Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DNemesis Drydock

tobiasrichtertobiasrichter333 Posts: 0Member
edited May 2013 in Work in Progress #1
A couple of late nights and a weekend and the Nemesis drydock is almost done - only the middle complex to be done and then of course texturing.

nemdd_wip_01.jpg

www.thelightworks.com/wip/nemdd/nemdd_wip_01.jpg

nemdd_wip_02.jpg

www.thelightworks.com/wip/nemdd/nemdd_wip_02.jpg
101025.jpg
Post edited by tobiasrichter on
Tagged:

• kippakippa0 Posts: 0Member
    Lovely work. Have you ever thought of dabbling with modelling star wars models like the imperial star destroyer?
  • lennier1lennier1913 Posts: 1,280Member
    Sweet!
    Are you planning to add some low-poly workbees as well?
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    good model, are you going to try some of the other stuff from nemesis as well( if you model the valdore or scimitar i would very much like a copy(in obj or blender)(thanks)). your panelling and surface shapes on the dock are excellent and the lighting is nice.
  • tobiasrichtertobiasrichter333 Posts: 0Member
    kippa - I have done my share on Star Wars model about 15 years ago, I still love the designs of the first trilogy, the ones of the prequels not so much. I wouldnA’t know where to use the models... And I surely wouldnA’t try a star destroyer, because I would always compare it with Ansels, and IA’m not sure I want to model that kind of detail :)

lennier - I probably stick with the "old" workbees - the new ones arenA’t that different and the original ones will do the job pretty nicely. But who knows...

spacefighter - no, I do not plan to build any other models. I like the Valdore, but so far I have no project where I could use it. And I really donA’t like the Scimitar - I will never ever touch that.
    The way you're working your way through Trek's iconic models it's probably only a matter of time until you'll be collecting reference images for the mushroom starbase.
    Maybe... - I did that monster a couple of years back, but still in Nurbs. That would need some serious rebuilding, probably easier to start new.
  • SaquistSaquist1 Posts: 0Member
    spacefighter - no, I do not plan to build any other models. I like the Valdore, but so far I have no project where I could use it. And I really donA’t like the Scimitar - I will never ever touch that.

What is it about the Scimitar that you dislike?
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    It has been that long since I saw Nemesis I don't even remember there being a drydock sequence. If the Scimitar was the main Reman ship I can understand Tobias not wanting to touch it, it is in my own opinion one of the ugliest most ill conceived starship designs in all of Trekdom, it just doesn't look like anything, has no strong lines, has sharp blade like elements and then a blocky front end that just don't sit well together, just all kinds of bad. The Romulan Valdore was quite a nice design though, a nice mix of the bigger Warbirds and a lighter Klingon Bird of Prey style vessel.
    TALON_UK wrote: »
    It has been that long since I saw Nemesis I don't even remember there being a drydock sequence.
    Remember those scenes aboard the Enterprise after the battle was over? First they grieve for Data, then there's a cut and we see the ship in drydock in Earth orbit undergoing repairs (e.g., a new front for the saucer). In the following video, someone replaced the audio with a track from TMP, but the visuals should jog your memory: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iViSIEaQEds
  • Chris2005Chris2005678 Posts: 3,097Member
    Now I have the urge to watch Nemesis, lol.

Are you gonna build the Enterprise E to go in this drydock? :)
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC 12GB
    1TB NVMe SSD, 2 x 1GB SATA SSD, 4TB external HDD
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • tommygdawgtommygdawg0 Posts: 0Member
    Fantastic. Love your work. Do you model with the intent of subdividing? Or do you just do any smoothing and such by hand?
  • VALKYRIE013VALKYRIE013547 Posts: 1,473Member
    Looks like an excellent start sir! and.. I can see an Enterprise E on the horizon to put in to her!

Ever thought of doing ships from the book series? like the Luna or Aventine?
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1664 CaliforniaPosts: 1,940Member
    I've been working on one of these too. There is of course that very difficult to see, large connecting thingy that hangs down from the center top and attaches to the Enterprise E just behind or around the bridge.
    Saquist - itA’s just an ugly ship, sort of Bird of Prey on steroids, but not in a good way.
    tommy - It depends on the type of model. With these hard edged stuff I tend to build it all with bevels modelled in, so no subdividing. The DD already has close to 1 million polys.
    Chris - no E for now - something else will be in that drydock - although I have an E in my library thats still quite ok.
    Valkyrie - I love to make book covers. There already is an excellent model of the Aventine made by Mark Rademaker. And the Luna - well, letA’s see.... :)
    Brandenberg - yes, that "thing" is really hard to grasp. IA’ll probably take a bit of artistic license. It wonA’t be the only drydock of that kind the federation hast, so slight differences should be no problem.
  • VALKYRIE013VALKYRIE013547 Posts: 1,473Member
    great... gonna blow my Luna and Aventine out the water!! :) thats okay!!
    TALON_UK wrote: »
    It has been that long since I saw Nemesis I don't even remember there being a drydock sequence. If the Scimitar was the main Reman ship I can understand Tobias not wanting to touch it, it is in my own opinion one of the ugliest most ill conceived starship designs in all of Trekdom, it just doesn't look like anything, has no strong lines, has sharp blade like elements and then a blocky front end that just don't sit well together, just all kinds of bad. The Romulan Valdore was quite a nice design though, a nice mix of the bigger Warbirds and a lighter Klingon Bird of Prey style vessel.
    i love the bird of prey(klingon) and the valdore, but also i think the scimitar is seriously cool because it is so menacing. the dry dock seqeunce in nemesis is right at the end.
  • SaquistSaquist1 Posts: 0Member
    Saquist - itA’s just an ugly ship, sort of Bird of Prey on steroids, but not in a good way.

Aside from the WMD of the week I thought it was an incredibly detail model. I don't find either ship particularly elegant. The Norexan just looked silly with the super thin wings and pylons curving out for no reason I could find.

Regardless of these models John Eaves does seem to have a better knack for alien ships than Human.
    The attack ship and the Dominion Battle Cruisers are two ships I hope you add to your DS9 Duo.
  • LonewriterLonewriter236 Posts: 1,078Member
    Nice job as usual.
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Really nice work on the dock.
    Look forward to seeing some pic with her.
    Finally done with modelling on that beast. Since we never see the actual opening on that middle structure, my guess was that it holds lots of hangars and supply material - for a quick access from the ship. Came in short under 1 million polys, so IA’m happy with it.

nemdd_wip_03.jpg

www.thelightworks.com/wip/nemdd/nemdd_wip_03.jpg

nemdd_wip_04.jpg

www.thelightworks.com/wip/nemdd/nemdd_wip_04.jpg

nemdd_wip_05.jpg

www.thelightworks.com/wip/nemdd/nemdd_wip_05.jpg
    Sweet!
    IIRC the only thing which shows the inside of that connector is one of John's old sketches: http://johneaves.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/space-dock2.jpg (blog entry).
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann631 Posts: 1,287Member
    Am I the only one who sees one of those ribbon faucets when I look at the middle section? Or, you know, a tongue?
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Looking great as always, Tobias. I like what you came up with for the connector. Do you have a Sovereign-class to put in there for some cool renders?
    Amazing. Always Amazing. :thumb:
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Really nice work.

The connector is a funny shape as it dose not look like it can move away from a ship to much.
    But that how the original model is.
    very good with nice but simple greebling.
    Finished with texturing... A few tweaks here and there, but overall itA’s done.
    Overall polycount slightly below 1 Million. 3 4k texture sets.

nemdd_01.jpg

www.thelightworks.com/wip/nemdd/nemdd_01.jpg

nemdd_02.jpg

www.thelightworks.com/wip/nemdd/nemdd_02.jpg

nemdd_03.jpg

www.thelightworks.com/wip/nemdd/nemdd_03.jpg

nemdd_04.jpg

www.thelightworks.com/wip/nemdd/nemdd_04.jpg

nemdd_05.jpg

www.thelightworks.com/wip/nemdd/nemdd_05.jpg
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Great stuff, as usual. :)
  • TralfazTralfaz412 Posts: 846Member
    Tis' a thing of beauty.
    Ok so that's just super cool! Thanks for sharing it.