Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Future SotL Calendar Idea/Request

BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1115 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,564Member
edited January 2013 in General Discussion #1
I was thinking how every year, the primary/dominant influence in the SotL calendar is always mostly the Federation and Starfleet, and I was thinking that it might be nice if a future edition of the calendar was dedicated exclusively to the more seldom-seen aliens of Trek. I'd like to see nice new and big images of ships like the Ferengi Marauder, the Vor'Cha or Negh'Var Klingon ships, the Cardassian Galor, and the TNG Romulan Warbird. So I figured I'd post a poll, and see how many other fans would like to see such a alien-themed SotL calendar. What say you?
Post edited by BolianAdmiral on
Tagged:

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Sorry, dude. The 2013 SOTL calendar is the last one for the foreseeable future. Don't worry, nobody told me either, I just figured it out on my own and then later confirmed it through a web search.
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1115 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,564Member
    WTF... what about that centerfold spread Andy Probert did of Wolf 359? Frak... this is sucky news.
  • biotechbiotech171 Posts: 0Member
    You could always put together an unoficial calender here.
    ^

That's an awesome idea! We should have a Sci-Fi Meshes yearly calendar! Proceeds from the sale could go to supporting the site.
    I used to have a Galor class (unfinished naturally) a few computers ago, might have another crack at her in the new year.
    biotech wrote: »
    You could always put together an unoficial calender here.

Excellent suggestion. :)
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Yeah, a good idea, A Sci-Fi-Meshes SotL calendar.
    But to be honest, I really hope that it will not just confine itself to Star Trek. Face it, there are only so many models and at some point in time, you run out of new images. So either you have to hope for new and good models, or you begin recycling the old ones.
    ^

I wholeheartedly agree... I think it'd be great to see some BSG, Star Wars, heck, even some Starship Troopers stuff in it... there's so much raw talent here, that there's likely no end to what could be done.
    Actually, it would probably be better if it was not Star Trek, or any other establishes universe, to avoid copyright issues. If anyone around here were to make a calendar, it should be comprised of original work. Unless you're just doing a series of calendar-style desktop images.
    Well, with the original-universe, you tend to get two main problems: Firstly it's so individual that only a few can relate and like, and secondly, such things are even harder to make and thus rarer...

Most of the ships are modelled a dozen times over and over. I don't think any copyright would be infringed if I make an image of a Sovereign and a Negh'Var swooping side-by-side on patrol before a nebula image from hubble, iven that I give credit to the creators of the models, the NASA for the image, and also given that I do not demand money for it.
  • LonewriterLonewriter236 Posts: 1,078Member
    I didn't know it was the last one. Glad I have almost every year. I wish I still had the first year, my copy got wet when my bedroom flooded. I'm going to miss it. As for making one, I'd gladly contribute to it. It would be great to see ships from other shows, especially BSG, SW and Firefly.
    Lets not bring money into it, that always causes problems.

How about each month people just put art toward that month, and at the end of the month there is a poll, and the winning art represents that month in the calendar?

That way the art can be trek, wars, anything you want, it just has to be good, and with no money exchanged no lawyers need to be consulted, no copyright infringed.
    biotech wrote: »
    Lets not bring money into it, that always causes problems.

How about each month people just put art toward that month, and at the end of the month there is a poll, and the winning art represents that month in the calendar?

That way the art can be trek, wars, anything you want, it just has to be good, and with no money exchanged no lawyers need to be consulted, no copyright infringed.

I like your idea about the poll but money would have to be decided, printing cost would have to be paid. Even if its printed on a home printer, supplies still have to be bought.
    ^

Unless of course, it was elected that the format of this thing be a "desktop calendar", that would be available as a public download at the end of each year... that might be one option.
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9779 Posts: 5,321Member
    I thought about bringing something like this to Doug as a possible digital only free release run like how the original was. Proposals then approval and work. But decided not to mention it.

A forum only IE SFM calendar in some digital form or other would be cool. IE format images to work in 16:10 16:9 4:3 etc Or better yet dual mon set ups. I still rely on a printed calendar though, I might not use it that often having it under the plexi of my desk is helpful exp when I can doodle on it with a sharpie! hah So maybe even something of a decent size to print at home.
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
    Perhaps we can have dual offers... the primary would be the downloadable desktop calendar, and the other would be the option to "buy" a printed one, with a donation to SFM?
    I do not think anything printed would be viable. Licenses etc not to mention volume printing fees vs costs.
    Yeah, printed is probably out. Like Dan said, there's licensing to cover the copyright issues. Having some money back to benefit SFM would be good but, after the licensing fees and the fee to have it printed, we'd probably be lucky to break even.
    Small time publishing here in the US sucks. I know in japan I could have a 50page book printed in sub 100 run for fairly cheap about 4USD per book here though your talking 24USD to break even. I do not even want to think about the costs for dual page full bleed on double weight with a gloss card stock cover.

When I mentioned printing I was thinking legal 8.5X14 or something printed by the user. I think it makes for a good format. Vert or horz.
    Attached are some tests mostly for color of a few things. Left was for a huge banner middle well that's STOL2013 and far right was a rez test. Inkjet which most probably have might result in better saturation. Biggest issue is when your making images for a display vs print is the backlight saturates so much more.
    laserprints01.jpg

ANYHOW I think some sort of formed group working on it to release a package official or not is a cool idea. Even if it is a monthly thread where people post by using a set template IE a huge PNG or PSD with the calendar component to be overlaid onto the work. This would give the artists something to plan with. STOL I always kept the prior years date layout in mind and left a few corners fairly clear for placement.
    ^

I agree, MKF. Print is out as an option then, and we're focusing on a downloadable file set only. You are correct about the issues with image quality in print vs. screen image.

I have a few images I would like to submit, and I would be happy to help set up a group for this, comprised of anyone who might be interested. Perhaps we could do a monthly poll or something, of what sci-fi universe or ships we would like featured? I'm open to any and all suggestions on this.
    MadKoiFish wrote: »
    Small time publishing here in the US sucks,

Yes, it does. That's because we have too many big publishers and they basically control the market. To even compete with them, you have to be pretty big yourself.

The best way to get anything published in the US outside of a big company is to do it yourself, but that takes a lot of money.

I'm liking the desktop idea. It's less hassle and won't cost money. People who like wall calendars can buy different ones or print the pictures out and hang them on the appropriate months (or do whatever with them.)
    Well, if anyone wants it as a printed version, he or she can take the downloaded form and print it out on their own A4 printers, or go to an @-cafe, where they have bigger printers to print it on bigger pages.
  • BuckaroohawkBuckaroohawk2 Posts: 0Member
    Glad I spotted this thread! Yes, unfortunately the SotL calendar has ended with the 2013 edition, and I doubt we'll see it's like again ... at least in printed form. Still ... the idea of a downloadable calendar is extremely intriguing, especially with so many talented artists in residence here. And the fact that it needn't conform strictly to "Star Trek" gives the idea a much wider appeal. Artwork from myriad sci-fi movies and TV shows, as well as all-original content, could be included. I also have a suggestion: Why limit it to a single image for each month. Wouldn't it be possible to let the user decide which images they'd like to use? Artists could subit images for each month, then the user chooses which they like best. Kind of a "build your own sci-fi calendar" concept. It's just a thought, something to add to the discussion. Of course, I'd be happy to contribute as well. The only other question is whether we can get everything in place in time. 2013 is only six days away, after all.
    ^

Well, this would obviously begin with a 2014 calendar, since we have an SotL for 2013. :D

That being said, I do like your idea of having a certain degree of user-customization. The issues this brings to my mind, at least, is how much this would complicate an otherwise fairly simple thing. For instance, would the "calendar" aspect of it simply be a vector calendar overlay, which the user could superimpose upon any given image, and if so, how would that work?

I can also fully understand the appeal of having multiple images for one month, but IMO personal opinion, this would make the "page" seem a bit too busy. Again, that's only my own personal opinion. Perhaps the user could choose his or her own personal favorite among the pack to be set as their "centerfold" image of the calendar?

Speaking of the centerfold, I was thinking of how a centerfold on a desktop calendar might or could possibly work. The idea I'm getting for the moment, is maybe that whichever image you specify as the "centerfold" image, will automatically set itself to remain on your screen as your desktop, no matter which month it is, unless of course you as the user, change it. In this way it would vary from the usual monthly images, which would of course use your computer's clock to change with each month.

Any thoughts on this?
    I like the idea of people can choose what pictures they want to download for their own custom calendar they print themselves. I will gladly submit renders of my Nova class and some others I'm working on.
    Jumping back in. I hope everyone had a Happy New Year. Since this idea still seems to be in the "brainstorming" phase, here's what I'm thinking: Let's say 15 artists submit images for January 2014. Instead of voting on one single image for that month, the user chooses which one they like best. The same thing is done for each month thereafter. This gives the user maximum control over the content, and has the added benefit of more artists getting more exposure. The only "bump in the road" would be where the actual calendar layout appears each month, but this can be solved a few different ways ...

1. The calendar is set up in the more familiar "square" format, with the image (likely 12" X 12") above the monthly layout.
    2. If we decide to go the classic SotL route, the placement of the calendar would either be: A. In the same location for every month, or B. predetermined in advance, and the artists have access so they can build their composition around it.

Both of these scenarios have their positives and negatives, but they're really the same problems any calendar production faces. With that in mind, we'd just need to decide which format is best for the project and where the submitted images will be posted. Any thoughts on these suggestions?
  • KillaBCKillaBC0 Posts: 0Member
    I'd be more than happy to contribute. On layout i'd stick with the classic SotL layout, make it more familiar.
    Good news, gang! Rizzoli, the current publisher of the SotL calendar, have reversed their decision. There WILL be a 2014 edition after all! Even so, I don't think that should deter this project ... if anyone is still interested in giving it a go.
    I think KISS is what is called for here. Give restrictions for final image IE 1920X1200 and supply a vector based overlay that needs to remain a specific size in the final image. IE for 1920X1200 images my working rez is 3X that so I would downscale the image. Idea is continuity, so someone would be designated to make the monthly day layout in advance and everyone works to that.

And yes, I think it should just be open so there is a pool of images for each month. BUT no reposts. IE if you make a image for dec you cannot re-submit it for another month or year. Rules like credits should be followed. Images not displaying creds should be pulled etc. But this all req someone to step up and take control, manage the thread etc.

Biggest thing I can add is for people creating images, think different. Avoid beauty shots, avoid doing what has been done. IE huge space battles, drydock images, ships in fantasy solar systems. This goes for any genra. Try to think about your composition. Does it tell a story is there meaning behind what is shown.

Even with 2013 being sold and 2014 getting the go this project does not have to wait. EXP if it is not limited to Trek. Even if it IS no reason to wait.
    Good news, gang! Rizzoli, the current publisher of the SotL calendar, have reversed their decision. There WILL be a 2014 edition after all! Even so, I don't think that should deter this project ... if anyone is still interested in giving it a go.

How the heck are they going to pull a calendar out of their butts in the time left? Unless they're going to do what they wanted to do for this year and use recycled images. :rolleyes:

Whoever is interested in this project should definitely stick with it, no matter what Rizzoli says. I think, if you want anything done in Star Trek anymore, it takes a big fan effort. It's sad, but there doesn't seem to be much "official" Trek being made anymore except for JJTrek and stuff based off of it. Meanwhile, some of the best Trek movies, stories, art, etc. being made today are being made by fans, IMHO.