Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Iray Rendering black screen.

stfanboystfanboy67 Posts: 388Member
Hey guys,

I just got 3DS Max 2014 Design. I got used to using Mental Ray and I'm going to start out using Iray since it supports GPU Rendering. I don't have the right video cards (Nvidia) in my machine currently. My Question is how do I get rid of this black sreen render in Iray? When I delete all of the lights I get the default light and I can see my model. With all but one of the textures(architectural glow) showing up. When I add a skylight then the whole render is black. I tried adding a photometric light and it does the same thing. I am sure I am missing something with the lights but I can't figure out or find out why. Could it be because I have to turn up the intensity of the lights?

Thank you guys.

My Machine specs
I7-3930K
32 gigs ddr3
ATI Crossfire
Post edited by stfanboy on

• Chris2005Chris2005675 Posts: 3,096Member
    This should provide some help:
    http://area.autodesk.com/forum/autodesk-3ds-max/autodesk-3ds-max--3ds-max-design-2011/iray-only-renders-black---solved/

Keep in mind that iRay in GPU mode needs to be able to fit your scene onto the video of whatever CUDA devices you have.

Could be that you don't have a Nvidia card...
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC 12GB
    1TB NVMe SSD, 2 x 1GB SATA SSD, 4TB external HDD
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • stfanboystfanboy67 Posts: 388Member
    Thank you Chris. I read that before. Should help me out in the future.

I still don't understand without any lights I can see the model just fine in a render. The FAQ says you must use photometric lights. So I put one in then I get a black screen. Then I delete it, do a render and there is my model using the default scene light.
  • Chris2005Chris2005675 Posts: 3,096Member
    You're making sure the light isn't targeted at anything?

Using a free light?
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC 12GB
    1TB NVMe SSD, 2 x 1GB SATA SSD, 4TB external HDD
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro