Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DCTS Andrasta

2»

• emacemac1 Posts: 0Member
    This is the first example of real-world docking systems I've seen illustrated in 3d along with detailed explanations of their workings. I always wondered how the guides worked when the seals were fully seated. Your model is amazing, it is no wonder it was mistaken for the real thing. Kudos!

Have you ever looked at the Project Rho - Atomic Rockets site? http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/index.php
    Your docking assemblies would complement that site well.
  • BorklessBorkless171 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks! The docking system was, surprisingly, not that hard. There's a crazy amount of pieces, yes, but all of them do fairly simple jobs, and are fairly simple shapes. And, to give credit where credit's due, I borrowed a lot of the research from Mikey-B's superb Contact Lost thread. He's got a lot of real-space goodness with just a dash of scifi.

Also, the model that was mistaken for the real thing was the ILIDs that Mikey-B designed. (it's in the first few renders, but my UADS is an originalish design.)

And I used to pour over Atomic Rockets. There's no one thing that I can point to, but reading that site has definitely impacted my designs. It's flattering to have my stuff considered on that level. Cheers!
    UPDATE:
    I did more work on the RCT clusters. Now there's some grit and mottling, as well as properly aligned panels and plenty of Torx screws holding it all together. I also changed the orientation of the rotational thrusters. Now the outboard one fires "up" and the inner one fires "out." This means there's no conflict where the thruster machinery tries to fit in the same space, and prevents thrust exhaust from smudging up the paint.
    6fnlBou.jpg

I also tossed a very WIP texture on the command pod proper. I'm pretty happy with the panel line layout, but it also seems a lot darker, grimeier, and steampunkier than I really wanted, so I'm going to revisit this in the future.
    YbtHrw4.jpg

I also built a newer, smaller docking system. Known as the MDS (Modular Docking System or Military Docking System, depending on who you ask) This port is fully androgynous, like the larger UADS, but replaces a fully sprung soft-capture ring with three sprung petals. The petals are lighter, and serve well enough for the capture of smaller craft like that which would use a MDS port.
    7dIWEtU.jpg
    EUED8xG.jpg
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Nice work. I like the details on the thrusters. Everything else looks good too. :)
  • Mikey-BMikey-B0 Posts: 0Member
    Sucks you have to start over but looking good so far. Maybe if you thin the panel lines and lighten them up a bit, you'll get a more subtle effect. Like just a few shades darker than the base hull. Then take all the panels and vary the colors slightly.
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    looking awesome.
    UPDATE: did another go on the command pod textures. Brought down the contrast on the panel lines, got rid of the bolts entirely, and added more text and warning labels. Red hazard stripes keep anyone on EVA from getting to close to the fore translational thrusters' jet-blast zone. (And, ya'know, look cool)

I Should probably add more goodies to the underbelly, but the "top" of the pod is looking very nice if I say so myself. (there's some overflow into the windows, but those will eventually be another transparent material, so there's no real need to fix it)
    Se697bG.jpg
    JG27zlt.jpg

I also scrounged up and tided up what I could from my backup and got the main hull and cargo pod roughed in. Still needs the belly FLT sled, Rocket engines and their shrouds, radiator wings, RCTs, interconects, and back aeroshield, but it's getting there.

- - -
    Mikey-B wrote: »
    Sucks you have to start over but looking good so far. Maybe if you thin the panel lines and lighten them up a bit, you'll get a more subtle effect. Like just a few shades darker than the base hull. Then take all the panels and vary the colors slightly.
    Thanks for the advice! Tried it, and... well see for yourself. Also, I had some of it backed up, and I was planning on rebuilding the engines (probably the most complicated part) anyway. As she stood, Andrasta was using gas-generator cycle engines, with turbopump exhaust simply vented to space. For the rebuild, I'm planning on switching to staged-combustion-cycle engines like the SSMEs for a higher Isp.
    looking awesome.
    Thanks man! Glad to hear it.
    Nice work. I like the details on the thrusters. Everything else looks good too. :)
    Thanks! I really enjoyed all the fiddly bits.
  • Knight26Knight26192 Posts: 838Member
    I really like the changes, looks great, and want to see how the rest comes together
    now you have made these changes what does the ship look like overall, so far i have only seen the forward capsule. nice text on the capsule, good panel lines.
    Looks good. :) If you're going for a look where the nose cone has black heat tiles like on the shuttle or X-37b, then those panel lines will have a nice contrast. From what I've seen, for lighter thermal blankets, the panel lines are more subtle. Here's an example of both types on the X-37B. And here is a great shot of Endeavour docked at ISS. You can see the subtle panel lines of the orbiter's thermal blankets. Of course it depends upon the look you're shooting for, but maybe those pictures will help. :)
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Nice work so far on the textures. :)
    UPDATE:
    Did a lot of work on the main engines. They're Staged-combustion-cycle Regenerativly-cooled semi-hypergolic propellant engines. The meaning of that last bit of technobable, is: the engines run on two fuels that spontaneously combust when combined But to get more than a low smolder, a catylist must be introduced.
    NyCvyJt.jpg
    gNN34e8.jpg

Each engine has two fully-independent single-shaft turbopumps. Each pump consists of (from fore to aft) an oxidizer-rich pre-burner (which generates nearly 80,000 SHP), the fuel turbine, and oxidizer turbine. Each pump feeds from and to unified injector lines, but the engine is fully operational with only one pump. (as a side note, modeling the rats' nest of piping took an inordinately long time. I really should learn how to model with curves.)
    0tKG7Jp.jpg

Andrasta uses four such engines, all fully independent for maximum reliability. She is fully capable of flying even on one engine, though she'll be sluggish and extremely tricky to fly.
    Lf2bTZq.jpg

- - -
    Knight26 wrote: »
    I really like the changes, looks great, and want to see how the rest comes together
    now you have made these changes what does the ship look like overall, so far i have only seen the forward capsule. nice text on the capsule, good panel lines.
    Nice work so far on the textures. :)
    Thanks! I'm really proud of these textures, something I'm still learning and never was very good at. The rest of her is shaping up, and should end up looking largely like what you see in the earliest renders on this thread.
    Mikey-B wrote: »
    Looks good. :) If you're going for a look where the nose cone has black heat tiles like on the shuttle or X-37b, then those panel lines will have a nice contrast. From what I've seen, for lighter thermal blankets, the panel lines are more subtle. Here's an example of both types on the X-37B. And here is a great shot of Endeavour docked at ISS. You can see the subtle panel lines of the orbiter's thermal blankets. Of course it depends upon the look you're shooting for, but maybe those pictures will help. :)
    Thanks for the links, they'll probably come in handy if I ever get around to modeling Anrasta's shuttle. As for the ship itself, Andrasta's not built for intra-atmo work, and shouldn't be spending any time in thick atmospheres. The hull itself is supposed to look more like painted metal than ceramic. Thermal blankets come later, rigged over the hull to cover sensitive components.
  • stephan_skastephan_ska171 Posts: 0Member
    Great work on the thrusters and i guess the texturing will also look great when it's finished.
    It's comming together really nicely! Keep on going :thumb:

S.
  • emacemac1 Posts: 0Member
    Very nice work, though that dude slouching around in the exhaust nozzles is going to get hurt. ;)
  • alonzo11208alonzo11208331 Posts: 0Member
    Bork youve done it again! I really like what you've done here and its a bit of a similar concept I've had with human Pre-FTL ships.

Dont have much criticism at the moment, but Ill keep watching this develop.
    UPDATE:
    Stated work on the belly airlock. It's a bit if a tight fit, but there's room for a suited crewman to step (or stoop) though. Mounted besides the locking crank is an LCD display showing interior status (is there air in there?) that can also be used for displaying any info an EV team might need. A pair of handrails help with the orientation change.
    ae83CqL.jpg
    uBCBrN5.jpg

I also finished up the engine mounts and shrouds. The Shrouds need more detailing, but the engine modeling is pretty much done. Just need to texture them now.
    ZIwPZCG.jpg
    SMbfamc.jpg
    HTb0RF4.jpg

Finally, an all-up render of how she stands right now.
    s4NhlkH.jpg
    - - -
    Great work on the thrusters and i guess the texturing will also look great when it's finished.
    It's comming together really nicely! Keep on going :thumb:

S.
    Thanks, man! Texturing was never by strong suit, but since Andrasta is basically a bunch of tin cans of varying diameters, figured it'd make a good learning project.
    emac wrote: »
    Very nice work, though that dude slouching around in the exhaust nozzles is going to get hurt. ;)
    That's why you don't mess with the skipper's coffee.
    Bork youve done it again! I really like what you've done here and its a bit of a similar concept I've had with human Pre-FTL ships.

Dont have much criticism at the moment, but Ill keep watching this develop.
    Thanks! I don't know why, but I love making realspace-ish things.
    100764.jpg
    Looking good. Some of your attachments aren't showing up unfortunately, but the beauty shot looks nice.
    coming on nicely, good overall. i would probably have something to say about the airlock and engine shrouds but the links do not work, try posting some images in the main body of the post. hope it works out well.
    Well.... ain't that embarrassing. Thought that issues had been fixed. Anyway, changed up hotlinked images, should show up now.
    now i see what you are talking about, brilliant!
    now i see what you are talking about, brilliant!
    Thanks, man!

now, UPDATE:
    did some more work on the engine shrouds. Now there's a receding trapezoidal-lattice-thingy in the front. What does it do you ask? It's part of the FTL drive. How does it work? SCIENCE! (They're pretty well in there, and the render's a little dark, but there in there. I'm planing on adding some glowing stuff later, so it should become more obvious.)
    ukcjcxx.jpg

I also added waist docking ports, added beveled blocks to the hull tapers, and generally busied up the hull. The FTL radiators have also started to come in.
    CsXi2bD.jpg
    bJQ310R.jpg
    Jf0oy9C.jpg

Cheers!
    very good
    Looks like you're recovering your project pretty well. :)