Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3dsMAX: Edge ring & loop selecting sensitivity?

anystaranystar0 Posts: 0Member
last week i had to clean out all my Autodesk products and re-install.
ever since I have been having strange interactions when trying to select edge loops (rings seem to work as normal). its happening both in MAX'10 and MAX'12.

it happens more often on heavily modified faces (usualy after some kind of corner chamfering), but has been happening a few times on generic "normal" edges too. it will just randomly go off the hinges and make sharp turns in the grab.
before & after example:
capture_07252013_103910.jpgcapture_07252013_104015.jpg

didnt have this problem before the re-installs, and i've never known of a setting to affect the sensitivity of the selection, is there something i overlooked or dialed in weird when i re-customized all my settings? all google and area searches were no help, routinely only finding "cool new feature" or "how to" posts :(

also: no its not duplicate or wandering vertices confusing it, i wish it was...
102589.jpg
102590.jpg
Post edited by anystar on
Tagged:

• Chris2005Chris2005675 Posts: 3,096Member
    I have this same problem sometimes...
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC 12GB
    1TB NVMe SSD, 2 x 1GB SATA SSD, 4TB external HDD
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • anystaranystar0 Posts: 0Member
    i can understand how it might confused at intersections sometimes and pick a line to turn thats around 30-40 degrees, but when it just goes crazy on 90-180 degree tangents, it makes me think there HAS to be some tweak for it somewhere.
  • MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    Can you upload that little piece of geometry? I'm currently on Max 2014, and I can't reproduce that particular craziness.
    I don't know if that's because they improved loop detection, or because I'm not trying hard enough, though :p
    sure, really its just a sphere with a box cut in and extruded, then the edges chamfered down.

its not a problem exclusive to this mesh though.
    http://www.filefactory.com/file/3sd0w0vos0hf/n/TF4_2_031_max
  • MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    At first I wasn't able to reproduce it, even with your exact mesh...
    but then I tried "loop cylinder ends", and I got exactly the messed up selection you got.

"Loop Cylinder Ends" is only intended for basically selecting loops around ngons, like on the end of a cylinder; or something like this, where the lack of edges inside the ngon makes regular loop not work:

loopcylinderends.jpg
    AHA! many thanks sir :)
    just the help i needed, somehow my hotkey had been set to "select sub-object loop/ring" in stead of just selecting ring/loop.

+1000 internets to you Melak