Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DTOS Constitution Reboot (Finished)

• Hunter GHunter G1905 Posts: 543Member
    nightfever wrote: »
    I'm following your thread from start and I really like your designs.

On the last image your panel lines are really strong and this makes the saucer look too small in camparison to the detailed bridge. Reminds me more of a mini model than a big scale ship.
    Attachment not found.

Keep up your great work!

Agreed. Originally I was going to make the model compatible for 3d printing and digital renders, but I decided that would be harder than just doing them separately.
    Have you decided on the number and locations of the weapons yet? I do advocate mounting the torpedoes in the engineering hull like all but the original constitution class did.

I'm going to have the fore torpedo launcher above the lower sensor dome, and the aft launcher at the bottom rear of the neck. As far as phasers go, it will be the same setup as the refit, only in addition there will be two heavy cannons above the sensor dome (like in TOS) and two heavy cannons replacing the smaller ones on top of the shuttle bay door area.

To me, the original Constitution is more of a warship that the refit, since there is more tension between factions going on in that era. The small cannons will be the pulse-like cannons you see in the movies, and the heavy cannons will fire a beam, just like in the original series.

Speaking of, I created the sound for the heavy cannons not that long ago. Here is some audio comparing the original sound with the new one (you might be able to tell what I did ;)):

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/15846346/tos_phaser_comparison.wav
  • SaquistSaquist1 Posts: 0Member
    Hunter G wrote: »

To me, the original Constitution is more of a warship that the refit, since there is more tension between factions going on in that era. The small cannons will be the pulse-like cannons you see in the movies, and the heavy cannons will fire a beam, just like in the original series.

Curious, as the Refit and Original had the same number of tubes but the former has 14 phasers in 12 banks and the Original only it's forward arcs (dorsal and ventral) . In a Mirror Darkly incorrectly portrayed aft phasers and torps from the navigational beacon at the rear.

If memory serves the TMP vessel was designed to engage and win against the TMP D-7 Klingon Cruiser.
    -In similar balance Commander Kruge States the Enterprise "Out guns" his Bird of Prey 10:1. Literally the Refit could only be matched by 10 Birds of Prey...Very Impressive. That I would like to see.
  • Judge Death.Judge Death.1 Posts: 0Member
    Saquist wrote: »
    Curious, as the Refit and Original had the same number of tubes but the former has 14 phasers in 12 banks and the Original only it's forward arcs (dorsal and ventral) . In a Mirror Darkly incorrectly portrayed aft phasers and torps from the navigational beacon at the rear.

If memory serves the TMP vessel was designed to engage and win against the TMP D-7 Klingon Cruiser.
    -In similar balance Commander Kruge States the Enterprise "Out guns" his Bird of Prey 10:1. Literally the Refit could only be matched by 10 Birds of Prey...Very Impressive. That I would like to see.

Klingon's tend to exaggerate their enemies power to make their victories seem greater and their defeats seem less disgraceful. Also remember that Torg called the enterprise a "battle cruiser class".

Now if Kruge knew what the enterprise had in gun terms, he knew she had 14 phasers and 2 tubes, he had one tube and 2 disruptors. I suppose if the enterprise had more powerful weapons and the energy to use then you might be able to make that out to be a 10-1 advantage in firepower.

BTW, it was nice to see someone else catch the bit about the defiant in mirror darkly firing from her shuttle craft control room dome.
  • SaquistSaquist1 Posts: 0Member
    Klingon's tend to exaggerate their enemies power to make their victories seem greater and their defeats seem less disgraceful. Also remember that Torg called the enterprise a "battle cruiser class".

Now if Kruge knew what the enterprise had in gun terms, he knew she had 14 phasers and 2 tubes, he had one tube and 2 disruptors. I suppose if the enterprise had more powerful weapons and the energy to use then you might be able to make that out to be a 10-1 advantage in firepower.

BTW, it was nice to see someone else catch the bit about the defiant in mirror darkly firing from her shuttle craft control room dome.

They went out of their way to make the Connie look superior because they had brought all 24th century tech backward in time and were getting slammed by fans and critics... They went hard on the nostalga factor too.

Frankly, Kruge didn't seem like the type to over exaggerate. His strategy was sound. He expected to surprise the Enterprise with her shields down just like he did Grissom. And if the Refit really is 3x as powerful as the D7 according to the TMP Blueprints then 10:1 puts the Bop's at a third the D7's firepower. That's food for thought.
    Actually kruge was an idiot all around.

First he kills a competent and professional spy who managed to steal one of the federations greatest secrets because...she viewed the data she'd stolen to verify it was valid? before delivering it!?!?! Yeah, brilliant there. NOT!

He thought he was going to take enterprise by surprise, after destroying the fed ship that was in the system? Just the absence of the grissom would have been enough to put any fed ship on alert, and kruge should have known that.

Thinking a group of like 6 klingons could take a ship who normally has a crew of over 400? Uh, yeah... BTW, didn't he do a lifeform scan on the enterprise?

Yes, klingon commanders like kruge are what makes starfleet's job a little easier.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Actually kruge was an idiot all around.

First he kills a competent and professional spy who managed to steal one of the federations greatest secrets because...she viewed the data she'd stolen to verify it was valid? before delivering it!?!?! Yeah, brilliant there. NOT!

He thought he was going to take enterprise by surprise, after destroying the fed ship that was in the system? Just the absence of the grissom would have been enough to put any fed ship on alert, and kruge should have known that.

Thinking a group of like 6 klingons could take a ship who normally has a crew of over 400? Uh, yeah... BTW, didn't he do a lifeform scan on the enterprise?

Yes, klingon commanders like kruge are what makes starfleet's job a little easier.

Wow, I literally never even looked at it that way. I even watched that movie again recently and didn't pick up on any of that. When you lay it all out like that, it does sound bad.

Don't forget playing right into Kirk's hands by beaming down alone and leaving one guy on the ship after the rest of his crew bit the dust. Let's see, one guy VS the four you just beamed up. What are the odds they're going to be able to turn the tables on him? Especially given that he wasn't exactly Kruge's favorite to begin with, that's obvious during the scene where they watched the Genesis recording. Plus, you don't leave your best guy on guard duty. ;) Anybody with an ounce of common sense would have just cut his losses about getting Genesis, locked onto Kirk's comm signal and sent a couple of "gifts" his way in the form of photon torpedoes. (Can you imagine the Trekkies crying after that ending? :lol:)
    Well, my version will be more tactical than the refit, unless I add the heavy cannons on the refit as well. Opinions?
    Wow, I literally never even looked at it that way. I even watched that movie again recently and didn't pick up on any of that. When you lay it all out like that, it does sound bad.

Don't forget playing right into Kirk's hands by beaming down alone and leaving one guy on the ship after the rest of his crew bit the dust. Let's see, one guy VS the four you just beamed up. What are the odds they're going to be able to turn the tables on him? Especially given that he wasn't exactly Kruge's favorite to begin with, that's obvious during the scene where they watched the Genesis recording. Plus, you don't leave your best guy on guard duty. ;) Anybody with an ounce of common sense would have just cut his losses about getting Genesis, locked onto Kirk's comm signal and sent a couple of "gifts" his way in the form of photon torpedoes. (Can you imagine the Trekkies crying after that ending? :lol:)

Don't feel bad about not seeing what I did, I just have a brain that's hard wired to hardcore wargaming anhd tactical thinking. And you caught on to the magnitude of kruge's stupidity PDQ. That putz probably didn't even transmit the data he had on geness to the klingon empire before heading off to genesis.

And uncloaking right in front of enterprise's torpedo tubes instead of circling the planet to try coming up behind her, heaven forbid he have done something like that.
    Well, my version will be more tactical than the refit, unless I add the heavy cannons on the refit as well. Opinions?

I'm a little curious as to where you're getting your data from if I may ask. As far as I knew, the phasers on the enteprrise were all the same type. Even the little phaser arrays on the back on the D were listed as being the same class as the main phasers, just covering a smaller arc but the same output.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone say the original anterprise had different caliburs, grades or whatever of phasers.
    Don't feel bad about not seeing what I did, I just have a brain that's hard wired to hardcore wargaming anhd tactical thinking. And you caught on to the magnitude of kruge's stupidity PDQ. That putz probably didn't even transmit the data he had on geness to the klingon empire before heading off to genesis.

And uncloaking right in front of enterprise's torpedo tubes instead of circling the planet to try coming up behind her, heaven forbid he have done something like that.

About the lack of a transmission: Kruge was on a rogue mission, not one authorized by the Klingon government. They were, after all, in Federation space. If he had transmitted the data about Genesis, he would have alerted someone to what he was doing. He probably figured he'd get Genesis, take it back and present it to the High Council. Then they'd be so pleased with him that they'd let it slide that the mission was unauthorized. So, on that point alone, we can let him slide.
    About the lack of a transmission: Kruge was on a rogue mission, not one authorized by the Klingon government. They were, after all, in Federation space. If he had transmitted the data about Genesis, he would have alerted someone to what he was doing. He probably figured he'd get Genesis, take it back and present it to the High Council. Then they'd be so pleased with him that they'd let it slide that the mission was unauthorized. So, on that point alone, we can let him slide.

Excellent observation!
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972321 Posts: 1,202Member
    Also, some credit to Kruge; he was the only Klingon that found an empty ship and countdown suspicious. xD

Hunter, awesome stuff! Looking forward to seeing what you do with this.
    Vortex5972 wrote: »
    Also, some credit to Kruge; he was the only Klingon that found an empty ship and countdown suspicious. xD

Torg: "Sir, it's the only thing talking." *stands there with a dumb look on his face while the computer is counting down*

:lol:

Now that you mention it, none of the prominent Klingons were very smart in that film. :lol:
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972321 Posts: 1,202Member
    I love that even after Kruge screams "Get out! Get out of theerrree!!" the other Klingon's still standing there looking around at each other with a "WTF" expression.

To even it out, though, even Starfleet wasn't very smart in that movie. Why not have tractor beamed Enterprise back in? Or used the transporters? Do they only have one ship at the Fed Capital planet that's capable of flying?
    Vortex5972 wrote: »
    I love that even after Kruge screams "Get out! Get out of theerrree!!" the other Klingon's still standing there looking around at each other with a "WTF" expression.

To even it out, though, even Starfleet wasn't very smart in that movie. Why not have tractor beamed Enterprise back in? Or used the transporters? Do they only have one ship at the Fed Capital planet that's capable of flying?

The Enterprise was the fastest ship in the fleet, so no other ship but the Excelsior could catch it.

Cpt. Stiles: "I'm looking forward to breaking some of the Enterprise's speed records."

However, there was nothing wrong with spacedock locking on a tractor beam or someone there or on Earth beaming the crew off of the ship. I don't think they had the shields up because the ship was in bad shape at that point.
  • bosunbosun62 Posts: 0Member
    For the station to lock a tractor on the big E, the order has to be given and received. Remember which one of the regular bridge crew stayed behind? I've always believed that station communications experienced massive technical difficulties at that moment. Uhura wouldn't just sit on her butt when she had an opportunity to run interference for her shipmates.
    And the tractor beam may have had a sudden power failure, aye, laddie. :D

Also I think the transporter can be blocked by more than just shields, hell in the series a lot on "interfetence" blocked the damn thing. Scotty may have rigged a transporter blocker.
    Stealing the Enterprise is one of my favorite parts in all the Star Trek movies. Also you gotta love the cheesy sounds the Excelsior makes when it experiences "power failure." ;)
    Just so people know, the bit with enterprise and excellsior was inspired by star blazers series 2, right down to the original crew stealing the ship.
    Stealing the Enterprise is one of my favorite parts in all the Star Trek movies. Also you gotta love the cheesy sounds the Excelsior makes when it experiences "power failure." ;)

It's just a fun scene. Plus, the music is great. (I have the soundtrack :))
    I love the music. I think Star Trek has some of the best soundtracks in soundtrack history.
    Ok, I finally sat down and drew on where I want the grid lines. This will make it much easier for me to model quickly. There will a be a lot more grid lines than on any of my previous versions, since I'm kind of mimicking the style of NX-01.
    However, the grids will be thinner and more shallow, so the ship appears more smooth than the NX, like it's supposed to be. The hull color will match the TOS Enterprise as well.
    I'll be working on the old Connie today, and I hope to get some good WIP shots by tonight, but who know if I'll get that far. :/
    You're doing an old Connie too? :p
    You're doing an old Connie too? :p

Kind of. I'm revamping the materials and textures on an original Connie model to render a short 48th Anniversary animation. :)
    edited May 2020 #266
    Ok, I know I promised some renders two nights ago, but I didn't get the chance to even start on the model until today. Here is what I have planned for the saucer grid. Let me know what you think. It obviously won't look as prominent.

cPYmEsk.png
    Post edited by Hunter G on
    JES
  • McCMcC373 Posts: 704Member
    My only criticism is the trio of almost entirely unbroken bands you have just before (or at?) the "mound" rise. I'd put a few (but just a few) radial lines in here, too, but in places that aren't well-represented on the rest of the saucer. A horizontal cut straight cross, for instance, would work well there.

Otherwise, looks great! :thumb:
    McC wrote: »
    My only criticism is the trio of almost entirely unbroken bands you have just before (or at?) the "mound" rise. I'd put a few (but just a few) radial lines in here, too, but in places that aren't well-represented on the rest of the saucer. A horizontal cut straight cross, for instance, would work well there.

Otherwise, looks great! :thumb:

Those two bands that you're talking about won't be as deep as the other lines. They'll just be slight indentations (which means I really didn't have to draw those out). You'll see what I mean when it's finished. :)

Speaking of, there probably won't be any renders until Monday, because I'm going to bed now, and I'll be busy all weekend.
    That looks good. It reminds me of some of the grid patterns from Enterprise.
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    That's a very nice grid, I like the break from the norm. :)
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • wibblewibble1143 Weimar, GermanyPosts: 510Member
    Hey you are doing great work here. It is not really my taste but ... yeah thats just my taste, so nothing you have to worry about. What I do not really understand is why so many people here constantly apologize about the slow progress? I know I did it myselfe 'cause somehow I got the Impression that it is good manner or something but I don't know why that should be. I mean this is a hobby forum right? Its not like we have deadlines here. Relax, have fun with something you like to do. And The longer it takes the longer you can enjoy it.