Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DRomulan Bird of Prey [WIP]

peppermanpepperman0 Posts: 0Member
edited March 2013 in Work in Progress #1
Been a low poly modeler using Milkshape for a number of years now and finally decided to move up. As I continued to experiment and learn more of 3d Max’s features (older version), I decided to give the Romulan Bird of Prey a go. I did this recently for the Star Trek gaming community but I thought I’d try it again and bounce some ideas off you folks in the process. Now according to the blueprints I am using (www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/romulan-bird-of-prey.php) there are some 34 space sensor arrays and 2 long range sensor arrays oriented on the top face of the hull. Unfortunately, the blueprints don’t provide much detail on them. I guess one could conclude they are recessed. Now I got to thinking about security cameras and how the ship might look with a series of dome shaped sensor arrays, mimicking the smoked-glass domes one sees around security cameras. I am assuming I’d make a series of spheres and then Boolean them into the hull. Now should one go this route, what pitfalls do I need to avoid in setting them up. Your insight would be appreciated.
100733.jpg
100734.png
100735.jpg
Post edited by pepperman on
Tagged:

• spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    nice, i think there are other nicer ships but it is good to see this one here. i like your idea of smoked glass style parts.
  • peppermanpepperman0 Posts: 0Member
    nice, i think there are other nicer ships but it is good to see this one here. i like your idea of smoked glass style parts.

Oh, I agree. I have my eyes set on one of Altom's design...his version of the Romulan Bird of Prey as my next project.
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    when i was thinking of nicer ships i really meant the valdore(beautiful) the d deridex(interesting) the scimitar(from star trek nemesis) and the modern style curvy bird of prey. what is altom's design , nice all the same.
  • StarshipStarship464 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    So, now youA’re a 3dsmax user too... Welcome to the team Mr. Pepper. ;)
    Are you using GMAX, or other version? It will prevent us in help you by the wrong way. ;)

My advice is: donA’t use the boolean tool to join the spheres with the hull. ItA’isnA’t really necessary. You can build one half sphere and later use the array tool to align all copies over the hull. The boolean tool can give you a headtache and let you with a big amount of verts and faces to correct, especially when using older versions of 3ds max. ;) But... if youA’re planning to cut the hull and do the interiors, youA’ll need other approach, using the boolean tool or manually cutting the holes in the hull. ;)

If youA’re looking for great tuts too, I can suggest the ones posted bay Madkoifish and Grant Warwick. ;)
    Using version 5 of Max...I know, try not to laugh.

I have taken a good look at the tutorials by Madkoifish and found them to be useful. I will investigate Grant Warwick's in short order.

Imagine the sphere cut into two halves. That said, is there a simple way to align that plane with the face it will get connected to.
  • VALKYRIE013VALKYRIE013547 Posts: 1,473Member
    Nice to see you move up in the world :)

its looking nice ! the TOS BOP is a great simple start for ya!
    Thanks Valkyrie! Lots to learn to be sure.
  • StarshipStarship464 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    pepperman wrote: »
    Using version 5 of Max...I know, try not to laugh.
    I wonA’t laugh, and thereA’s no reason to be ashamed. Look at Rob (xFozzboute) wips and meshes. He uses max 6 and does a MAGNIFIC work. If you how to use the tool, you can do great things, no matter the version of the tool. ;)
    pepperman wrote: »
    I have taken a good look at the tutorials by Madkoifish and found them to be useful. I will investigate Grant Warwick's in short order.

Imagine the sphere cut into two halves. That said, is there a simple way to align that plane with the face it will get connected to.

This video can help you: http://www.cgmeetup.net/home/using-the-align-tool-3ds-studio-max-general/?repeat=w3tc

You can also use a script (youA’ll need to verify if itA’s compatible with max 5): http://www.itoosoft.com/freeplugins/glue.php

Also check Alejo GrigeraA’s site for usefull and general tuts about 3ds max. ;)
  • Judge Death.Judge Death.1 Posts: 0Member
    Starship wrote: »
    I wonA’t laugh, and thereA’s no reason to be ashamed. Look at Rob (xFozzboute) wips and meshes. He uses max 6 and does a MAGNIFIC work. If you how to use the tool, you can do great things, no matter the version of the tool. ;)

This video can help you: http://www.cgmeetup.net/home/using-the-align-tool-3ds-studio-max-general/?repeat=w3tc

You can also use a script (youA’ll need to verify if itA’s compatible with max 5): http://www.itoosoft.com/freeplugins/glue.php

Also check Alejo GrigeraA’s site for usefull and general tuts about 3ds max. ;)
    Good choice, this ship was sadly neglected by star trek's later versions. An update would have been cool.