a viewport render to see how it looked opening.

Post edited by McC on
    evil_genius_180Lizzy777Brandenberg
    Looking great. Those are my favorite kind of bay doors to do.
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1415 CaliforniaPosts: 1,764Member
    Fun. Click and open the doors. It's looking great.
    If you're just joining this thread, hi! Please read the first post for some background info. Many questions have come up over and over again that are answered there. No, this is not the Insignia class. Thanks!

Thanks, @evil_genius_180 and @Brandenberg!

Still at it! Also, I'm a dad now!

I've been posting periodic updates in Discord since I've gotten back around to working on the model again (after another half-year hiatus!). The new Intel denoising node in more recent versions of Blender has more or less solved my demoralizing noise issues entirely, which is awesome. I set about the arduous process of UVing the main hull (the saucer has been UVed for a while, as evidenced by the multiple color tones on it). I should've kept up with my UVs as I went, but I got lazy, and now I'm paying for it!

In the process of doing so, I started seeing more and more mesh distortion, especially around the windows in the main hull. I knew if I didn't address it, it'd eat at me forever, so I rebuild every single offending panel with significantly higher polygon density and vastly superior loop flow, then re-integrated it into the existing (and now quite a bit lower resolution, though it doesn't show thanks to the placement of the panels) hull. Finally finished that this evening, so I can now return to UVing and--hopefully soon--actually do some texture work and, maybe, possibly, finish this project at last.

Some "establishing" renders from Feb. 8th, just to refresh on the overall look of the ship.
    coro_2020-02-08-1138.jpg&size=320 coro_2020-02-08-1140.jpg&size=320

Added an underside fill light on the 10th, no longer lit only by the single sun-bright key.
    coro_2020-02-10-1349.jpg&size=320

After chatting with @Viper on Discord, switch to the same HDRI he uses in his WIP renders on the 18th.
    coro_2020-02-18-1656.jpg&size=320

Before/after comparison of the hull panel rebuild and the comparative mesh density from yesterday evening.
    coro_2020-02-22-2244_ogl.jpg&size=320

Render of the finished panel rebuild from this evening.
    coro_2020-02-23-2313.jpg&size=320

Not-quite-the-same-but-close before/after comparison render from the same angle as above of the overall wires of the ship from last summer and now.
    coro_2020-02-23-2338_wire_old.jpg&size=320 coro_2020-02-23-2331_wire.jpg&size=320
    Lizzy777Brandenberg
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1415 CaliforniaPosts: 1,764Member
    A DAD!!! Boy is YOUR life going to change.

Keep up the good work Dad
    edited March 8 #158
    If you're just joining this thread, hi! Please read the first post for some background info. Many questions have come up over and over again that are answered there. No, this is not the Insignia class. Thanks!

Thanks, @Brandenberg! Life has change profoundly, but also remains the same in a lot of ways!

Been madly UVing since last post, finally getting everything to a point where I think I'm happy with it. With the UVs sorted, I plunged back into texturing in earnest. Right now, I've got a generic hull panel mixed into the shader that is just mapped with blended box mapping. I don't intend to leave it in that state; the hull panels will get properly incorporated into the textures once the other features are in. For now, it's there just to give me something to reflect light off of and see how the surface roughness is coming together.

UVing, from Feb 26, 27, and 29, using checkerboard textures to check scale across both islands as well as different UDIMs.
    coro_2020-02-26-1514_ogl.jpg&size=320 coro_2020-02-27-1316.jpg&size=320 coro_2020-02-29-0932_ogl.jpg&size=320

Texturing finally beginning anew (albeit with the previous texture work used as a reference), from Mar 1. Some pieces still have checkerboard scale textures on them, other places have islands with solid, bright color for quick identification.
    coro_2020-03-01-1120.jpg&size=320 coro_2020-03-01-1135.jpg&size=320

More incremental texture work, from Mar 3 through this evening.
    coro_2020-03-03-1320.jpg&size=320 coro_2020-03-04-1154.jpg&size=320 coro_2020-03-07-1251.jpg&size=320 coro_2020-03-07-2333.jpg&size=320
    Post edited by McC on
    Lizzy777lewisnivenxiaorobearBrandenbergevil_genius_180
    edited March 17 #159

Texture, texture, texture! Plus messing around with shaders and not being happy with any of my experiments. I've (at least for now!) resolved to leave the shader fairly simple for now and will circle back to roughness and bump maps after I get all the colors and such sorted out.

Most of the texture work is done in Inkscape (open source equivalent to Illustrator).

Mar 10:
    coro_2020-03-10-2038.jpg

Shader iteration over the course of Mar 10 through Mar 14. I have yet to shake the feeling that it looks too much like a plastic model or toy in the shots, which is super disheartening:
    coro_2020-03-10-2255.jpg coro_2020-03-13-2233.jpg coro_2020-03-13-2306.jpg coro_2020-03-14-1418.jpg

Phaser hazard markers from Mar 15:
    coro_2020-03-15-1648.jpg

Blocking in some more color areas and general markings, from this evening:
    coro_2020-03-16-2235.jpg

I'll probably back off of the big dark landing area aft of the shuttlebay. That was lifted from the aft bay of the Sovereign-class, where it's a much smaller accent. Might keep some of it, though -- maybe make it U- or V-shaped instead.

The grind goes on.
    Post edited by McC on
    Lizzy777evil_genius_180P5ych0p4thBrandenbergFreak
    That's looking fantastic.
    McC
  • SATRSATR129 Posts: 310Member
    I live the deflector dish
    McC
  • P5ych0p4thP5ych0p4th439 GermanyPosts: 310Member
    edited March 17 #162
    McC wrote: »
    I have yet to shake the feeling that it looks too much like a plastic model or toy in the shots, which is super disheartening

Well that kind of depends on, what you‘re going for. I for one like a more plastic-y look, since it makes the thing look more like a super detailed physical model, that an actual spaceship. And that in turn tells our brains, that it‘s „real“ ... weird, I know 😁

For example: a surprising amount of baby Yoda is cgi. But they went for a more plastic-y look, instead of a skin shader, so he looks real to us.

Almost forgot to write: your work looks amazing! 👌
    Post edited by P5ych0p4th on