Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Do you think a refund is due... waddya thinkl?

Randal RRandal R0 Posts: 0Member
edited December 2012 in General Discussion #1
Hello friends and fiends....Could use some input, feedback on this.

SHORT STORY
I take it in with a mouse/KB issue, am diagnosed it is a virus before I state anything else. Have it cleaned and scanned and still have issues.

DO you think I am entitled to a refund of the Bill which was for Virus clean to fix my issues?

LONG STORY

I just want to ask some opinions on this. A brief but accurate description.

I have had my mouse and Keyboard, constantly disconnecting or being disconnected by Windows, Drivers, or something.

After no solutions were found I took it the PC shop I had build it,
(Though Brian, the guy who did it, does not seem to be employed there anymore.),
First thing out of tech's mouth is it is a virus. I was hesitant to think this, but he kept it up and convinced me.

Brought it home, hooked it up, and first thing it audible alerts, freezes and forces me to hard boot as it was before.

Tech says bring it back in and we will scan it again. If that does not work a windows re-install will be necessary. I tried to tell him I do not think it a virus.

I had it in there less than 6 months ago, TUne up and Virus clean.
Also, just days before I took it in, I switched to ESET NOD 32.
It found and removed 15Inf. 2 Virus. Adware,malware and 1 trojan I believe.

He says, because I uninstalled AVG it let loose all the Quarantined Files.
TBH - I do not think AVG had any Quarantined files.
ALso, I can get infections just from visiting websites,,, Duh...

Still adamant, and claiming he removed tons of virus's from my machine.

I called back, and describe things, and then the tech starts talking about Power supply.
I take it again,,, they send it back saying it is working...

It is not, bring it back home same thing.....

So, Re-install Windows, thinking it is bad,corrupted drivers or something.

Well, after Reinstall of windows it kept doing it. making machine near useless.

Call tech, back and he starts saying it could be my GFX card (GTX 570 ),may be burning out, and that they burn out all the time, gamers will go through 2 or 3 a year.

This is poppycock! He is telling me that people spend $300-$600
2,3 times or more a year on replacing Gfx cards?

Hell , my P4 Dell that is 12 years old and still running C4d,AE,SV and 3d games
never needed a new Gfx card or had it melt.

Well, Sunday , after trying something, I figured out, the mouse would cut out, and somehow also disable KB.

Short story, the Mouse itself was bad.

So, they did not check the mouse, Obviously. Try a new mouse, no,
They just screamed Virus, and Scan and Charge and tell me it was chock full
of infections to justify the Scan and Charge/fee.

( personally I do not believe this.),

I take it in with a mouse/KB issue, am diagnosed it is a virus before I state anything else. Have it cleaned and scanned and still have issues.

DO you think I am entitled to a refund of the Bill which was for Virus clean to fix my issues?

AM really miffed about this, after almost 4 weeks of this, I end up
with having to reinstall all onto comp, lost all trace links for all scenes,models,materials,textures, and all have to be redone and assigned
again. >>> means months and months of rebuilding all saves. if ever.
And am OUT Almost $350.00 for a repair that was only actually $ 12.99

Might I also add, that I gave them the exact mouse and KB also. So, they had the bad mouse twice.

Could use some input. Thanks and Regards,

Randal R.

Addendum. Just spoke with em, and am even more convinced I have been snookered.

Tech admitted they did not use my mouse, theirs, and had the same issue with their mouse and fixed it..?
That how do I know it was not a virus that was doing it before the clean?

Doing a reinstall of OS and still have issue is proof enuff to me.
Saying I was loaded with Virus's but has no list or documentation of removal?

PFFFT maybe I ought to contact angie's list and the Better Business Bureau cuz I dont like the stink of this....

I am incensed
Post edited by Randal R on

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    This sounds like the computer version of taking your car for an oil change and they claim a bunch of stuff was wrong with it that wasn't and they "fixed" stuff that was never broken. So, yes, in my humble opinion, they reamed you and you should demand a refund. Clearly, the tech is inept and just wanted to make some money. Even if it had been a virus, which was as unlikely as you thought, a real tech should have been able to clean Windows. If that hadn't worked, that would mean that the virus had moved into another part of the computer and reinstalling Windows wouldn't help.

BTW, I'm a gamer and I play games on my PC a lot. I've had the same graphics card for over two years. The only reason to go through one, let alone two or three, a year is if they're cheap, unreliable cards. But, I built my main computer, so I know I have a good one.
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    the quickest I've had a graphics card die is about 4 years, and it was a cheap card, 2 or 3 a year is mental
  • GuerrillaGuerrilla789 HelsinkiPosts: 2,865Administrator
    Tech was full of ****. Even if the machine was loaded with malware and viruses, it wouldn't have really explained any of the symptoms. Someone competent might have checked the drivers first, followed by checking the actual device and then the usb controller on the motherboard, if a likely cause hadn't surfaced by then... then maybe offered a tune-up/scan type thing as an extra. Blaming the video card was absurd. I've had a couple burn out on me, but never anything newer than 4 years old, and again, the symptoms are completely different.

Getting your money back(you should probably make a claim anyway), I guess, would depend on how they billed the work. If they claim to have worked on your problem for x hours or whatever, then yes, you should get your money back. If they billed x hours of generic maintenance/clean up tasks, then technically you did get what you paid for.

[edit]: Disclaimer: just an opinion from someone who lives on an entirely different continent. YMMV.
    Comco: i entered it manually in the back end
    Join our fancy Discord Server!
  • HundredHundred268 Posts: 1,021Member
    Was it a Logitech mouse and keyboard. Becuase last year I bought a logitech MK 120 kb/mouse combo (for a spare computer), and the mouse has never really worked right at all. In fact it even caused a few programs to crash, it still does from time to time. And yes, you should definately get a refund, the tech didn't even consider the issue before giving a proper diagnosis.

EDIT: If the company does not want to give you a refund, I would definately report them to someone. At the least.

EDIT: Also, I'm not trying to say Logitech sells bad products, or that the MK 120 combo is a bad package. I'm only stating my experiences with this particular mouse. I've had numerous other Logitech mice and keyboards and have never had a single issue before this particular one. And, btw, the keyboard works just fine.
  • CoolhandCoolhand283 Mountain LairPosts: 1,294Member
    funny you mention that name, a good friend of mine swears that Logitech is the work of the devil or something, and has had no luck at all with any their products, I've never had one problem with them however, luck of the draw perhaps?

good luck with the claim anyway, what a complete rip! Sounds like that should have been diagnosed in seconds - it doesn't get more straightforward than a dodgy mouse. I've had these exact same issues with faulty USB peripherals, system hangs, funny windows beeps etc. Moving forward, you might be less inclined to call a techy in future, I've always found a spare/borrowed system to swap / test parts with and google or a helpful online geek (they're everywhere, for your convenience) can work wonders in DIY fixing computer probs.
  • traqtraq0 Posts: 0Member
    Somewhat OT, but I've always had nothing but the very best experiences with Logitech. (Except that the dog ate the [x] key once. Currently using K520+M310; best set - especially the mouse - I've *ever* had.)

As for your tech problems, I seriously doubt you'll get anywhere with complaints. Who are you going to complain to? Whose word will anyone take ("user" vs. "tech")? How much are you willing to invest (time, money) in recovering your $350? I'm lucky, I guess, to have a local computer guy that is highly competent. On top of it, I run linux, so he's always worked on my machine *personally* (his "guys" get all the wins and macs :p).

Just to share, my worst experience was with my stepson's netbook: an acer that I had set up to dual-boot Win7 and Ubuntu. Win7 was almost never used. He took it to visit his dad, where he had trouble connecting to the internet (using Ubuntu, not windows). "Someone" (an aunt, or something, who was a "computer tech") told him he had a virus (?) and that his HD needed to be defragmented (??)... Long story short, he came back with a netbook that wouldn't even turn on. Fortunately (I...guess?), there was no bill, either.
  • Randal RRandal R0 Posts: 0Member
    Well, I thank each and every one of you for your reply.

Unanimously across the board, I am justified in thinking I been had.

Yeah , it was logitech mouse..

I tried to deal with them, and they refused. For I can almost also, prove,
    that I had a clean machine to begin with. NO Refund.

Well, will be on the look out for a new place...

Have thought about filing a claim, also, BBB and maybe even Angie's List to boot. Prolly won't.
    Got more Videos I have not made yet...:)

Thanks all.

btw,

Tech posed that how do I know it was not a virus .... And I posed to him, Do you have documentation of your scan and Virus removal?

that got him ... he was no.......... I shud sue..... lol
    Thnx.
  • CoolhandCoolhand283 Mountain LairPosts: 1,294Member
    It's a shame they were so full of crap but probably best to move on.

Can't stress enough if you're working remotely, then its really useful to be able to troubleshoot your own machines, having a backup machine of similar capability, even just a bare bones for swapping parts into is great for peace of mind too.
  • SanderleeSanderlee1 Posts: 0Member
    Small Claims Court.
    Angie's List.

If you don't do at least one, they're just going to do it again to someone else.
  • HundredHundred268 Posts: 1,021Member
    No, you haven't necessarily been taken, but you should've asserted yourself more. You should've been more adamant about having them check your mouse and kb. If you were certain you didn't any viruses to begin with, and that you had cleaned it beforehand, you should've stood by that. And as soon as the guy told you that it was a virus, you should've told him that you had already cleaned it; and that you would just like him to test the mouse and keyboard. Which is something you could've done yourself... And that's what he saw, and that's what he took advantage of. Because as Coolhand stated, the web is packed with resources for anyone who's willing to atleast try to fix his or her own computer. I myself am by no means a tech, but I do know enough to not have to go to a computer repair shop. For any reason. And just about everyone I know brings their computers to me to fix/upgrade/build. And the few who don't bring them to me always give me the same line when they get their's back from the shop, "I should've brought it to you Kerv..." Because more often than not they find out that they were overcharged for services and or repairs that they didn't need.

EDIT:
    And as Sanderlee stated, you should atleast do something, because they will try/do it again.

EDIT:
    And what I mean by you haven't necessarily been taken, is that you still may have time to do something about this matter, if it didn't happen too long ago. I don't know what the statute of limitations are on something like this. But the longer you wait...
  • Randal RRandal R0 Posts: 0Member
    I thank all for replying.

I had appx 5 weeks of this issue, spent appx $350.00
    1/2 of that on own attempts at fixing and an extra HD for BU.

And trust me, I used and tried every solution I could find on net.
    Shop was last recourse as I could not do it.

There may be yet an issue , and it is definitely hardware related...but I have not had the problem since switching to an MS mouse.

I will just move on , and be all the wiser....

Regards,

Randal R.