Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DHaru-tan's Renders

animatoranimator0 Posts: 0Member
edited May 2013 in Finished Work #1
I thought I'd create a single thread in which to post new work rather than creating new ones for each piece of artwork.

Anyways, this is something I put together while experimenting with lighting Prologic9's beautiful Galaxy Class model. I was aiming to replicate the TNG DVD box-set cover art. Not a perfect result, but not bad in my opinion. :D

EDIT: Ouch, the compression really smudged the details. Here's an Imgur upload.
101725.jpg
Post edited by animator on
Tagged:

• YaricYaric0 Posts: 0Member
    It looks like you might be compositing the enterprise improperly. You are getting a black line around the enterprise. Other than that, not too bad. Personally I don't like the ship light effects turned up so high as to where they are looking just pasted on.
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    I the black line you're talking about is just that there's no light cast on top of the model, I highly doubt it's a compositing error
  • Chris2005Chris2005675 Posts: 3,096Member
    IRML wrote: »
    I the black line you're talking about is just that there's no light cast on top of the model, I highly doubt it's a compositing error

I think what Yaric is probably pointing out is how the edges are... from an After Effects perspective, it looks like the Alpha is set to Straight - Unmatted rather than Premultiplied... I remember I was plagued with the faint black pencil lines around the edges then I fiddled with that and got rid it... since I render on a black background out of Max...
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC 12GB
    1TB NVMe SSD, 2 x 1GB SATA SSD, 4TB external HDD
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    chris STOP STATING THE OBVIOUS, I know exactly what yaric means

furthermore, I know more about alpha channels than you do and you're talking crap as usual

that is all
  • Chris2005Chris2005675 Posts: 3,096Member
    chris STOP STATING THE OBVIOUS, I know exactly what yaric means

furthermore, I know more about alpha channels than you do and you're talking crap as usual

that is all

How was I talking crap? :confused:

I misunderstood and I thought you misunderstood what Yaric was pointing out...
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC 12GB
    1TB NVMe SSD, 2 x 1GB SATA SSD, 4TB external HDD
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • animatoranimator0 Posts: 0Member
    Yaric wrote:
    It looks like you might be compositing the enterprise improperly. You are getting a black line around the enterprise. Other than that, not too bad. Personally I don't like the ship light effects turned up so high as to where they are looking just pasted on.

I was attempting to replicate the overexposed look which most of the pre-remaster shots have. There are definitely a few problems, but thanks for the feedback. :3
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    rather nice render
  • SanderleeSanderlee1 Posts: 0Member
    This is going to sound odd ... but the angle makes the saucer look lopsided, like it's canted slightly to the starboard and down from level.

It can't be the model (I somehow doubt you'd have missed that!! :) ), so it must be just a trick of the angle.

Still, nice render!
  • YaricYaric0 Posts: 0Member

Aye, I guess that's why I said might. Couldn't really tell. I think maybe what is really catching my eye is the fact the bussards are generating light and even casting light on the ship yet the top/edge of the bussard is dark which really shouldn't be possible. I'm guessing it stems from the way the light effects are added to the model in max which are basically just pasted on top of the render. I always just turn that crap off and illuminate it differently either with the texture or a light.

And yes, trying to tell you how compositing works is like telling the sun how nuclear fusion works, lol.

Animator, I'm not 100% familiar with what picture you are trying to emulate but I think you are probably on the right track of trying to over expose portions of the ship but like I am saying I bet it would look better if you changed how you are getting the original illuminations and then over expose it in photoshop or after effects.