Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Sorry I've Been Away So Long ...

BuckaroohawkBuckaroohawk2 Posts: 0Member
edited December 2012 in General Discussion #1
Hmmm. That title sounds like a country music song.
Hello again, everyone! I apologize for my long absence from this site. Life. Stuff. You know what I mean. Anyway, I'm planning a regular return after the New Year -- a return to the Forums, stuff to share with everyone, etc. -- but I'd like to ask a favor first, if I may. I've lost touch with much during my long sabbatical, including the great work from all the resident artists here. For some reason I cannot access the Gallery. I get kicked out of the site and can't log in again unless I close Internet Explorer then reopen, and even then I still can't get into the Gallery. I'm most curious about rendered images and animations using the CG models I've uploaded here. I'd very much like to see them so I can properly thank the artists. If you've featured any of my models or you know someone who has, would you please post a link to the work in a response below or send me a PM with the info. It would really mean a lot to me. I hope everyone here has been well. Thanks in advance for your help and I look forward to being in touch with you all again soon.

Cheers!
Craig
Post edited by Buckaroohawk on

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Hey, Craig. Do you mean that you can't view the gallery at all or you can't log in? Because nobody can log in to the gallery, it's been borked for ages. However, I can view it. I'd suggest trying a different web browser than IE and seeing if you're still having issues. (I use Firefox)
  • BuckaroohawkBuckaroohawk2 Posts: 0Member
    Hi, Chris!

Thanks for responding. When I log into scifi-meshes I can go anywhere on the site, but when I click the Gallery tab at the top of the page I'm automatically logged out and I can't log back in (even if I go back to the home page) unless I close then reopen IE. It happens every time I try to view the Gallery. I haven't tried any other browsers because, well, IE is the only one on my system, which is a dinosaur desktop. If you've got a line on any images or animations that feature my models a heads up would be much appreciated. Talk to you soon!
    I'm sorry to say, that's what happens to all of us when we hit the Gallery tab, no matter which browser or OS you're using. I'm currently running Firefox on Linux. It's some kind of problem with the gallery that has been an ongoing issue for a long time. So, nobody can even upload to the gallery here. As for your meshes, the only one I knew of being used in anything was the one Steve Neill was using for his film that he hasn't finished yet. But, I also don't get out much, I only frequent 3 CGI forums. ;)
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    Hi Buck! its been tough for me to find time to spend of SFM too, i poke my head in once every few weeks, drop a few sarcastic comments and leave for another few weeks.
    Since i got married back in april i've just not had enough free time. But anyway, good seeing y'all! :D
  • BuckaroohawkBuckaroohawk2 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks, guys! Congratulations on your recent nuptuals, homer!

I've had that problem trying to view the Gallery for a long time. It's actually one of the reasons why I kind of drifted away from here, though I didn't intend to completely vanish the way I did. Facebook is also partly to blame. Catching up with old friends can take up quite a bit of one's time. :)

I wonder why the problem of access to the Gallery hasn't been addressed. There is a great deal to see here, certainly, but the Gallery has always been at the top of my list. I loved browsing it, marveling at the artwork, and learning tips to improve my own. It's a powerful resource for bringing in new members, and I'm sorry to hear it seems to have gone neglected. Ah well, such is life, I suppose. I still have some fun things planned for 2013, so keep an eye open. I hope everyone had a Happy Holiday Season and I'll see you after the New Year!
    I wonder why the problem of access to the Gallery hasn't been addressed. There is a great deal to see here, certainly, but the Gallery has always been at the top of my list. I loved browsing it, marveling at the artwork, and learning tips to improve my own. It's a powerful resource for bringing in new members, and I'm sorry to hear it seems to have gone neglected.

I know what you mean. I used to check for new and exciting posts on the forums and then check the gallery to see if anything new had been added. Nowadays, I don't have to do that last part. :rolleyes:

I think one or two of the staff members replied that it was being "looked into," but that was early last year. I don't know if those staff members were anybody who had the ability to do anything about it, though. It definitely seems like nobody high up really cares about it, as it is approaching two years since it went FUBAR.
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1115 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,565Member
    No offense, but isn't the Finished Work forum kind of basically just like a gallery? I mean, all the work posted there is complete. Maybe that's why the gallery proper doesn't work anymore... it was replaced by the Finished Work area?
    Yeah, but there's always been a Finished Work forum and a Gallery. There are differences. For example, people can rate your work in the Gallery, but they can't in the the forum. Also, the Gallery makes it easier to view thumbnails of multiple works side-by-side, where you can't really do that in the forums unless they're posted in the same post. The Gallery also always sorts works by the date they were put in there or by rating, making it easier to view newer and popular works, whereas new posts can bump older and less popular threads in the forum.