Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

how can i render faster with blender

spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
in blender

i have turned off ray tracing,environment lighting,subdivision,sky and halo rendering,put antialiasing on lowest setting,turned off subsurface scattering and environment map,made my rendered image as small as i dare,set threads to the value which appears to produce the fastest renders,done the same with tile size,turned off ambient occlusion indirect lighting mist and stars,lowered my subdivisions and modifiers...

but still my render for a 720x576 frame of animation takes 2 minutes, my geometry is complex and most(80%) of the render time is taken up with "preparing scene data". how do i speed this up, please help, thanks.

i have posted this on some other sites but i am really desperate for an answer. thanks
Post edited by spacefighter on
Tagged:

• CoolhandCoolhand283 Mountain LairPosts: 1,294Member
    whats up with wanting speed over anything else?

you can do real-time rendering with the blender game engine, also lots of software have 'render previews' which look like crap but render quickly if you want to see what something will look like before spending hours or days, weeks.... rendering a sequence.

how about also using a faster processor, more processors, GPU's, more machines networked together and so on... rendering is one of the few things in computing that easily benefits from massive parallelism.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    I was going to suggest more processing power, specifically more cores, and more RAM. That and a good cooling system. Those are the best ways to increase render speeds, in my opinion. I'm in the same position as Coolhand, I prefer not to sacrifice quality for speed. I've done animations with frame render times a lot longer than 2 minutes. But, I wasn't about to turn off prettiness settings to get faster times.
  • MaxxRushMaxxRush180 Posts: 168Member
    Ditto to what both Coolhand and evil_genius say. I have a quad-core processor (AMD) and 8gb of DDR1666 RAM, and I still get 10-15 minutes for a render, with roughly 250k faces (so far), AO, 4x AA, Ray Tracing, and all the other stuff to make it look good, and I render at my monitor's native resolution of 1920x1080. I prefer quality over speed, and as Coolhand said, Blender does have a render preview button that'll do a quickie (but rather crap-looking) render in a few seconds. Just click the icon with a camera in it at the top of your screen (or wherever you have the main header)

For single-shot full renders, I start to render, make sure it's looking at least something like I envision shortly after it starts, then go outside for a smoke, or surf the web while it renders. If I'm doing an animation, I set it all up, then start rendering before going to bed or to work, and just let it run. There's not much else you can do, unless you can spend the money.

My videocard is a Radeon (7970HD 3gb), which doesn't help much at all. If I were using an nVidia card, I could use CUDA to help speed up rendering, but I prefer AMD/ATI. Stepping up to a hexacore or octocore processor would help quite a bit, but that's not in the cards until next tax refund.