Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

PracticalTOS U.S.S Enterprise 1/350th Scale

• PixelMagicPixelMagic471 Posts: 663Member
    Here are a couple of screens of the Defiant from that episode. It definitely has engraved gridlines, though it's hard to see here.

inamirrordarkly2_049.jpg

inamirrordarkly2_868.jpg

And of course Greg Jein's Enterprise from "Trials and Tribble-ations".

trialstribbleations564.jpg

trialstribbleations501.jpg
  • lennier1lennier1913 Posts: 1,280Member
    People grew up with the grid lines carved into the model kits and every Enterprise after the classic series had them, that's why people for some reason tend toward this version instead of an actually undamaged model with pencil lines:
    http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/showthread.php?t=381040
    Doesn't help that doing an accurate version would've made it more expensive for the toy companies.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    PixelMagic wrote: »
    Here are a couple of screens of the Defiant from that episode. It definitely has engraved gridlines, though it's hard to see here.

inamirrordarkly2_049.jpg

I see that. I did an image search, but I couldn't find anything this close. I found the other one you posted, but as you say, it's harder to see. However, this one is fairly conclusive. Great find. :) Though, it is a possibility that they're just bump mapped, but they're definitely going down into the hull somehow, or at least appearing to.

I actually really like Greg Jein's model. His shop built that in 3 days, or something like that. That's insane. It's a shame that photos of that model are very few and far between.
  • spockboyspockboy0 Posts: 0Member
    Had no idea that the color correction on the episode was so BAD. The Enterprise was a gray green with a slight blue tinge due to the bluescreen but this one looks purple! :)COLOR CORRECTION.jpg
    107130.jpg
    Welp, I spent about 2 years modeling Star Wars ships instead of finishing this up. Let's get back to it!

Deflector dish primed with Mr. Surfacer 1200 Spray, then Alclad Gloss Black as a base coat, then Alclad Copper on top. Love it!

vism2w2.jpg
  • VALKYRIE013VALKYRIE013547 Posts: 1,473Member
    Love Alclad! There Chrome, Stainless Steel, and Polished Brass are Excellent! Good to see you back to work on this!

To back up abit, back to grid lines.. the Revel Germany 1/600 Enterprise was based on the Trials and Tribulations version by Greg.. thats why It has the grid lines, and I heard that Polar Lights is comming out with a "Smoothie" Version sometime soon, I think its aftermarket version, .. so still have to buy the kit, then shell out an extra $$ for the smoothie saucer apparently..
    Love Alclad! There Chrome, Stainless Steel, and Polished Brass are Excellent! Good to see you back to work on this!

To back up abit, back to grid lines.. the Revel Germany 1/600 Enterprise was based on the Trials and Tribulations version by Greg.. thats why It has the grid lines, and I heard that Polar Lights is comming out with a "Smoothie" Version sometime soon, I think its aftermarket version, .. so still have to buy the kit, then shell out an extra $$ for the smoothie saucer apparently..

Actually, the smooth saucer is in response to all the people who hated the gridlines. Polar Lights is rereleasing this kit for the 50th Anniversary, and all kits from now on will have the smooth saucer.
    Last weekend I did some artwork of the TOS and JJprise corridors in Photoshop to put behind my model's windows so it wasn't just a white void. I wanted to get the sense of something in there.

Kk1vF0y.jpg

ty4PdnO.jpg

First I had simply gone to FedEx Office and had them print my window patterns on transparency.

Today, I used Inkpress Backlight Film. This stuff works much better in that it lets light pass through, but it diffuses it. Also, FedEx Office can only print on laser jet printers, which doesn't work with graphics very well. My Inkjet printer made the graphics much sharper and richer. I absolutely love how this is looking now.

mLnxh4l.jpg

9GGj0MK.jpg

mRJJ0B3.jpg

zqUn6hQ.jpg

iBC1ww3.jpg

bYS7JjP.jpg
    That looks flippin' outstanding. They did something similar for the TMP ship and Voyager, used set photos to make rooms behind the windows. Your graphics do a great job of giving it that same look. The diffused light looks very reminiscent of how the sets were lit on the show. :thumb:
    They did something similar for the TMP ship and Voyager, used set photos to make rooms behind the windows.

That's where I got the idea. :)
    PixelMagic wrote: »
    That's where I got the idea. :)

I figured that may have been the case. :)
    I was able to get bridge consoles and control panels printed onto slide film. These will look much better backlit than decals would. The color is vibrant and rich.

WPbrMoj.jpg
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Awesome. So what are you planning, a cutaway hull section so you can reveal the Bridge interior? That is going to look great.

:thumb:
    TALON_UK wrote: »
    Awesome. So what are you planning, a cutaway hull section so you can reveal the Bridge interior? That is going to look great.

The kit comes with a clear bridge dome, so that you can look inside and see the bridge from above like this guy's build...

jw_ent350d.jpg

I'll have to decide which way I want the bridge to face, forward, or rotated off center due to the great turbolift debate. :D
    That's really sweet. :)
    Ohh, that looks awesome! So like in the original pilot when they opened with a shot that dove in from above the exterior seamlessly into the interior? Nice.

The detail in there is stunning, particularly like the D-7 Battlecruiser on the viewscreen.

No way I could paint the small detail of the turbolift bay, so I made artwork in Photoshop, printed them out on photo paper, and cut them out with an Xacto knife. They fit perfectly!

NdSuxVu.jpg
    Very nicely done. It looks terrific.
    Didn't have time to finish the entire bridge tonight, but I did get pics of the backlit slide film panels. Love the effect! I'll have pictures of the finished bridge soon.

xLYOQJa.jpg

2qOCbYr.jpg

EXsxkvB.jpg
    Very nice. It looks like there are little computer screens in there.
    Ok, the bridge is done. PHEW! I never want to do that again.

mbAWOne.jpg

fyvczNq.jpg

EumPeDR.jpg

KgKmBG7.jpg

5oNmYTj.jpg

7YnKDst.jpg

zWIYQ1c.jpg

cnwRyO3.jpg

HvGiDxo.jpg
  • rojrenrojren2304 Louisville, Kentucky USAPosts: 1,971Member
    Amazing. And just looking at it gives me a sympathetic eye-pain behind my eyes.
    Wow, that's so tiny. It looks outstanding. :thumb:
  • HelotHelot391 Posts: 164Member
    Oh - My! That is fantastic. The finished effect is amazing.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
    That looks bleedin' awesome! Outstanding work there fella. I love how the lighting in there looks like it pretty much matches the way the set was lit. Most impressive.

Didn't want to start a new thread for this, but I also wanted to try the window inserts for my Revell JJprise.

I know the Revell model says it's 1:500 scale, but if you go with the official size, and also the very close saucer rim shot in Star Trek Beyond, Revell's model is actually 1:1000.

So with that in mind, I printed my corridors to be that size onto backlit film. This photo doesn't really do it justice at all though. In person it's really sharp looking.

Artwork...

VWMPRwo.jpg

And inserted into the saucer rim...

5MLSxsG.jpg
    Very nicely done. :)
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1115 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,566Member
    Insane detail level. Awesome work.
  • TralfazTralfaz412 Posts: 846Member
    That's amazing and looks incredible!
  • scifiericscifieric1122 Posts: 1,497Member
    Fantastic model work!