Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DA few tweaks and it should be complete

DeksDeks200 Posts: 259Member
edited December 2012 in Finished Work #1
Hey everyone.
Since I've been rather busy with other things, I've had little to no time for Max.
I'm doing some work on the Nightfire, but decided to finally 'tweak' a few things on the NX-01.
I had to redo the transition that connects the warp pylons to the catamarans (always had PAINS with those things), added those saucer section lines that have been missing on the top/botom (same for the red lines around the thrusters)... made a few adjustments on the bridge area to darken the front windows, added some fake inside hallways to make it look like there's an interior on the saucer rim windows (had a render of one of the interiors I made but will likely mess around with some interiors later on and add them as textures in the future -though not too far out into the future).

Punched up the hull textures to 4000k or 8000k (since I already had them).
Render times vary, but are usually over 1 minute on my P7350 CPU (will hopefully get T9600 soon in order to speed things up seeing how I still don't have the necessary cash to get a new laptop with a proper quad core - desktop is not an option seeing how I'll probably be moving in the next year).
I put these renders in 1080p resolution (though for some reason I think scifi-meshes might be reducing the size).

Enjoy.
98777.jpg
98778.jpg
98779.jpg
98780.jpg
98781.jpg
98782.jpg
98783.jpg
98784.jpg
98785.jpg
Post edited by Deks on
Tagged:

• trekkitrekki939 Posts: 1,394Member
    Hi Deks,
    this is a fantastic object. I love the Enterprise serie and this Enterprise.
    Is this a free object ?
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Wow, that's a really great model. Fantastic work. :thumb:
    Deks wrote: »
    I put these renders in 1080p resolution (though for some reason I think scifi-meshes might be reducing the size).

They're still 1080p. Though, I don't know if it reduced the actual quality (I think it sometimes does that.) I don't usually use the attachments here, so I can't say for certain.
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Beautiful work, loving the level of detail in this. Always had a soft spot for the more boilerplate aesthetic of the NX-01 and your work really shows that off nicely. Great stuff.
  • JMoneyJMoney189 Posts: 127Member
    Great work! Topnotch all around! Love the lighting and the color in the renders as well.

I remember when you first posted your WIP thread for this project. It looked fantastic then as well, now it's over the top. :thumb:

JMoney
  • Chris2005Chris2005675 Posts: 3,096Member
    Mind-blowing.
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC 12GB
    1TB NVMe SSD, 2 x 1GB SATA SSD, 4TB external HDD
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • lennier1lennier1913 Posts: 1,280Member
    It's great to once again see the beast where a nacelle alone already has a trillion polygons! ;)
  • cazman101cazman1010 Posts: 0Member
    love it very nice work indeed.
  • tobiasrichtertobiasrichter333 Posts: 0Member
    Looks great. Cool detail. And 1 minute rendertime is really very quick.
  • DeksDeks200 Posts: 259Member
    lennier1 wrote: »
    It's great to once again see the beast where a nacelle alone already has a trillion polygons! ;)

The nacelle to my knowledge (at least in the pictures you se here) might have topped out at about 150 000 polygons in total - the first version (during the time it was a WIP) of the nacelle was in the ballpark of 350 000 polygons, which I later re-did (ah, the good old days).
    I think people were asking me whether I was insane for actually modelling those grids on the nav-lights. :D (ah, the nav-lights).

Total poly count today of the NX-01 is 1.808 million polygons (and about 42-ish hull lights in total - excluding the ones for the lighting itself).
    Most of the detail is hard-modeled. The pylons and catamarans (which are mesh-smoothed along with various hull details) are filled with on-hull modeled details that to my recollection were textures on the mesh used in the show - hence the higher poly count (though, I seem to recall that Lightwave meshes are inherently 'lighter' in polygon counts than Max meshes... usually by about 50% - probably due to different algorithms).

@Tobias
    The render-times of 1 minute (sometimes it can be 1 min and 50 seconds, depending on the angle) are not bad considering my P7350 cpu (and the high res hull textures).

@trekki
    The mesh is currently not 'free' in the sense that it is available to others for usage... but to be honest... I was actually thinking about declaring this mesh (as a resource) common heritage of all humans, and therefore allowing unrestricted access to it.

And, I appreciate the feedback.
  • NanoGatorNanoGator1 Posts: 0Member
    Very nice!
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    Great model, the aztec color and hull details are spot-on!
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • overseerfxoverseerfx0 Posts: 0Member
    Beautiful is the only word I have for this! Absolutely stunning detail and the polygon count is insane. Awesome, but insane! ;) Impressively fast render time, too, for a Dual Core. That's efficient mesh design right there. This would make for a great poster with Earth in the background!
  • mattcmattc181 Perth, AuPosts: 322Member
    Deks wrote: »
    hence the higher poly count (though, I seem to recall that Lightwave meshes are inherently 'lighter' in polygon counts than Max meshes... usually by about 50% - probably due to different algorithms).

Poly count is about half in LW, the model size is about a quarter of the max file size.
  • AdlerAdler0 Posts: 0Member
    Deks, it's great to see this again. It's been many years. Looking great. I think I've still got the old nacelle you sent me all those years ago on a DVD somewhere lol
  • StarshipStarship464 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    Deks, your scene setup and lights placement is perfect, as always. The textures looks magnific too. :)
    Since you mentioned the Nightfire, you could show us updates?
  • StarshipStarship464 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    mattc wrote: »
    Poly count is about half in LW, the model size is about a quarter of the max file size.

After a conversion, if this mesh is ported back to Max, it can keep the reduced size? Just curious...
  • mattcmattc181 Perth, AuPosts: 322Member
    Possibly, but I doubt it.
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    I wouldn't think so, my Enterprise-E is triple the size in max than it is in LW