Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Ideas for Universe Development

JafitJafit0 Posts: 0Member
Hi.

I'm working on a project to keep myself occupied, it takes the form of a tactical space combat game inspired by Faster Than Light among other things, but fully 3d and attempting to have more of a hard sci-fi feel. I've got things in mind for gameplay, but I'm looking for ideas for the game's setting. What different factions could be available to the player, their combat and design philosophies. Descriptions or concept art would be great too if you are so inclined.

Current idea for setting
Set at an indeterminate date in the future in the Sol system, after the rise and fall of a solar system spanning empire. Well developed colonies throughout the system have been established on a multitude of planets, moons and asteroids during the Golden Age, but they now fight among themselves for resources and influence. Earth remains the highest populated world in the system but is unrecognizable from this era. Sea levels have risen drasticly, old nations have fallen or amalgamated into completely different forms. Land Nations regularly clash over territory and Earth's drasticly depleted resources, particularly around the equatorial regions where much of the old Empire's space elevator infrastructure remains intact. Whether other starsystems were colonized during the Golden Age is unknown, but no contact has been made.

I'm asking for ideas because while the focus of gameplay will be on tactical encounters between ships, I'd still like the factions to be interesting and unusual, maybe even thought provoking rather than just 'Generic Cookie-Cutter United Earth Republic #163' vs 'Generic Colony Separatist Faction #164'.

I want to hear something new.

"Oh dear, the New Islamic Caliphate has cemented their control over the Central African space-elevators"

"The United Amexican Alliance is trying to invade the Amazonian Gulf States again"

"Jupiter and Saturn's orbits are reaching Periapsis, how will the Jupiter Kingdoms fare against Saturn's bandit warlords this year?"

Crazy, stupid, hopefully original.

Artistic Style

A sample of what I have so far, hopefully illustrating the direction I'm going in (WIP):

(Modern space shuttle orbiter included for scale reference)

cxHyf.png
UYL6l.png

Artistically I'd be looking for a good amount of diversity among different factions, but within set guidelines.

Inspired by modern tech and retro scifi, the ships in the game would have a near-future/hard sci-fi tech level and design. Believable looking ships and technology where you can recognize which bits would do what; thrusters, heatsinks, airlocks, etc. There is no FTL technology, no artificial gravity (apart from rotational), no force fields or shields, no starfighters or carriers (sorry), and around 50% of the ship's mass would consist of engines and/or fuel.

Some embellishment and stylization would be nice. but not too much. Also workable sensible spaceship designs. Symmetrical, believable, not like Eve Online :)

Anyway, if you have any suggestions I'd like to hear them.
98763.png
Tagged: