Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

sketchup models into blender

recently a service i used to convert sketchup files into 3ds and obj for blender import was ruined by some profiteering mother f***er. fortunately for me i have found a new and completely free way to convert from the wonderful and intuitive modelling software that is sketchup to the complex but also very good animating software of blender. here is how...

1. download this plugin for sketchup
http://www.kerkythea.net/joomla/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=42&func=fileinfo&id=112 follow the simple instructions on that page and in the txt file inside the zip you download. just copy the folder and the rb file into the sketchup plugins directory

2.now open sketchup a small pop up box should have appeared with some brightly coloured buttons, do not press any of them yet.

3. then separate out all the parts of the sketchup model you want to be able to move so they are nice clean distances away from where they should be (as in 3metres, 5m, 10m or whatever) this is because the grouping structure of sketchup will not be preserved in the translation process.
Attachment not found.

4. then save the sketchup file in sketchup

5.now press the first button on the new toolbar marked "export model to kerkythea"

6.select the options as shown here
Attachment not found.
if the image is blurred then the options are as follows
geometry "yes"
lights "no"
clay "no"
photomatched "no"
default uvs "yes"
instanced "no"

7.click "ok" then give the file a name

8.click "save" then wait

9.on the box that now pops up click "yes"

10.then a file browser labelled "LOCATE kerkythea program , PLEASE" appears, click "cancel"

11.now we have the file in kerkythea format here comes the next step

12. find the file using my documents and copy the xml document into the folder where the textures of your model have been saved(that folder will be in the same folder asthe xml file and named TX_(file name of xml)

13. download this file http://www.nicetuna.com/kt2obj

14.extract the .zip file into a new folder

15.open a file browser and go to where you left the xml file

16. right click and copy it

17.go to the folder where you extracted the zip file to and select the file "jkt2obj" it is an MS-DOS batch file

18. right click then paste

19.click run on the pop up window (scan for viruses first if you wish)

20. wait until the command prompt window displays "press any key to continue"

21.press a key then open up the folder containing the old xml file, an obj and mtl file will have appeared in that folder

22.open blender

23. import the new obj file

post here or PM me if you need any help
Tagged: