Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Abrams to direct Star Wars VII after all?

lennier1lennier1913 Posts: 1,280Member
edited January 2013 in General Discussion #1
Post edited by lennier1 on
Tagged:

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Great. Now the lightsaber blades will have lens flares. :p
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Well, I recently read an article about the "visionar director JJ Abrams"....

Guess that means another childhood memory will be cannibalised.
  • GuerrillaGuerrilla795 HelsinkiPosts: 2,867Administrator
    Don't really have any issues with the guy as such (I thought Lost kind of sucked, but whatever), but the idea that the people running Star Trek are the same people who do Star Wars feels really weird. :/
    Comco: i entered it manually in the back end
    Join our fancy Discord Server!
  • CoolhandCoolhand287 Mountain LairPosts: 1,296Member
    Lets at least wait for the trailers before deciding how much it stinks.
  • lennier1lennier1913 Posts: 1,280Member
    Trailer? The mandatory "Inception fart" that's sometimes accompanied by a handful of blurry images and lens flares?
    He's not really a bad guy, IMHO. (I was joking with my lightsaber lens flare comment) He's done some stuff I like and some I don't. I thought Lost was weird, but I also didn't see the beginning and that matters on a show like that. However, I like Person of Interest and some of the other TV he's produced and some of his films. As far as him doing Star Wars, I don't know how I feel. I'll wait until I see it to decide.
  • DeksDeks200 Posts: 259Member
    Guerrilla wrote: »
    Don't really have any issues with the guy as such (I thought Lost kind of sucked, but whatever), but the idea that the people running Star Trek are the same people who do Star Wars feels really weird. :/

Not really.
    If you think about it... JJ basically turned nuTrek into Star Wars wanna-be action oriented movie.

Oh how nice would it be to actually see something akin to Star Trek the motion picture... now THAT was more in line with science fiction (and not the space battle fetish I'm seeing all over the place).
    Deks wrote: »
    If you think about it... JJ basically turned nuTrek into Star Wars wanna-be action oriented movie.
  • NanoGatorNanoGator1 Posts: 0Member
    People are actually upset about this development? Seriously?
  • biotechbiotech171 Posts: 0Member
    The only thing that upsets me about this is its probably the nail in the coffin of the Micronauts movie he was meant to be directing.
  • Amon RaAmon Ra0 Posts: 0Member

Aresius wrote: »
    Well, I recently read an article about the "visionar director JJ Abrams"....

Guess that means another childhood memory will be cannibalised.

Agreed.

I am so sick of all these hack directors, for want of a better term, raping and "re-imagining" all these classic movies and television shows. IMHO it's just laziness, instead of coming up with their own, original material they plunder and pillage other people's work.

I knew this would happen when GL sold the franchise to disney, what the h*** was he thinking?!?!? You know we can expect SW to suddenly now take place A long time ago, in a PC galaxy far, far away...

I don't see SW movies to be preached at, and we all know they'll somehow manage to get the political BS in there along with disney's lame toilet humor and fart jokes and more muppets than you can shake a stick at.

Who keeps letting JJA direct anything? Look at that mess they called the "new" ST? Maybe they should get the "re-imagined" BSG doofus RM to come and help crap it up, since he did such a good job destroying BSG.

Goodbye SW, I will remember you fondly.
    Why do you need to remember it fondly? I don't know about you, but I have all of the films on DVD and I have lots of Star Wars books, games and even some comics. So, even if the next 3 films suck, I'll still have Star Wars.
    Amon Ra wrote: »
    I knew this would happen when GL sold the franchise to disney, what the h*** was he thinking?!?!?

What was he thinking? Probably that he's 68 years old and has given 30+ years of his life to this stuff. He doesn't want to do big blockbuster films anymore, he wants to kick back, relax and do smaller scale films. He's filthy rich already and doesn't need the money, but it's still nice to have. Also, he's pledged to give half his fortune to charity, this deal means he can give more. Plus, fanboys have been pestering him to do 3 more films, which he doesn't want to do. At 3 or so years to develop and make and then 3 years in between films, (his average SW record) you're talking about at least another 9 years of his life devoted to just this one thing. I'm sure he has other things he wants to do like spend time with his family and enjoy life. So, he can hand this stuff over to younger and more interested people. Just my best guess, but that's probably what he was thinking.
  • Ares BlackmaneAres Blackmane0 Posts: 0Member
    On the other hand, Abrahms actually likes SW, so perhaps he won't go to such lengths to deconstruct it.
  • GuerrillaGuerrilla795 HelsinkiPosts: 2,867Administrator
    Comco: i entered it manually in the back end
    Join our fancy Discord Server!
  • RayonxRayonx331 Posts: 0Member
    There is no other director out there?????????
    After what he did with ST chewiee can kiss his fury ass good bye....
    This man has no sense of what make sci fi good.
    SW has always been more epic (in a king arthur/fantasy kind of way) than sci fi, so let see what mess JJ can make of it.
    His own stories (cloverfield, super 8) are very good but he is a wrecker when you give him some one else idea to work on.
    You can expect a character design with lots of "i" something feel to it, that make no sense at all.
    A millenium falcon reboot the same way the enterprise was!!!!!
    Make me puke just imagining it....

RIP ST
    RIP SW

I'd rather have Ridley Scott or James Cameron or any of the new "comics" directors doiing it than him!!!!
    Looks like its just me who thinks this is a good idea then.
    biotech wrote: »

I don't think it's a bad idea. I'm interested to see what he can do with it. (I'm open minded) It's not like he's a bad director or anything. At least, not in my opinion. ;)

What worries me more that who will direct it is what story they're going to do and who is going to play the principle characters. IMHO, those are more important concerns than who is going to direct the films.
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    lennier1 wrote: »
    64926_505621579460283_1873145686_n.jpg

i admit his lens flares are pretty bad, he might make a good film he might not. i will probably be able to judge that once i see the trailer. am i the only person who really likes big, cgi space battles?
    am i the only person who really likes big, cgi space battles?

Doesn't everybody? I don't know about you, but I can watch the first few minutes of ROTS over and over again. In fact, I have done that, just to see what all I could spot that I missed in previous viewings. :D

It's funny seeing people talk so much about JJ Abrams using CGI, when George Lucas tends to use way more CGI than JJ Abrams does. At least JJ builds sets. Lucasfilm built 2 sets for ROTS, (Anakin's apartment is one, I forget the other) the rest of the movie was shot entirely on green screen with CGI backgrounds. Meanwhile, for Star Trek, (2009) they did everything they could possibly do in the real world. All of the interiors were sets or building interiors, the ice planet (Delta Vega *shudders*) was a set, they only used CGI for the stuff that they literally couldn't do. Why do you think they used a water treatment plant for some of the Enterprise interiors? So, why are people using CGI like it's a dirty word when the latest 3 Star Wars films have loads of it?

Like Bill Shatner said: "They could be naked on the set of Star Wars and the costumes were added later with CGI." (I may not have gotten the exact wording, but you get the idea) And, yes, he's correct, because the clonetroopers without helmets were the actors filmed in body suits with the armor added later with CGI.

The only things that really bug me about JJ are the lens flares. But, at least they're real flares. He has people intentionally hold lights off camera to create them, they're not added in post.
  • Ares BlackmaneAres Blackmane0 Posts: 0Member
    Abrams himself admits the lens flares in ST:2009 were overdone, he'll hopefully be more careful with them in later productions. Especially in ones that aren't set in so bright future.
  • DeksDeks200 Posts: 259Member
    Doesn't everybody? I don't know about you, but I can watch the first few minutes of ROTS over and over again. In fact, I have done that, just to see what all I could spot that I missed in previous viewings. :D

Actually, I don't.
    At one point they were ok, but the amount of 'space battles' in scifi these days is tiresome.
    Its just shoot to kill, shoot to kill, kill, kill, explode - and that's their solution to EVERYTHING (that's what the entire movie basically comes down to).
    Its idiotic and mind-numbing - no wonder I stopped watching TV and movies 9 years ago completely.
  • SanderleeSanderlee1 Posts: 0Member
    Better Abrams than Michael 'SPLOSIONS Bay

It's funny seeing people talk so much about JJ Abrams using CGI, when George Lucas tends to use way more CGI than JJ Abrams does. At least JJ builds sets. Lucasfilm built 2 sets for ROTS, (Anakin's apartment is one, I forget the other) the rest of the movie was shot entirely on green screen with CGI backgrounds. Meanwhile, for Star Trek, (2009) they did everything they could possibly do in the real world. All of the interiors were sets or building interiors, the ice planet (Delta Vega *shudders*) was a set, they only used CGI for the stuff that they literally couldn't do. Why do you think they used a water treatment plant for some of the Enterprise interiors? So, why are people using CGI like it's a dirty word when the latest 3 Star Wars films have loads of it?

Like Bill Shatner said: "They could be naked on the set of Star Wars and the costumes were added later with CGI." (I may not have gotten the exact wording, but you get the idea) And, yes, he's correct, because the clonetroopers without helmets were the actors filmed in body suits with the armor added later with CGI.

The only things that really bug me about JJ are the lens flares. But, at least they're real flares. He has people intentionally hold lights off camera to create them, they're not added in post.
    yeah i think that the battle sequence at the start of revenge of the sith is one of the best pieces of film i have ever seen, interesting that they avoided cgi so heavily in the star trek(the modern one)film. wouldn't they perhaps do better to use somewhat more of it?
    actually i quite like his transformers 3 film, good action even if the idea is absurd.
    At least JJ Admits he overdid the flares in Star Trek. There are times, especially on the bridge of the Enterprise, where it literally about hurts my eyes. I've seen some of his other films and they have flares, but not that bad.

As for the latest Bayformers debacle, the plot is actually solid. In fact, it's so good that it's one of my favorite episodes of the classic TV series from the 1980s, the epic 3-part episode, The Ultimate Doom. That's right, they didn't even use an original plot. I liked the parts of the film that focused on the Transformers and their plot, but most of the parts that focused on Sam and the other humans were dreadful. I'd like to re-cut that film, I'd take out about an hour of it. :shiner: (but, enough about that garbage)
    Deks wrote: »
    Actually, I don't.
    At one point they were ok, but the amount of 'space battles' in scifi these days is tiresome.
    Its just shoot to kill, shoot to kill, kill, kill, explode - and that's their solution to EVERYTHING (that's what the entire movie basically comes down to).
    Its idiotic and mind-numbing - no wonder I stopped watching TV and movies 9 years ago completely.

Asked and answered. :)

So, in that case, you probably don't care who directs the next SW film. :lol:

Me, I love movies and I do watch some TV (mostly sports and primetime.) I love epic battles. Though, I do prefer when they're done with as little CGI as possible, or none at all. The epic space battles in the original Star Wars trilogy, for example, are awesome. :D
  • NanoGatorNanoGator1 Posts: 0Member

I'm with you on it. I really don't understand the JJ hate, especially in light of how crappy the prequels were. JJ is way better for this role than the other rumored directors that have come up.
    People have selective memory when it comes to the quality of star wars film after ESB and star trek films in general.
    People have selective memory when it comes to the quality of star wars film after ESB and star trek films in general.

That's so true. After all, it's not like everything George Lucas did was gold. Many people hate Jar-Jar Binks to this day. He fracked up the original trilogy and refused to do a new digitally remastered release of the original films, from prior to the 1997 "special editions." (hopefully, Disney will reverse that decision and do a Blu-Ray release of the original films)

As for Star Trek films, I like the 2009 JJ Abrams film as well as I like Generations, Insurrection, Nemesis, (pretty much all of them with a single word, subtitle. ;)) Which is to say, I like it but I don't love it. A lot of people don't like Nemesis, didn't like Enterprise, and were whining about how the franchise needed someone new to take over and needed a rework/reboot, whatever. Then that finally happened and they whine about it too. (you can't win with these people)

But, I digress. You can't change peoples' minds and I wouldn't presume to try. Me, I'm looking forward to seeing what JJ can do with Star Wars. Some of his decisions will likely thrill people, while others will make them cry. But, realistically, it was not any different with George's prequel trilogy.
  • L2KL2K0 Posts: 0Member
    NanoGator wrote: »
    I really don't understand the JJ hate.

easy. jj made the film.
    if it would have been ridley scott, they would hate ridley scott.