Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Future SotL Calendar Idea/Request

2»

• spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    How the heck are they going to pull a calendar out of their butts in the time left? Unless they're going to do what they wanted to do for this year and use recycled images. :rolleyes:

Whoever is interested in this project should definitely stick with it, no matter what Rizzoli says. I think, if you want anything done in Star Trek anymore, it takes a big fan effort. It's sad, but there doesn't seem to be much "official" Trek being made anymore except for JJTrek and stuff based off of it. Meanwhile, some of the best Trek movies, stories, art, etc. being made today are being made by fans, IMHO.
    not all that relevant but...
    i should think, judging by the quality of much of the work(models and animation) on here, that with modern tools anyone with enough talent(and time) can single handedly make a film that perhaps rivals some of the original star trek or star wars movies. nowadays all you need to "transport" yourself to an alien planet is some images, a greenscreen, a camera and a computer. to create dogfights that would be unimaginable a few decades back all you need is some skill and some free software, sketchup/blender/etc.
  • LonewriterLonewriter236 Posts: 1,078Member
    MadKoiFish wrote: »
    I think KISS is what is called for here. Give restrictions for final image IE 1920X1200 and supply a vector based overlay that needs to remain a specific size in the final image. IE for 1920X1200 images my working rez is 3X that so I would downscale the image. Idea is continuity, so someone would be designated to make the monthly day layout in advance and everyone works to that.

And yes, I think it should just be open so there is a pool of images for each month. BUT no reposts. IE if you make a image for dec you cannot re-submit it for another month or year. Rules like credits should be followed. Images not displaying creds should be pulled etc. But this all req someone to step up and take control, manage the thread etc.

Biggest thing I can add is for people creating images, think different. Avoid beauty shots, avoid doing what has been done. IE huge space battles, drydock images, ships in fantasy solar systems. This goes for any genra. Try to think about your composition. Does it tell a story is there meaning behind what is shown.

Even with 2013 being sold and 2014 getting the go this project does not have to wait. EXP if it is not limited to Trek. Even if it IS no reason to wait.

You know more about this than anyone since you have done this in the real SOTL calendar (your Balmung image from last year was my favorite) I just have 1 question, what is a vector based overlay?
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    if there is some sci fi renders calendar being created i would be happy to create some renders for it, of my own models.
    nd yes, I think it should just be open so there is a pool of images for each month. BUT no reposts. IE if you make a image for dec you cannot re-submit it for another month or year
    as far as this idea is concerned i think it is fine to submit the same image as an entry for different months but obviously it can only be accepted for one of them, if the best images are to be used it should be the 12 best images people submit for the calendar rather than the best image submitted for each month. and perhaps try to make sure no individual artists has more than 1 image in it.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    not all that relevant but...
    i should think, judging by the quality of much of the work(models and animation) on here, that with modern tools anyone with enough talent(and time) can single handedly make a film that perhaps rivals some of the original star trek or star wars movies. nowadays all you need to "transport" yourself to an alien planet is some images, a greenscreen, a camera and a computer. to create dogfights that would be unimaginable a few decades back all you need is some skill and some free software, sketchup/blender/etc.

True, it's not relevant. :p

There are plenty of fan films that are made with green screen and CGI, (Star Trek and otherwise) some look better than others.
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9795 Posts: 5,323Member
    if there is some sci fi renders calendar being created i would be happy to create some renders for it, of my own models.

as far as this idea is concerned i think it is fine to submit the same image as an entry for different months but obviously it can only be accepted for one of them, if the best images are to be used it should be the 12 best images people submit for the calendar rather than the best image submitted for each month. and perhaps try to make sure no individual artists has more than 1 image in it.

I meant my comment for an open pool IE no voting no picking. Just a pool of submitted art people can then choose from. Less work for the organizers and more likely to live longer since people will not be dissuaded from contest like feel. Idea about no resubmissions is to avoid a larger pool of the same things. And if the pool is set up as a no contest or the like then it avoids repeating images on other months years. This also encourages more involvement and new work.

I also think we should be on a 1 or 2 month delay. So DEC posts are for Jan or Feb.
    Lonewriter wrote: »
    I just have 1 question, what is a vector based overlay?

Vector based overlay means the image or content is math not a raster or pixel image. This means you do not need to worry about alpha channels etc when placing the calendar graphic over the image. Sometimes alpha png @1:1 has some ugly dithering. That and the change some people do not know how to use alpha PNGs. (a png with 256level alpha information) It does not have to be just my thought.
    Each day we draw closer to the end.