Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DTemporal Vortex

IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
edited August 2013 in Finished Work #1
another year, another failed calendar submission, posting here for you to enjoy (hopefully)

this is my take on this scene from first contact
101930.jpg
Post edited by IRML on
JES
Tagged:

• biotechbiotech171 Posts: 0Member
    I like it.

What are those lines coming out of Florida and into the sea?
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    They're probably structures of some kind. That's how it was in the movie too.

Stunning work, Dave. It looks at least as good as what they did in the movie, if not better. It's a shame this didn't make it into the calendar. (that sucks, I know)
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    ouch I forgot how much this forum messes with uploads, that was a 2mb 4000 pixel wide image I uploaded and now it's blurry and small and horrible
    biotech wrote: »
    I like it.

What are those lines coming out of Florida and into the sea?
    I don't know specifically, just some borgy details I guess, I just copied what I could see in screenshots
    Yeah, your best bet is to upload images off site and hot link to them. That's what I do. Though, it's not just this forum, it's something the newer versions of vbulletin do. It's extremely irritating.
  • LonewriterLonewriter236 Posts: 1,078Member
    Nice as usual, I'm still working on a render of your Ent E. as soon as my Nova is done I'm going to do a render with both ships.
  • Chris2005Chris2005678 Posts: 3,097Member
    Failed submission? :o

New wallpaper. :D
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC 12GB
    1TB NVMe SSD, 2 x 1GB SATA SSD, 4TB external HDD
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • kuckuk333kuckuk333178 Posts: 209Member
    looking soooooo much better than in the movie. got a new desktop now.
    failed to make it into the calendar? damn, i don't wanna be one of those guys who have to decide what comes in and what not. pretty hard job when you have things like that and you have only space for 12 images...
  • trekkitrekki947 Posts: 1,399Member
    Super nice image. New Desktop !
    Is the time vortex a texture?
    Greetings
    trekki :cool:
  • CoolhandCoolhand286 Mountain LairPosts: 1,295Member
    Do they ever offer you any feedback on these things? Lighting etc, it really is a stunning image. I think it could be improved however, the planet, ship, effects are all pin sharp and look great. The vortex effect also looks great further away, like where the spherical ship is, but it really begins to look more and more pasted on as it comes closer to the foreground, it loses all definition and shading across the cloud (it would be picking up the light from the sun too so it would be shaded in that direction and also maybe less blue) - I know its a gas or a plasma spreading out or something but maybe if its that diffuse it should also be far less visible at that point... Perhaps there was more detail there before the image processor stripped it:D
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    that is excellent, i can see nothing wrong except that the vortex is positioned in a such a way that it looks to be inside the earth rather than in space. extraordinary!!
  • 1701TPA1701TPA5 Posts: 0Member
    IRML wrote: »
    another year, another failed calendar submission, posting here for you to enjoy (hopefully)

this is my take on this scene from first contact

Beautiful image!!! ...yours looks better then on blu-ray in the movie!
    Very Well Done :)

-Rick
    www.1701PrimeAlternative.com
  • YaricYaric0 Posts: 0Member
    You should just make your own calendar...

Nice picture, excellent looking earth.
    Interestingly enough, a bunch of us were having a discussion about doing our own calendar last year, when it looked like there wasn't going to be a 2014 SOTL calendar. ;)
    IRML
    Please have a little tip on how you can do that with the Temporal Vortex?
    Thanks
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    it's just a picture of some clouds mapped onto the inside of a cylinder
    Thank you, good idea :cool:
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Really nice pic.
    Love the Votex effect you got going.
  • experimationexperimation331 Posts: 21Member
    This image is great! Would have loved to have this on my wall for a month :)
  • DarknessDarkness333 Posts: 43Member
    Very very nice! I love the colors, red and blue have always been my thing. I tried to pull that scene off many years ago - this is what I've had in mind. :shiner::shiner:

The only "thing" there is, that I would agree that the blue "mist" to the right of the Sovvy appears a bit out of place compared to the very sharp "cloudish" part.