Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

AnimationMy FumeFX and particle animations

d4rk3lfd4rk3lf0 Posts: 0Member
edited May 2015 in Work in Progress #1
Hi there fellas. :)

These are not scifi stuff, so I hope I don't brake any rule.

I am working on the new demoreel (mostly fumefx and particle stuff), that will hopefully get me some freelance (or fulltime) work anytime soon.

What you don't like?
What would you change?
What you think I need to learn to be better?
All that stuff interest me.

These are all Wips, so I hope you will help me to make them as awesome as possible. :dance:

Let's start.

Meteor test:
(FullHD)
- VIEW HERE -

Ornament:
Ornament converted - YouTube

Hero:
Fog - YouTube

March:
march test 2 converted - YouTube

Simple campfire
Campfire 01 converted - YouTube

Remember intro for first Diablo 3 trailer? The fire stick and the candle?
Here, I've tried to copy that fire as close as I could.
Diablo 3 test:
Blizzard Diablo start test - YouTube

Here's the Pflow test driven by Fumefx velocity:

Ball:
Ball converted - YouTube

Thanks to all :)
104186.jpg
Post edited by d4rk3lf on
Tagged:

• Chris2005Chris2005678 Posts: 3,097Member
    That blew me away!
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC 12GB
    1TB NVMe SSD, 2 x 1GB SATA SSD, 4TB external HDD
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Unfortunately, I can't help you make these any better because they're way better than anything I could do of that nature. That's some really impressive work. :thumb:
  • Toa_KaitaToa_Kaita332 Posts: 0Member
    These are absolutely stunning!
  • RandalRRandalR0 Posts: 0Member
    Definitely beyond my scope and ability (Amateur).
    Nice Clouds and BG's

What Particle System, app?

Thing is, I am sure similar things can be done using C4d Particle system, but,
    it would take a very knowledgable,experienced user of the Thinking Particle system.
    And using Pyroclusters might not be able to accomplish this.... Leaves me curious. Hmm...

But That Meteor was PRETTY BAD ASS!!!

Regards,
  • d4rk3lfd4rk3lf0 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks to all guys. :)
    Don't be so hard on yourself, anyone could do what I did.

@RandalR
    Thanks mate.

The meteor was done in 3DS Max, using Particle Flow and FumeFX. The background was animated in After Effects, and also final compositing of all 3DS Max passes.
    Basically, I have separate scenes for the meteor, and for the explosion (so I could focus only on that), and after I simulated that, I've merged containers in to the main scene, positioned them, and then rendered separate passes.
    Only bird had to be simulated on one big container, but I had to use void helper to save some container space (void ignores everything that is out his radius), otherwise sim would take up to 2020 year. :)
    The melting fire was done with standard particle(flow) system, just emiter from the bird bones, a little bit gravity, and a little bit turbulent wind for the variation.

I've also tried a little bit pyrocluster (in 3DS Max), and I think it's possible to this with that also. If not straight from the render, then compositing could make it look better.

Hope that answers some of your questions. :)

Best regards,
    Bobi
    Update

Fire Knight. :)
  • BlobVanDamBlobVanDam0 Posts: 0Member
    This stuff all looks awesome! I'd love to have a quick run down of how you did the bugs one (because I might have a slight hope of managing that one!).
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    d4rk3lf wrote: »
    Update

Fire Knight. :)

quite spectacular.
    That latest one with the knight is awesome. I had to watch it a few times to see everything I wanted to see. :D
    Thanks guys. :)

Stay tuned, there will be more. :)
    BlobVanDam wrote: »
    This stuff all looks awesome! I'd love to have a quick run down of how you did the bugs one (because I might have a slight hope of managing that one!).

Sure man.
    Since this is not a commercial work, I'll attach you a 3DS Max (2011) project file (without textures), so you can take a look by yourself.
    Basically, it's a simple Particle flow system, with "speed by surface" operator and random speed. I also place a "keep appart" operator, so bugs (try) to avoid themself.
    Take a look at the file, and if you need further explanation, fell free to ask, and I'll do a mini tutorial.

That latest one with the knight is awesome. I had to watch it a few times to see everything I wanted to see. :D

Thanks man.
    But if you didn't get it at the first watch, then something is wrong with it. :)
    I'll try to fix that. ;)

@spacefighter

Thanks man. :)

Best regards to all.
    Bobi
  • Greeble_GremlinGreeble_Gremlin331 Posts: 0Member
    Really Terrific work!
    I got to start playing with FumeFX

Thanks for the inspiration!
    I'm sure these additions to your reel will get you some work
    Thank you Gremlin, and thanks Sci-fi meshes for the plug! :)

I did some quick animation for the client (I did cinematic intro for that client and his game some time a go (I have a separate thread for it here)), and this animation will be played, after player loads game.

So, here it is... I hope you like it:

I am working on more tests... will post that soon, hopefully.
    The Beast:
    I am participating in the CG Talk FXWars.
    The theme is: Warp speed.

Couldn't avoid this forum, because of the subject :)

Here's the first test:
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann629 Posts: 1,284Member
    That was cool... my mind expected me to follow them through a tunnel of light.

Totally dug that de-cloaking as well.
  • Knight26Knight26192 Posts: 838Member
    I see some clipping issues in the last one
  • RandalRRandalR0 Posts: 0Member
    That is way bad. <<<<< Awesome!

Thanks for the info.

Will have to delve a lil more into the Content in C4d for Spline,surface emitters and other things, and see if I can
    at least get some particles to emit from bones.

So, cool. I want to do it too..... lol

Regards,

Randal R
    that's some extraordinary work. the 6th march video with the decloaking effect must have taken ages to animate all the small ships in the background, great fog and dust on "the beast" and the beast in the video was well modeled and textured( although some of it's movements looked a bit rigid), the latest one(warp entry) was more great work although the moving parts on the two ships looked rather bad (seemed as though objects were moving through each other) the effect of the "entrry point" and of space being distorted around it was fantastic. much of your particle/explosion/fog/other complex stuff effects is of better quality than some on tv shows and easily of almost the same quality to some in movies.
    Thanks a lot guys.

@ Spacefighter.
    Thanks mate. Most of the models (and basic animations) are not mine (only rendering, effects, shading, and stuff like that...), though I did get involved in lots of animation (like the bird in the beginning, or transformation in the last one ) They are either downloaded long time a go (don't know the source), or modeled by my friend. When I know the source, I always try to mention original creators.
    Also, if someone knows the source of some model I used, please let me know, so I can mention original creators.
    These are not commercial work, but I would gladly mention everyone involved.

As for the background ships in the "decloacking effects", actually I did them very fast with 3DS Max particle flow. If you want (and if you're using 3DS Max), I'll explain how.
    Thanks a lot for the kind words, will try my best to improve in the future.

Stay tuned... next is some real footage tracked, and lot's of effects in there.
    Love your FumeFX work, would FumeFX be capable of producing explosions similar to the one at 0:43 in this video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWi-pJLO2m4

And other similar explosions, the explosions that have this really gasoline-like explosion look... zero-g explosions...

I've been trying to find tutorials, but none are helping, most are explosions with gravity, etc.
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
    Well, I think it's very possible for wider shot from the sample, but shot before that (closeup fire) could be tricky, because it would need very hi simulation steps to simulate it.
    I think, in the movies, they often "trick" close-ups with real recorded footage, and distant shots are done with voxel sims like fumefx.

As for the zero gravity, play with temperature settings with your fume. The higher the temperature the higher (and faster) will be your fire and smoke. Also, you could control individually "highness" parameter of the individual elements (fire and smoke) by playing with buoyancy parameter.
    Worth mentioning is also a "time-scale" parameter.. you may want to reduce it bellow 1.0 so you get slow explosion like in the sample you posted.
    Noise parameter is good for adding details, and to further increase velocity in each direction.
    d4rk3lf wrote: »
    Well, I think it's very possible for wider shot from the sample, but shot before that (closeup fire) could be tricky, because it would need very hi simulation steps to simulate it.
    I think, in the movies, they often "trick" close-ups with real recorded footage, and distant shots are done with voxel sims like fumefx.

As for the zero gravity, play with temperature settings with your fume. The higher the temperature the higher (and faster) will be your fire and smoke. Also, you could control individually "highness" parameter of the individual elements (fire and smoke) by playing with buoyancy parameter.
    Worth mentioning is also a "time-scale" parameter.. you may want to reduce it bellow 1.0 so you get slow explosion like in the sample you posted.
    Noise parameter is good for adding details, and to further increase velocity in each direction.

Yea, I think most of the explosions are real footage.

Thanks for the input. :)

I plan on really experimenting after I get my computer fixed/upgraded sometime next month, so I have more power to work with.
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
    As I promised, here's a real camera tracked and 3D characters and effects added.

Thanks in advance for all feedback! :)
    that's a cool video, shame it cuts out at 0.08 ish. not sure what the ships is doing rising out of the riverbank but it is a good integration of cg with real photography. motion is fast enough for anything that might be off with the lighting and texture of the cg stuff to not be visible.
    That's friggin' fantastic. I've seen special effects in big budget films that don't look that good. :)
    I've been busy on some freelance projects.

Here's the new (small)dragon fire, or flamethrower test:

@spacefighter.
    Thanks. I am myself not sure what is this thing rising from the sand. I've constructed it from spaceship parts, and I've imagine that it could be maybe some anti-aircraft weapon. Since nobody didn't recognized as that, I didn't succeed. :)

@evil_genius_180
    Thanks, but I think you're too kind. There's a lots of mistakes there, and I need to practise more to get into the real film effects.
    awesome flame effect, but very smoky what is being burnt?
    @spacefighter
    Well.. nothing really... some wall is being burned... the focus was on flame. :)

CG Talk challenge 3 DAY CINEMATIC:
    http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=2&t=1211500&page=1

Here's my entry:
  • wibblewibble1141 Weimar, GermanyPosts: 510Member
    Funny.