Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

pc component speculation

anystaranystar0 Posts: 0Member
edited March 2013 in General Discussion #1
looking to build a new machine soon.

anyone have any motherboard or cpu recommendations?

(hoping to keep those 2 under $500ish for the pair)
Post edited by anystar on

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    I'd suggest an AMD 8-core processor. They pack a wallop at significantly lower prices than Intel charges. I upgraded to one of those on a Cyber Monday sale back in November and my render times are so friggin' fast. Here's what I'm running:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1239958&Sku=A79-8120
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2932738&CatId=7248

Even not on sale, that's well within your budget. Though, if I were buying now, I'd probably go with this processor:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4904561&Sku=A79-8350

It's significantly more powerful and not much more in price. For the motherboard, I'd suggest looking at product reviews. The one I have is good, but I don't know what your specific needs are. It doesn't have onboard graphics, but that's not a problem for me. I'm a gamer, so I already had a badass graphics card from my previous build. If you're not a gamer, you may want to look for a board with onboard graphics. That will likely suit your 3D needs. Though, whatever you get, make sure it's compatible with the processor. ;)
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9791 Posts: 5,322Member
    AMD 8350 or intel 3570k

They both trade punches are unlocked procs and appear the feature the best of both camps. Price is (at tiger direct) within a 10usd delta. (30usd at newegg) The intel has more options in mobos exp in the micro ATX side of things. AMD micros are a lower end chipset 770) BUT amd has things like full sata3 where intel has 2 sata3 with the rest being sata2 unless it is a add on chip.

These 2 procs I think are the bang for the bucks from either camp. Def go for one of those closed loop water coolers though like a 100i from corsair exp for the amd. Also consider a high end PSU for either. (nothing sub 100usd) It is the area I see more people goof and have issues later on.

I am not sure where the FX socket falls into things with AMD so maybe some one else can chime in.

Tigerdirect for the US has the better prices on the 2 procs last I looked (170~190usd). Mobo will likely be the factor that will screw with price. Any where from 60usd to 400usd. Intel boards for atx tend to lean on the more expensive side for the features. Chipsets you should look for are, intel z77 (or wait for the z78) and the 990fx for AMD.

You could go up to a 2011 or a 1155 i7 (3770k 330usd) and that would haul the price up. It is do able with a 3770 though, you would just have to skimp a bit on the mobo. I think the AMD pretty much tops out at the 8350 but it is a true 8 core and you have a lot to play with for the mobo, like a ASUS formula-z (280usd).

I wouldn't rely only on onboard gfx if your doing any 3d modeling. You will need the gfx cards for your viewport performance. However with these 2 cpus you have options to utilize the onboard gfx for other things. This often depends on the mobo feature set. I think most Gygabyte boards feature a gpu compute feature to for example use the intel gpu to process video rendering since it is known to be better optimized.

For me personally I am looking at that 8350 since those 8 full cores vs 4 cores with hyper threading might give a performance edge in 3d apps. Only thing holding me back is mobo choice since I would like to aim at matx for a smaller case since I already have way too many computers in my workspace.
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    my motherboard and processor cost me Aï¿¡320, which you should be able to find for well under $500

i7 3770k
    gigabyte z77-d3h
    MadKoiFish wrote: »
    I wouldn't rely only on onboard gfx if your doing any 3d modeling. You will need the gfx cards for your viewport performance.

Good point. Since loathe onboard graphics for gaming, I don't use them and then tend to forget that 3D CGI apps also need that kind of graphics support (because I already have it.) So, yeah, scratch onboard graphics.

With a nice AMD CPU (like that 8350) and a decent but not overpriced motherboard, you could get those and a graphics card and still be under $500. You could even probably throw in some sticks of DDR3 RAM because that stuff is dirt cheap these days. Also, depending on how much you like fan noise, you may want to throw in a few extra $ on a CPU cooler. But, that goes for AMD or Intel. A lot of people whine about stock CPU coolers, especially the "noisy" fans. Me, I have 3 case fans, my CPU fan, graphics card fan and 2 fans in my PSU. So, I'm used to fan noise. ;)
  • MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    The "true 8-core" thing with the AMD Bulldozer and Piledriver is a little more complicated than that.

It does have 8 cores, but it only has 4 FPUs, each one shared by two cores.
    So for floating point intensive work will be closer to a quad core than an 8-core.

That's not to say they don't offer great value, the FX 8350 seems very closely matched by the 2600K when it comes to multithreaded rendering performance, but like you said is substantially cheaper.

But if you're looking at it just because of the "8" cores...might not be worth it
  • anystaranystar0 Posts: 0Member
    thanks for all the input fellas. this morning i was almost going to go with this combo pack from tiger
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7473188&Sku=M69-0827
    was doing one last lookover, and realized i hadnt even looked to see if it had any IDE parallel connectors (i still have one of my HDs and my dvd burner on ide).

the board i have now has 2 sata and 2 ide inputs, i guess i'll just HAVE to get me a fancy new 1.5tb ssd... hahaha :)
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    my new board came without IDE too, so I had to ditch one of my old hard drives, but it's old tech now anyway and you won't find many boards with it
    That looks like a good combo, anystar. :)
    IRML wrote: »
    my new board came without IDE too, so I had to ditch one of my old hard drives, but it's old tech now anyway and you won't find many boards with it

Yeah, me too. My old one had 2 SATA and 1 IDE, my newer one has 6 or 8 SATA and no IDE.

Though, if you want to use those old hard drives, you can get an external enclosure that connects to the USB port. They're not very expensive. One of these days, I'm going to get one for my old IDE 80GB HDD. I figure that will be good for backing up 3D projects and other important stuff. :)
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9791 Posts: 5,322Member
    They sell sata to ide adapters. I wouldn't use it on a burner though. These allow you to at least retain the ide hdds inside the pc. It is how I carried over my old drives. I wouldn't use it as a boot drive though since most if not all ide drives are far slower than anything on sata due to age. My 2tb drives get sustained reads of 220mbps where my fastest ide is down in the 100s.

Do like one of the reviewers and get a second stick of ram.
    Each day we draw closer to the end.