Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DTOS Constitution Reboot (Finished)

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    I always say any progress is good progress. ;)

Like you say, it's a hobby. Most of us have day jobs, school, or whatever, some have families. There are a lot of things that can eat into leisure time, which is what this is.
  • Hunter GHunter G1905 Posts: 543Member
    That looks good. It reminds me of some of the grid patterns from Enterprise.

Good, that's what I'm going for. ;)
    Rekkert wrote: »
    That's a very nice grid, I like the break from the norm. :)

Awesome!
    wibble wrote: »
    Hey you are doing great work here. It is not really my taste but ... yeah thats just my taste, so nothing you have to worry about. What I do not really understand is why so many people here constantly apologize about the slow progress? I know I did it myselfe 'cause somehow I got the Impression that it is good manner or something but I don't know why that should be. I mean this is a hobby forum right? Its not like we have deadlines here. Relax, have fun with something you like to do. And The longer it takes the longer you can enjoy it.

I agree. I guess I was trying to speed things up because I start college in January, and when that starts, I'll have very little time to spend on this project. But that doesn't mean that I can't take you're advice! (Much needed)
    I always say any progress is good progress. ;)

Like you say, it's a hobby. Most of us have day jobs, school, or whatever, some have families. There are a lot of things that can eat into leisure time, which is what this is.

I wish this was my job. Hopefully one day it will be. :)
    edited May 2020 #274
    Here is the version 8 saucer, at last! I decided that I will do all progress renders with Blender's internal system instead of cycles, since it's much faster on my computer.

6vYyePt.png
    Post edited by Hunter G on
    JES
  • McCMcC373 Posts: 704Member
    That's because Blender Internal is faster than Cycles. Period. ;)

The saucer is looking great. :)
    That's because Blender Internal is faster than Cycles. Period. ;)
    Not remotely true, if you have a CUDA-capable graphics card.

If you don't, then there's no advantage to using Cycles whatsoever, unless you're heavy into realistic light modeling. But if you're equipped with a decent GPU with a few hundred or more CUDA cores, damn thing blazes and far outperforms Blender Internal any day of the week.
    OK, whatever. I only really tried it once and it was slow on my system. And, yes, my graphics card is CUDA capable. Though, I was also only messing around with a friend's model and didn't really do much with Cycles, so I can't call it a fair test.
    OK, whatever. I only really tried it once and it was slow on my system. And, yes, my graphics card is CUDA capable. Though, I was also only messing around with a friend's model and didn't really do much with Cycles, so I can't call it a fair test.
    Aha, it probably wasn't actually using the GPU, then. When you switch Cycles on, it defaults to a CPU compute. It has to be explicitly told to use GPU, and then needs a bunch of hand-tweaking of the settings to make it really perform. (I may or may not have spent many hours just futzing with Cycles settings... :argh: ).

Anyway, back to the real important stuff: Hunter G's model!
    Good to hear it looks good. One question. Does anyone think it's too detailed? I'm trying to make it detailed but smooth at the same time.

p.s. I'm excited because sometime in 2014 I'll be getting a super good gaming computer to use for my rendering. :)
    Hunter G wrote: »
    Good to hear it looks good. One question. Does anyone think it's too detailed? I'm trying to make it detailed but smooth at the same time.

p.s. I'm excited because sometime in 2014 I'll be getting a super good gaming computer to use for my rendering. :)

If you're going for more of an NX-01 successor look, it doesn't look too detailed. I've modeled a couple ships from that era and they have a lot of subtle detailing. That's good news about the new computer. At least, with this type of work, it's not hard to get a computer that's really going to perform well. You just need a gaming system because what works for gaming works for CGI too. :)
  • SaquistSaquist1 Posts: 0Member
    thelines do look too intense but I love the detail Hunter.
    Saquist wrote: »
    thelines do look too intense but I love the detail Hunter.
    This got me thinking, maybe I could do another version with a smoother look as well. After all, there are two different versions of the TOS Connie, the pilot version and the series version. This version could be the updated pilot version, since it's closer to the NX-01. I could do a more advanced version after I finish this one. What do you think?
    Absolutely, I could see this appearing as an NX successor
    So I've officially started college, and work. This means I'll have little time to work on this. However, it's still my goal to finish it before I finish my generals, so hang in there!
    edited May 2020 #286
    Here's the last update for a while, I think. I'm mostly done with the engines. Next I'll work of the bottom of the saucer. ;)

0RptVqM.png
    Post edited by Hunter G on
    JES
    Nice! Very cool.

If I had one critique, it's that the segmentation on the outer "shields" around the engines is very noticeable. Might be worth adding some extra subdivisions there.
  • oldmangregoldmangreg198 Woodland Hills, CAPosts: 1,339Member
    I see mesh errors:
    Version_8_impulse_enginesaa_zps5279e51d.png
    Your right to an opinion does not make your opinion valid.
  • Judge Death.Judge Death.1 Posts: 0Member
    One thought comes to me. That raised section in the rear middle, I was thinking the recessed area might be a heat vent so maybe some sort of dull red glow and grillwork to make it look like it's radiating waste heat from the impulse engines would look good and be technically plausible.
    McC wrote: »
    Nice! Very cool.

If I had one critique, it's that the segmentation on the outer "shields" around the engines is very noticeable. Might be worth adding some extra subdivisions there.

I hear you. Although I'm not using any sub-Ds on the model. I might have to remake the main impulse mesh.
    oldmangreg wrote: »
    I see mesh errors:
    Version_8_impulse_enginesaa_zps5279e51d.png

They're fixed now, thanks for pointing those out!
    One thought comes to me. That raised section in the rear middle, I was thinking the recessed area might be a heat vent so maybe some sort of dull red glow and grillwork to make it look like it's radiating waste heat from the impulse engines would look good and be technically plausible.

Sounds like a good idea to me, I'll try it.
    Hunter G wrote: »
    I hear you. Although I'm not using any sub-Ds on the model. I might have to remake the main impulse mesh.
    Maybe not! You might be able to get away with just adding a few more segments and then running Curve on it to clean up the shape, selecting the pre-existing points as the "Boundaries."
    Nice work on the impulse engines. :)
    McC wrote: »
    Maybe not! You might be able to get away with just adding a few more segments and then running Curve on it to clean up the shape, selecting the pre-existing points as the "Boundaries."

I'm not familiar with that tool. It sounds useful, I'll have to try it.
    Nice work on the impulse engines. :)

Thanks!
    Yeah, Hunter When you're done this will be the ship the Abramsprise should have been.
    I really hope you're able to complete it.
    Yeah, Hunter When you're done this will be the ship the Abramsprise should have been.
    I really hope you're able to complete it.

I hope so too.

BTW, I will be starting my original design, The Inceptor class soon, and I'll be working on the two projects whenever I have spare time. Thank you all again for the valuable feedback and critiques!
  • 1701TPA1701TPA5 Posts: 0Member
    Hi Hunter, , I just found your post - nice work : ) you're a very talented modeler

I Agree 100% : )
    something like this >
    http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=104094&d=1370885958
  • Judge Death.Judge Death.1 Posts: 0Member
    1701TPA wrote: »

Good pic, I'd never seen that before, good to know other peoole have ideas like mine.
    Hi Hunter, , I just found your post - nice work : ) you're a very talented modeler
    Although many of your TOS enhanced design elements seemed to be borrowed from several outstanding ST Fan CG Artists TOS builds, dating back as far as 2008-09 -- and if so, may be cool to offer some props to those fan artists that inspired you -- just a thought : )

Example: Looking at your thumb nail attachment of your Impulse engine design -- It looks like it was borrowed directly from deg's 2009 TOS 5.2 below <Atrist Deg3D>

Attachment not found.

Wow, I had no idea. Dang it, now I need to change it up a bit. Haha!
    Although many of your TOS enhanced design elements seemed to be borrowed from several outstanding ST Fan CG Artists TOS builds, dating back as far as 2008-09 -- and if so, may be cool to offer some props to those fan artists that inspired you -- just a thought : )

Example: Looking at your thumb nail attachment of your Impulse engine design -- It looks like it was borrowed directly from deg's 2009 TOS 5.2 below <Atrist Deg3D>

Attachment not found.

A private message is more appropriate to allow the artist to address these sort of concerns directly.
    A spectacle isn't necessary.

I personality don't see enough similarity to warrant the advisory and I am very familiar with Deg3D's work.
    A private message is more appropriate to allow the artist to address these sort of concerns directly.
    A spectacle isn't necessary. I personality don't see enough similarity to warrant the advisory and I am very familiar with Deg3D's work.

I Agree with you that a private message would have been more appropriate and deleted my original post.