Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DSpaceship (name unknown)

deadmasterdeadmaster61 Posts: 18Member
edited May 2013 in Work in Progress #1
Welcome.

In my free time i start modeling spaceship (no name yet) with a view to moving into space and search new planet for the people who get on board.
So as you can guess the earth is gone, maybe not gone, but after exhausting all possible resources, people must leave earth.
Over the years, were sent into orbit parts of this spaceship, after completing the construction of the ship along with the rest of the remaining population of the earth set off on a long trip (like "Destiny" in Stagate: Universe).

That is the story :D

Plan as such does not exist, so the ship is constantly changing.

Renders:
34726422.jpg

77011527.jpg

85866352.jpg

88318442.jpg

28310053.jpg

76849473.jpg

56683615.jpg

With Solar Arrays.

Renders:
21633210.jpg

35242622.jpg

63216836.jpg

('4 residential modules for workers from back side of the ship.

80455823.jpg

94090897.jpg

46896491.jpg

For this moment the model has a more than 800k polys.

I used for this project many different blueprints and my imagination. And put this together to build one big space ship.

deadmaster

PS.There are no residential section at the front of the ship and space shuttles yet.
101261.jpg
Post edited by deadmaster on
Tagged:

• deadmasterdeadmaster61 Posts: 18Member
    I make a scale render.. to show how big this spaceship is.

fullbodyp.jpg

Full size image:
    10344x2264
    http://imageshack.us/a/img836/4416/fullbodyp.jpg

spaceship spec:

height - 148 meters
    length - 764 meters
    width - 240 meters

man on the render is 2 meters high.
  • bbzwbbzwbbzwbbzw1 Posts: 0Member
    That looks great, reminds me of the ship from Avatar.
  • SaquistSaquist1 Posts: 0Member
    What sort of engines does it have and what is it's speed?
  • StonecoldStonecold331 Posts: 0Member
    Amazing. Simply amazing.
  • ElowanElowan0 Posts: 0Member
    Scorpion would seem a good name for this one
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    very cool, think i know which image inspired your engine. i have also used that image for inspiration on my solar 1 ramjet's engine. that is a really cool model.
  • DarkSapiensDarkSapiens174 Posts: 0Member
    Very nice looking design :)

But I must say one thing:
    I'm assuming the huge radiators in the front of the ship are imitating the ones in the interstellar ship seen in Avatar. If so, those are there to vent the incredible amount of heat from the engines the ship uses, which are in the front rather than in the back because this design allows for a lower mass of the ship structure. But if the nozzles are in the same place in your ship (which they seem to be), then their exhaust, composed of a lot of relativistic particles, goes directly into the solar panels. Thus, I would recommend rotating them 90 degrees along the ship's axis so they are out of the way ;)

EDIT: I was going to add this link but I forgot: http://james-camerons-avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Interstellar_Vehicle_Venture_Star#Matter-Antimatter_engines
    Hi.

@bbzwbbzw - the front radiators are very similar like those from avatar

@Stonecold- thanks :)

@spacefighter - thanks, can i find on this forum your ship with this engine?

@Saquist - I tried to think about everything as accurately as possible, and not think too much about the engine and the speed.
    But the rear engine is the antimatter-engine, planning a modeling of two engines on the front(not sure yet).
    About the speed I can not even say anything because I do not know yet how solar arrays will move, at high speed they would just fall off.

@Elowan - Scorpion is realy a good name :D

@DarkSapiens - Yes, radiators on front are modeled on those from the Avatar, but I do not know, maybe I delete them because I have a very powerful engine in the back,
    but there is also the possibility of smaller engines in front for the slow and peaceful journey... but I have to figure out how to do this because i want to make from four of this small domes on front places to produce oxygen (like oxygen rooms from Icarus 2 from movie "Sunshine" (2007))

i know there is too many "but" in thi project :D

Damian
    @spacefighter - thanks, can i find on this forum your ship with this engine?
    look in my history of space fighters WIP thread (on this site)near the end for my take on that engine, the original image i drew inspiration from can be found on a google image search(cannot remember what term).
    from the look of your ship, the radiators and solar panels are not in the way of any engine exhausts because i assumed that the engine was at the back where the pipe work is whilst the radiators are at the front, they may be at risk from debris though unless you have force fields or some kind of forward shield.
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    Hi All.

@spacefighter - front radiator has nothing to do with the engine from back, those are for the engines on front (those engines are not exist yet)
    Also I thought about force field (used when ship go fast (use back engine)), front shields (used when front engines are running) and some cover on the back engine(used all the time)

@colbmista - yes i used this concept to build my engine (but is not 100% identical :) )

Here I showed how the solar arrays gonna be moving before ship goes faster:

solararrays1.gif

deadmaster (Damian)
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann631 Posts: 1,287Member
    Thinking perhaps Akomeogi for the name of the ship. It's a style of Japanese folding hand fan that the solar arrays resemble. Maybe there's even some hinoki in there (wood that they used in the fans, which caught my eye because of the movie Hinokio which featured a robot protagonist with hinoki wood to keep its' weight down).
    deadmaster wrote: »
    Here I showed how the solar arrays gonna be moving before ship goes faster:

Oh, and they turn to the position I was proposing, actually. Neat! :)
    Oh, and they turn to the position I was proposing, actually. Neat! :)
    yes I used Your idea :)

Solar Arrays will be open only when the engines are turned off, thats the plan. :)
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    I don't think it wise to have the vital panels waiting ouside the protective zone of that ring. If they were tilted the toher direction, towards the center, they're safe from interstellar matter impacts.
    deadmaster wrote: »
    About the speed I can not even say anything because I do not know yet how solar arrays will move, at high speed they would just fall off.

Oh, for some reason I missed the post where you said that. Actually if the acceleration is slow to reach those high speeds, the solar panels would not fall off (it's the accelerations that would matter). The problem with high speed (getting close to the speed of light) is that the interstellar medium gets rammed and is felt by the ship as a huge amount of relativistic particles, i.e. radiation that could damage the systems or even erode the front of the ship.

About the solar panels rotation before folding and unfolding, I just realised that to make it more realistic, they should be in a plane perpendicular to the radiators. This way, you have the panels facing the sun but the radiators (which you don't want to get more heat from the outside) are edge-on. They do this in the International Space Station, for example. So maybe in your ship they should be fixed in the vertical position, if you keep the radiators?
    Solar arrays will be used only when the engines are turned off.

Probably only when you are in orbit around the planet.

And the panels can move / rotate in different directions.

testwk.gif
    Small Update:
    I rebuilt the residential Sections so that they can be rotated:

32583870.jpg
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Nice work. This is a really cool looking model so far. :)
    nice animations.
  • BorklessBorkless171 Posts: 0Member
    Wow! that is extremely cool. (quite a fan of the massive girder spaceships, and realspace in general) I love all the truss detail and the detailing of the habitats and so on.

But, and I feel kinda jerkish for pointing this out, the forward radiators are in the wrong place. Since they're not symmetric to the center of mass, they'd make the ship bottom-heavy, so she'd always be wanting to pitch down.
  • StonecoldStonecold331 Posts: 0Member
    Borkless wrote: »
    But, and I feel kinda jerkish for pointing this out, the forward radiators are in the wrong place. Since they're not symmetric to the center of mass, they'd make the ship bottom-heavy, so she'd always be wanting to pitch down.
    I second this. Wanted to say the same from the beginning, but held back, since I`m allready regarded as some sort of "realism freak" lol.
    Hi.

Front Radiators has not yet been attached:
    9notattachet.jpg

so i put them there without a reason(now i work without them), they will be put on the correct place when I finish middle sections of the ship.
    I decided to keep the front engines on my ship, so another little update.

I need to add more detail on the engines, and figure out how to connect the radiators with a dome.

27618513.jpg

43027404.jpg
    although some of my designs ignore issues with centre of mass and thrust vectors, i think it looks better now the radiators are in the new position, not just because it looks more realistic but also because i prefer the new shape, bear in mind that radiators will not neccessarily be particularly massive in comparison with other parts of the ship. i also like the girder and truss work, hte pipes to and from the radiators add some nice extra detail.
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    are you going to add a module that has probes attached to it so u can launch probes at interesting locations?
    colbmista wrote: »
    are you going to add a module that has probes attached to it so u can launch probes at interesting locations?
    nice idea
    colbmista wrote: »

After your post I need to add modules with probes ... because it is a great idea.

Some update of the engines (still not finish)
    72965721.jpg

43670517.jpg

PS. any ideas on the name of the ship? :)

deadmaster
    Another small update.

Every day I'm closer the end of modeling :)

I modeled shuttles to transport people to a new planet.

Shuttles are based on the "Valkyrie" from Avatar so they are very similar, but mine are very little detailing (there are be far away).

83624524.jpg

deadmaster
  • BorklessBorkless171 Posts: 0Member
    Looks cool, as always. Love all the intricate detail around the waist. But why are the shuttles docked belly down? instead of cutting though the heat-shield and complicating cargo offloading, why not have them dock on their backs, so their bellies face outward?