Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DThe Star Wars Project

• BigTBigT189 Posts: 96Member
    Thank you! It's like a rushA… you know it ;)
    Fortunately since this year I have the privilege to spend more time for making this things.
    Would I still work full-time it wouldn't be possible to make this fast progress.
    Even though I've recently encountered a 3 hours speed modeling shuttle, which also didn't look bad.

Actual state:
    104712.jpg
  • DarkSapiensDarkSapiens174 Posts: 0Member
    Woah, love it!
  • WizWiz28 Posts: 0Member
    Very nice work mate.
    Thank you! :) I'm little impressed myself how good it looks, but at the end it's that genius original shape of the ship itself.
    When I look at my first attempt with the Sentinel Shuttle in comparison then this lacks of detail and thus something of authenticity already in the original (game) design. The Lambda however is a McQuarrie creation and that explains all, doesn't it? :)

For the landing gear I went more in the direction of the 1:1 studio model design, where the flaps are opened in 45A° angle and the gear seems generally stronger designed than the one on the scaled model.
    I set this two guys in foreground for the models to appear in its meant size.

Final step is now the entrance area.
    As a benchmark I set my mind to Fractalsponges configuration. Until two months so ;) :D
    104767.jpg
    Seriously, the result is amazing. You are showing great skills here :thumb:
    Thank you very much for your kind words! :)

What helped me a lot the last time is this great tutorial site (C4D related): http://greyscalegorilla.com
    These people have a fabulous knack for effective tutorials about the really important and helpful tricks.
    Certain things and possibilities I would otherwise never even discovered :D

In the meantime, I've decided not to make the entrance area too specifically in detail, since I do not have to show it prominently in my current project. I'll just have to place the spots, steam valves and some greeblies and thats it.

Looking at that entrance make me feel like "huA…. is there somebody in there? not...? ok fine!! " ;)

I also made a quick test clip to determine the right dynamics of the whole mechanic gear.
    104794.jpg104795.jpg
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    The entrance is looking great. It's got enough detail, but not so much that it looks like a poly killer.
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    That looks excellent, when you stated you were going to be working on the entrance area I thought I'd throw you this ref shot, but on scrolling down and seeing the quality and accuracy of the work I reckon you might already have this, but I'll throw it out there in case you don't. Either way this is looking spot on. Very nice work.

:thumb:

shuttle.jpg
    Thank you for rating and the resource hint! I was indeed lucky to already find it,
    as also this great source (very bottom movie pics).
    As surely already discussed many times, it's little confusing when comparing details between it and the scaled model, but that opens possibilities to do it individually.

His Excellency personally attended the presentation and test flights today and exhorted significant improvements in textures and details :(
    I will build him an extra hard seat into the cockpit in return! :devil: ;)
    104830.jpg
    I'm loving the background too!
    BigT wrote: »
    I will build him an extra hard seat into the cockpit in return! :devil: ;)

One would think the Emperor wouldn't sit in the cockpit. He probably has his own Emperor cave in the back. ;)

The shuttle and the entire picture is looking great. :thumb:
    Well, according to the image I think he referred to Vader. But wouldn't he have armor in his rear end? :P
    Well, according to the image I think he referred to Vader. But wouldn't he have armor in his rear end? :P

Yeah he probably would have :lol: :thumb:

@evil_genius_180: In fact the Emperor is sitting in the Boeing in the back (which I did'nt wipe out properly). More comfort and better drinks... ;)
    Once again, a sign of life from me. Hope you're all well! :)

In recent months I worked on basic scenes for my animated short. I had and still has yet to learn how to deal with combinations of various dynamic tools. Especially with changes and the cache and baking opportunities. Here a still of a test with real dynamics, fire and smoke. I can't say much about the scene without spoiling the story, but the "main event" already happened here :D

scene_10_wip_140527.jpg

Since this kind of work can bring you down on your knees, I made a break in spring and tried again to improve my old problem child. I'm still not happy with it, but I guess the corrections have improved the appearance.

imp_snt_base_h0022.jpg

imp_snt_base_h0023.jpg

At an early stage of the project I thought I could use the great free model of the Star Destroyer bridge of Sean Kennedy (Treybor). But the need for more details and natural bevels led me to use Sean's model as a template for a completely new model.
    I know of no original movie pictures of a regular Star Destroyer bridge, but in the comics they was similar to the known Executor bridge and I went this way too. This is the current state.

imp_stardestroyer_bridge_new_f0000.jpg

As some have suggested here, I don't use textures anymore for detail simulation, but model everything. Definitely the better approach.
    Nice work, good to see you back. Loving the improvements you've made to your Sentinel, it looked good before, but you've made some solid tweaks to the model since last we saw it. Very good start on your Star Destroyer bridge too. It is good to model all the detail, but you'll still benefit from creating a few textures to finish off the detail nicely and add a little additional depth to the model, looking forward to seeing where you take this. The story sounds interesting too. Keep up the good work.

• homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    BigT wrote: »
    As some have suggested here, I don't use textures anymore for detail simulation, but model everything. Definitely the better approach.
    Textures are what bring a model to life - don't ditch textures. Useful for depth, coloring, materials, lighting etc. Modeling detail is good, but a happy combination of the two can really work wonders.

Love what you got so far!
    Thank you both for input :thumb:

I experimented a lot with noise textures this year and encountered the possibilities and advantages.
    What I meant was more the aspect of replacing images by real objects f.e. electronic details. But I do not quite absolutely exclude the image method if it fits.
    But indeed my hopes lies actually on the improved material engine of C4D R16, which could help for better realism, which was a lack of the internal render engine til now.

I expanded the bridge somewhat in the back and placed already some characters for better rating and understanding the room.
    This characters I made out of the "People in Motion" PlugIn standard, which I use in addition to Interposer M4 based characters.

As always I'm not up to create a specific accurate setting, more a look alike...

imp_stardestroyer_bridge_new_h1.jpg
    caveat_imperator
    You're doing some really great work on this. The characters look good, from what I can see of them. The shuttle and rooms look great. I really like the landing bay with the smoke in it. :)
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    Nice!
    Thank you!
    Here some new impressions just out of the renderer.
    You experienced folks will immediately notice my tricks and compromises, but that's what it's all about with our work, isn't it? :D

imp_stardestroyer_bridge_new_m2_0000.jpg

imp_stardestroyer_bridge_new_m2_0001.jpg

imp_stardestroyer_bridge_new_m2_0002.jpg

imp_stardestroyer_bridge_new_m2_0003.jpg

imp_stardestroyer_bridge_new_m2_0004.jpg

imp_stardestroyer_bridge_new_m2_0005.jpg

imp_stardestroyer_bridge_new_m2_0006.jpg
  • StarscreamStarscream231 Posts: 1,049Member
    Freakin' awesome.
    Starscream wrote: »
    Freakin' awesome.

I concur. :)
    Impressive, most impressive.

Thank you so much for your comments!
    It's the glory of the early and current works of you folks, that made me trying all this as well.
    Honestly I always been better in copying or adapting things than creating own designs from the scratch. So this here is just a fantastic playground :) :thumb:

I made some corrections on the windows and in the same time build the missing side windows. It's still not final, but finer adjustments depends on how I will use the model later in the animation.

imp_stardestroyer_bridge_new_m3_0009.jpg

I also needed this type of gangway, which could bee seen in the movies and deleted scenes. It's the first render and lightning. I recently switched from Irradiance to QMC GI and it's little different to handle and still a bit of guesswork.

imp_stardestroyer_bridge_new_o0069.jpg

A good week!
    NETWORK1 wrote: »
    Love your sets,and models so far, would love to experiment a CINEMATIC-RENDER with one of your set designs .
    What camera focal length did you use on the above set ?

image.gif

image.jpg

Thanks. That's indeed the goal. But for the moment I fear my models are not ready for any exchange. But I really appreciate your offer and will come back on it, when time is right. :thumb:

PS: For this shots I'm always hanging on a focal length of 24 @ 24mm sensor (35mm eq. on full frame), since this is the normal wide setup I'm using with my Sony NEX VG20 (AVCHD). But in the animation there will be sure a lot of portrait shots with short DOF.
    Nice, loving your expansions of the sets/environments etc, really good work, and nice job on the lighting in that off hangar sub hallway. What exactly is the final project your working towards? If you don't mind me asking?
    I'm hoping it's an animated film. That would be sweet. I'm really liking those latest renders.
    Thank you again dear colleagues! :thumb:

I do not know if you can spend all that much time for these things as I do. All this would be impossible as an after-work project for me. There are apparently these fabulous speed modelers, but I'm definitely not one of them. :D I have just two days a week for my own stuff and have set myself in mind to animate a little SW tale. No meaningful epic, more of a scavenger hunt, but not a parody. However, the main characters (a mix of OT and EU) should be real performers. This will certainly be the main challenge, but we have ingenious people at the film department of the university I'm working. At last I'm short before entrance examination as an 501st ESB Vader, hahaha :devil: So I hope they will also support the project with their stunning appearance.

Well, I just do not anything more stupid right? :lol: ;)

At the moment, it's still an experiment. If it fails my models simply will enter little sooner @ sic-fi3d! :D

PS: The R2 in the render above is from Sci-Fi 3D "Astromech" set (C) by John Jongsma.
    No matter how long the film is, I'll watch it. I love fan films because the people making them are motivated by love for the subject matter, not money.

I keep telling myself I'm going to do some SW stuff, but I always wind up doing Trek instead. :shiner:
    Yeah, I'm sure it's the same excitement to build Trek stuff, an amazing galaxy as well!
    I remeber my first Trek experience as a child. We still had a black/white TV at that time. But the monster in that epsiode was so frightening that i couldn't further watch the serie for month :D